Author Topic: Paper Bags  (Read 8613 times)

Offline akredhead

• Don't Say Much
    • Behind the Red
Re: Paper Bags
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »
How lonely an existance when all that matters to you can fit in a bag.

I'm presuming this has been discussed before, but as I'm new here, thought I'd chime in with a new thread and my take on the topic. 

The first time I saw the movie, I was immediately struck by the opening scene in which Ennis gets off the truck with a paper bag in his hand.   No suitcase, no duffel bag...just a solitary paper bag containing what he needs to work that summer.   Very poignant and humble, reflecting not only his poverty, but the simple life he came from.   

But this scene represents one of the several bookends in the movie.   When you first see Ennis, he is carrying the paper bag, the wind is blowing, and he is looking somewhat aimlessly around.    then flash to the end of the movie at the Twist house.   This is the only other time that you see Ennis with a paper bag.    Why in the world would Mrs Twist insist on putting the shirts into a paper bag?   Ennis folds the top of the bag down in the exact same manner as the opening scene, and as he steps out of the house...you see him carrying the paper bag, wind blowing, and Ennis looking aimlessly around.   

Two bookends, with the paper bags......his life began with Jack, his life was over with Jack's demise. 

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 01:08:56 am »
This thread is making me cry. Literally.

It's a beautiful, beautiful parallel.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 12:51:21 pm »
After all this time, and my being away from these forums for many weeks, I'm hooked again by this thread and the insightful thoughts here.  I always wondered where Ennis got the cloth bag he carried his belongings in when he left the mountain.  Maybe it was a sack that flour came in while they were up there.  Any other ideas?
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 01:12:46 pm »
Right...the first time, all that he owned was in the bag...the second time, all that mattered. 

I cannot imagine a better characterization of the scenes being discussed.  Excellent!

Everyone's comments on this thread are literally giving me goosebumps as I recall the scene in the physically and emotionally barren Twist(ed) house.  Parents' emotions twisted into decades' worth of knots, fingers twisted by years of hard labor in the fields and the house, hopes and dreams and affections of the once-young couple twisted into scrub brush and tumbleweed.  And the father's view that his son was, well, twisted in his plans to live with a man.

I have to believe that Ennis' visit was Mrs. Twist's first opportunity to have a real connection with someone who truly loved her son... and I believe she knew the whole story, knew exactly who was visiting on that sunny day.  To me, the bag into which she placed the shirts became a shroud for the most valuable part of her son that remained on earth -- the shirts which symbolized her son's ability to experience a love which she had likely never had the opportunity to feel or act on in her own life.  I ache for her lonliness, and for the quiet desperation she expressed when asking Ennis to come visit again.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 01:41:14 pm »
My God, Alec, I'm tearing up all over again!!!  Will the insights that this incredible film has evoked ever end?  Maybe not -- they'll just go on reverberating forever.  I am truly without words to express my feelings about all this . . . Iris.
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 06:05:58 pm »
"Reverberate" is TRULY a word which descirbes my ongoing experience of this story.   Thanks, Iris, for bringing it to mind!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 01:18:18 am »
After all this time, and my being away from these forums for many weeks, I'm hooked again by this thread and the insightful thoughts here.  I always wondered where Ennis got the cloth bag he carried his belongings in when he left the mountain.  Maybe it was a sack that flour came in while they were up there.  Any other ideas?

Now see, in that scene, he COULD have used another paper bag, but of course we would never believe that a paper bag would have survived all that time in the damp weather, so i presume it was a potato sac.  But also, it sets up the bookends....that is, if he used a paper bag in that good bye scene, then it would not be a perfect bookend with the paper bags at the beginning, and then at the end.

I'm sure someone also brought this up already, but I also wanted to add how well the paper bags ties in with the other main bookends.....the beginning of the movie has a dawn scene with a truck carrying Ennis going from right to left.  Ennis, of course, has the original paper bag in that truck.   Then after the Twist house, you see a dusk scene with the truck going left to right, and Ennis has the second more meaningful bag.   

Ang Lee is genius here:   Dawn to Dusk.... the twenty years summed up in a symbol of one day.   Dawn with meeting Jack, Dusk with losing Jack.   And the only thing that was different in those two scenes was the contents of a simple, poignant, humble paper bag.    Furthermore, and if I'm not mistaken, even after 20 years, one of the shirts in the bag at the end is the very same shirt Ennis is wearing when we first see him at the very beginning.  Pretty damn cool touch.   

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:46:40 pm by whiteoutofthemoon »
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: bookends
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 07:25:54 pm »
I found another pair of "bookend" scenes in the movie. I wonder if anyone else sees it this way. There is a corollary to the Ennis and Alma Thanksgiving scene and it's not the Childress T-giving. It's when Randall and Jack are sitting on the bench waiting for their wives to "powder their noses." In this scene, Jack is uncomfortable, just like Ennis is sitting at Monroe's table. Both scenes portray a confused exchange of words. Ennis's girls want him to be a rodeo star, and he tells them he is far from one. Jack wonders why women would "powder their noses" just to go home and go to bed. Shortly after, the women appear and it is eminently clear why they were "powdering;" it was a chance to gossip about their husbands and continue their exploration of what all they have in common, which they are finding to their dismay, is quite a lot. The nut of the two scenes is when a seemingly innocent comment mushrooms all out of proportion. Jack says, You'll like working for Roy Taylor, which inspires Randall's quiet seduction sequence...crappy house...lake...fish a little...drink whiskey. During this, we see that Jack has a fearful, anxious look, but also the cinematography is a mirror image of the Ennis/Alma Thanksgiving scene, with Jack in the foreground, out of focus, and the accuser (Randall) in the midground, sharp. And in both of the scenes, the spouses are away.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 02:54:13 am »
F-R, you are so observant!  :)

Another thing. In both cases, there is earlier awkward tension between the lead character and his spouse (or ex). Lureen's "husbands never wanna dance with their wives" and Alma's queasy expression at the dinner table. In both cases, the men deflect it by turning friendly attention to some other female at the table: Jenny (and Alma Jr.) in one case, LaSahwn in the other.

It's a lucky thing Jack didn't grab Randall's wrist and threaten to make him eat the floor ... or is it?  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 07:33:51 pm »
Let's look for more bookends when we watch the movie together tomorrow.
"chewing gum and duct tape"