Author Topic: Please contact your senators  (Read 5875 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Please contact your senators
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 02:09:45 pm »
Or like Illinois or Minnesota, for that matter.

Colorado would be significantly improved if Colorado Springs would just secede and join Texas or something.  :P

I think the most conservative areas, actually, are suburban areas along the Front Range. But it's pretty easy to convince people in the rural areas that liberal folks are out to steal their freedom, and in cases like this, small-mindedness and bigotry often beat out libertarian tendencies in the rural areas.

I predict that my part of the state will be split on those two measures. Letters to the editor in the local paper should be getting ugly pretty fast.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 06:26:43 pm »
My state is completely hopeless.  All of its Representatives are Republican except one and he is a conservative Democrat.  Both of our senators are conservative Republicans.  We have several good Democrats that would make our state better and more accepting of others but the leaders of this state reflect the will of the majority of the people.  My state is a red state that is considered southern but is very similar to its next door neighbors in Indiana and West Virginia.  There is no chance that our present representatives or two senators would lift a finger to stop the discrimination amendment.  They are all playing up to the "Bible thumping" preachers in this very conservative state.  Some of the state colleges are a little more sympathetic to diversity but state wide we are not much different today than in 1963 or 1984.  The people would listen to the state leaders if they would speak out against discrimination but they won't do that.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 06:46:01 pm »
Or like Illinois or Minnesota, for that matter.

You might be right about Illinois. I am still pretty unfamiliar with politics outside of Chicago (or inside of Chicago, for that matter). But in Minnesota, many small town and rural areas have historically been pretty liberal -- the Democratic party there is called the DFL for Democrat-Farmer-Laborer, the party of farmers and Iron Range miners as well as famous liberal urbanites like Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale and Paul Wellstone. Most MN governors and other public officials have been Democrats, along with occasional very moderate Republicans.

Sadly, like everywhere else in the U.S., that's changing --  the state is becoming noticably more conservative. Though my impression is that it's the suburbs that are the hotbed of conservatism.

There! More than anyone outside the state would ever want to know about Minnesota politics.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:39:01 pm by latjoreme »