Author Topic: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow  (Read 63371 times)

Offline jmstwist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2006, 09:06:59 am »
Thank you Leslie, as time allows I definitely will check out the stories and all that Bettermost has to offer.
Jim

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44:13 pm »
A little teaser for chapter 17 of LMtYD!

“Can’t sleep?” Ennis finally found his voice.
   Jack squeezed the still glowing end of his cigarette with his thumb and forefinger until the embers were completely extinguished and then tossed the butt off to the side.
   “Nope.”
   “Got a lot on yer mind?”
   “Yep.”
   Ennis let it go at that, wouldn’t pry any farther unless Jack decided to share.  They sat in comfortable silence for a few more minutes, looking up at the sky, the new moon barely visible in the darkness, the stars the only light for miles.
   “Where were you in 1963?”
   Jack looked over at Ennis, surprised by his question.
   “What d’ya mean?”
   Ennis took a puff of his cigarette and then exhaled slowly.
   “I mean, where were ya, what were ya doin’?”
   Jack turned forward again, rested his elbows on his knees.  He thought.  Hard.
   “Jesus.  1963.  Seems like a million years ago.  Let’s see…”
   Antsy, he repositioned himself again, leaned back, rested a hand on the log to either side of him, and stared up at the dark sky.
   “ I was helpin’ my daddy out on the ranch when jobs were scarce.  But, I guess that was maybe the second year I’d tried ta get a job somewhere away from home.  I’d signed up with the Farm and Ranch Employment agency, hopin’ fer somethin’ good…”
   “What happened?”
   “I don’t remember.” Jack turned his head to the side, a funny grin on his face.  A memory was just beyond his reach, but he couldn’t manage to touch it.
   “I think the first summer I tried ta get away, we’d had a busy season at the ranch, busier than normal at least, and it turned out that my folks needed me more than I needed a job.  Then the next summer, I guess…my daddy, yeah that’s right, he got hurt, fell off his horse and threw out his back, needed my help again.  Shit, I thought I’d never get away.”
   Jack laughed. 
   “I’d already been rodeoin’ when I could, locally, whenever the rodeo would come in ta town, but the next summer, I decided ta call ranchin’ quits and took up ta tourin’.  Thought I was gonna be a famous bull rider or sometin’.”
He shook his head.  “Got me away from Lightenin’ Flat and that’s ‘bout all I wanted.”
   Ennis nodded then threw his own cigarette down. 
   “Why do you ask?  What were you doin’ in ’63?”
   “Believe it or not, I also signed up with Farm and Ranch Employment that summer.  KE had jest gotten married, and I had nowhere ta go.”
   Jack raised his eyebrows.  “Oh really?”
   “Yeah, I’d gotten a job with ‘em too.  But, uh, this friend a’ KE’s also needed some help with his spread, was short handed that summer, so my brother decided ta help me out and told his buddy, name a’ Carden, that I was lookin’ fer work.”
   Ennis took in a deep breath; let it out.
   “Anyway, I turned down the job that F.R.E had assigned me and went to work cleanin’ up horse shit fer a summer.  That November I married my ex-wife.”
   Jack was silent.  He wasn’t sure why Ennis had brought this up.
   “Don’t ya get it?”
   Jack shook his head.  Ennis sighed.
   “Do ya remember what job ya’d been assigned to that summer?”

More to come tomorrow after 4!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2006, 08:15:14 am »
Oh..I love teasers. Thanks!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2006, 10:27:15 am »
More to come tomorrow after 4!  :)

:( Now, because of the time difference, I will have to wait until Thursday!  :'(

Helen

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2006, 02:23:16 pm »
What a teaser!!

Can't wait to read the whole chapter, and hopefully if it's not too long after 4, I'll get to read it before bedtime :)

Offline beeple

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2006, 04:33:37 pm »
 :D TEASER!! i'm so happy to have read this!  i was about to die of boredom at work! (shh..) according to marakesh, the chapter will be up by 5:30 PM EST.  that means ONE HOUR! i can barely contain myself.  ;D

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2006, 08:00:03 pm »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2006, 11:57:14 pm »
Dunno why I have the honor of being first...I always check your site 3-4 tomes a day, that's why.

It's so funny; I feel like sayhing my prayers are with all of your cfharacters, when you're the boss all the time!

Left feedback on LJ...

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline jmstwist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2006, 08:50:15 am »
Wow, this chapter hit hard, I loved Jack's reaction when he realized he and Ennis could have been together in '63, I felt that way along with him - very good writing!  I also understand Ennis' hesitancy and wanting the extra week together at home to help him sort things out, it's been a rough month for him too.  I love the urgency of Jack needing to get back to Eliza and Ennis' not wanting him to go but understanding the need, and also fearful for what may await Jack in Childress.  Ennis giving his shirt to Jack and telling him to bring it back was heartbreaking, different that what the story Ennis would have done I'm sure. It will be very interesting to see how Ennis thinks this through while Jack is away. I love this whole story Marakesh, it hits hard right where it needs to hit, I can't wait for more!
Jim

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2006, 09:41:48 am »
Hey there Jim, nice to see you back here again.  I,m wondering what Jack is going to say to Laureen, about where he,s been the past week, why he hasnt answered his cellphone and more importantly, when he inevitably tells her whats been going on.  I predict a riot.  Of course he had to go back, his grandaughter could die,so he has to be there.  I wonder if he,ll manage to ring Ennis whilst he,s away and let him know whats going on.  My heart is in my mouth Marakesh.  Btw Jim, do you remember chapter 8, where Jack was lying on Ennis,s couch having a dream?  Wasnt that hot!! :o :o :o :o  and then the phone rang right at the crucial moment, damn, lol. ::) ::). Just a quick pic of our boys when they were younger.. something to drool over.(and I know Jack was peeking out of the corner of his eye. wouldnt you? I would.) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Always and forever. J&E.xx