Author Topic: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! The World of Soccer  (Read 101650 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! FIFA World Cup 2006
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2006, 06:31:52 pm »
Hey yall, I'm late to tune in to this thread but I've enjoyed a couple of matches -- Germany v. Costa Rica and Germany v. Poland. 

Honestly I'm hot for the German coach -- can't remember his name -- he's from Stuttgart, no?  My husband considered taking a little vacation to hometown Stuttgart to watch matches with friends, on the telly of course but with such different atmosphere.... thanks for sending some of that ambience, Anke!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2006, 07:24:24 pm »
Honestly I'm hot for the German coach -- can't remember his name -- he's from Stuttgart, no?  My husband considered taking a little vacation to hometown Stuttgart to watch matches with friends, on the telly of course but with such different atmosphere.... thanks for sending some of that ambience, Anke!

Hi Sarah!!  ;D

That German coach's name is Jürgen Klinsmann. He's no native of Stuttgart but a true "Schwabe" nevertheless...  ;)
And he was quite a striker in his active days!

Jürgen Klinsmann:

Giancarlo

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2006, 07:25:21 pm »
I'm fairly concerned about several european teams including Sweden, England and Germany. Their performances have been lackluster...

Sweden, like England, has been playing quite sloppy and barely made a goal in the last few minutes again. Sweden I think will be exiting this shortly, with England to follow if they do not quickly improve.

Though nearly all my predictions have been correct, I do not think these two teams will go far this year if the current performance issues persist.

Predictions for tomorrow:

Argentina versus Serbia and Montenegro: Argentina - Argentina is fresh from victory. Serbia is lacking a player after an injury hit one of their players, and their replacement just left. Serbia did put up a solid defense against the Netherlands, however I think Argentina is better then the Netherlands, and is not demoralized. So I say Argentina.

Netherlands versus Ivory Coast: Ivory Coast remains demoralized after their defeat against Argentina, and I must give this one to the Netherlands.

Mexico versus Angola: Mexico is simply the better team, and I do think they will win. Though Angola did put a fight against Portugal, I do not see this lasting against the Mexican team. The Mexicans are fresh from victory against Iran.

Predictions for saturday:

Italy versus United States: ITALY - The US will be completely crushed in this round, and suffer at the hands of the superior Italian team. The Italians have a great offense and spectular defensive mode, which really showed against Ghana. The US will be out of the cup, just like Poland and Costa Rica. Let it be known, I also believe that this will be the US's worst performance since 1990.

Czech Republic versus Ghana: Czech Republic - Though this is a tough call, I do believe Ghana lacks a good offense, though having a solid defense. I believe the Czechs will be able to get at least one goal against Ghana. Let it be warned, Ghana plays very rough and will do anything to stay in the Cup.

Portugal versus Iran: Portugal - Hands down! Portugal will definitely be able to score against the fledging Iranian team. Iran is missing a key player or two I believe to injury.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2006, 10:08:23 pm »
Anke:
My husband has a few things to say... um, he's in the bathroom but he's yelling something and I'll type it as fast as I can:

Baeckerei Klinsmann, Stuttgart-Botnang -- best pretzels in town! -- he's their son.

HOWEVER:
The bakery was purchased by his parents in 1978.  So he wasn't born in the apartment over the store or anything.  Oopsie.

Giancarlo

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2006, 11:35:23 am »
Argentina really busted up Serbia, badly. This is it for Serbia. This was a huge victory for Argentina.

Argentina - 6
Serbia - 0

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:45:07 am by Giancarlo »

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2006, 11:41:12 am »
Anke:
My husband has a few things to say... um, he's in the bathroom but he's yelling something and I'll type it as fast as I can:

Baeckerei Klinsmann, Stuttgart-Botnang -- best pretzels in town! -- he's their son.

HOWEVER:
The bakery was purchased by his parents in 1978.  So he wasn't born in the apartment over the store or anything.  Oopsie.

Wow! Thanks for posting this Sarah. Yeah, I heard that Jürgen Klinsmann was a baker himself before he became a professional soccer player...

;D 

Giancarlo

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2006, 11:43:18 am »
I'm tired of the bias on Espn... I mean they keep saying the US must win against Italy.. yak yak... this is why I have watched the past game on the spanish channel. Anyone have this problem?

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2006, 11:46:03 am »
Argentina really busted up Serbia, badly. This is it for Serbia. This was a huge victory for Argentina.

Argentina - 6
Serbia - 0

Wow!
  :o

Gotta feel sorry for Serbia-Montenegro...   :'(

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2006, 11:51:38 am »

Gotta feel sorry for Serbia-Montenegro...   :'(

:'(  ... I wish they scored at least 1 goal ...  :-\

Giancarlo

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2006, 11:54:16 am »
Argentina as I predicted was just too good. Actually, they were more then I predicted. Serbia put up virtually no defense. They completely crumbled and Argentina was able to capitalize on that every time they had a chance. This performance sharply contrasts with their last world cup performance which was less then good. I think a lot of my old friends in Argentina are happy (I lived there from 2001-2003).