Author Topic: My sexual orientation and my positions on gay rights  (Read 152285 times)

Offline letxa2000

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: My sexual orientation and my positions on gay rights
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:21:41 pm »
And, contrary to letxa's comment, marriage has clearly evolved in terms of expectation and levels of equality between partners even in straight unions.

Actually that doesn't contradict anything I said, at least in a material way within the context of the discussion of gay rights.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:28:02 pm »
If what you want is to intentionally offend people that have a more traditional view of marriage then, well, I don't support that endeavor and you shouldn't be surprised that others don't, either.

I don't want to intentionally offend anyone.  I want what my parents have.  They have been married for over 40 years, and my mother has said to me, "I want to dance at your WEDDING, not your 'civil union'."

I want to know how my wedding would affect straight weddings/couples.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:46 pm »

I don't want to intentionally offend anyone.  I want what my parents have.  They have been married for over 40 years, and my mother has said to me, "I want to dance at your WEDDING, not your 'civil union'."

This is a great point Chuck.

Why would my hypothetical marriage to my girlfriend be offensive to anyone else's marriage?  I truly don't understand.  Why would it even have anything to do with anyone else's marriage? 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »
I don't expect churches to be forced to hold weddings.

First of all, we have gay churches that would be more than happy to accomodate us.  We don't have to force other churches to perform the ceremonies.

Secondly, plent of straight people get married in courthouses and other secular areas where religion is not used in the ceremony.

There's no reason that gay people can't have marriage.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline letxa2000

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:09 pm »

I have no problem with you having a wedding to celebrate your civil union.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:51 pm »

Is this really a matter of semantics or word-choice?  What do you really feel is the difference between a "wedding" and a "civil union"?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline letxa2000

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:36 pm »
Why would my hypothetical marriage to my girlfriend be offensive to anyone else's marriage?  I truly don't understand.  Why would it even have anything to do with anyone else's marriage? 

It doesn't effect anyone else's marriage.  But just as you want the word "marriage" to mean something to you--and apparently you think it's important enough to argue about--please understand that there are many others that want the word "marriage" to mean something a bit more conservative and traditional.  It's just how we use the word and it can be argued that it literally shouldn't matter to anyone.  But just as it is is clear that it does matter to you, please understand that it matters just as much to others that disagree with you.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 09:39:07 pm »
I'm in favor of a federal constitutional amendment that provides for civil unions that have the exact same legal status as marriage.  If what you want is equal rights then that'll do the job and I support it.  If what you want is to intentionally offend people that have a more traditional view of marriage then, well, I don't support that endeavor and you shouldn't be surprised that others don't, either. 

The reason I don't support these efforts at the state level is because if you get into a situation where different states have different rules regarding the matter than you have a headache such as one I read about somewhere where some state (RI?  VT?  Don't remember) couldn't grant a divorce to a gay couple because the state where they wanted the divorce didn't recognize the marriage in the first place.  To avoid that kind of incompatibility, any legal changes should be at the federal level.

What would they find offensive?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »

However, I do.

My relationship is just as loving, as special, and as important as any straight coupling, and it deserves to have THE SAME recognition as theirs does.

When I have a wedding, it will be to celebrate my marriage.

Offline letxa2000

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:33 pm »
However, I do.

My relationship is just as loving, as special, and as important as any straight coupling, and it deserves to have THE SAME recognition as theirs does.

When I have a wedding, it will be to celebrate my marriage.

Well, like I said, please understand that just as you attach importance to the word "marriage," so do others that disagree with you.  So while we may not agree, you should at least understand that it's not hard to understand that people can have just as much interest in blocking the attempts to redefine marriage as you have interest in redefining it.