Author Topic: Paper Bags  (Read 8618 times)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Paper Bags
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 08:50:44 pm »
Gorgeous thread.
Ennis starts out and ends with all that matters in a paper bag.

Can I add one thing:
When Ennis comes down the mountain, he no longer has a paper bag, but he has a cloth bag.  It is a cotton sugar bag. And the brand name of the sugar was Crystal.

Crystal Granulated Sugar. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 07:12:42 pm »
IT occurred to me the last time I saw the film (which was on the big screen, thanks to BayCityJohn) that the paper bags serve a similar function to the bucket that we often see in connection with Jack on the mountain or whenever Ennis is thinking of Jack.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 03:06:04 pm »
Portentious appearance of an empty bag:

"Well, see you around, I guess." The wind tumbled an empty feed bag down the street until it fetched up under his truck.

That was Jack's truck, of course/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 11:07:53 am »

Anyone else here of the opinion that the buckets and bags, whether of the paper, fabric, or canvas variety, are THE SAME??

I'm watching the DVD today, just to look for buckets and bags!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 09:36:03 am »
I just saw this thread for the first time. I noticed that too about the paper bags in the begining and at the twist house. I thought it was just me.LOL
This community is showing me I'm not as different as I have been thinking.
I remember being struck when Ennis gets out of the truck that all he had was in a paper bag and how sad that was. When Mrs Twist puts the shirts in the bag you can't just let the fact that she's putting them in the same type of bag go by. Someone earlier put it so beautifully"Int he begining all he owned was in a paper bag at the end all he cared about was".
So beautifully put. This movie, this story is so deep and so multifaceted. Between the directors,actors and Annie herself, this whole presentation is a work of genius from start to finish.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"