Author Topic: "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DAY" IN SAN FRANCISCO - It's Official  (Read 9535 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DAY" IN SAN FRANCISCO - It's Official
« on: June 09, 2006, 07:11:37 pm »
For those not following the Castro-SF Thread:

;D    Late breaking news from San Francisco!     ;D 

The Honorable Bevan Dufty, representing District 8 (in which the Castro Theater is located) on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors has issued a Proclamation officially declaring June 12, 2006 "Brokeback Mountain Day" in San Francisco!       :D :o

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DAY IN SAN FRANCISCO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEREAS, The award-winning movie, Brokeback Mountain, represents the finest in direction, acting, cinematography, scenery, and musical score; and

WHEREAS, The screenplay and the short story upon which Brokeback Mountain is based are both excellent works in their own right; and   

WHEREAS, Both the movie and story have deeply affected and brought people of all ages, genders, and sexual orientations together; and

WHEREAS, Brokeback Mountain has transformed countless lives by inspiring people to take action to make major life changes, and has helped people to overcome long-held prejudicial beliefs; and

WHEREAS, Brokeback Mountain has opened up a nation-wide dialog on the important issues of homophobia, same-sex marriage, and human rights in general; and

WHEREAS, There will be a special showing of Brokeback Mountain at the historic Castro Theater June 12, 2006; and

WHEREAS, People will be flying to San Francisco from places throughout the United States, including New York, Florida, Washington, and southern California specifically to attend this special showing of Brokeback Mountain; now therefore be it

RESOLVED, That June 12, 2006 be proclaimed "Brokeback Mountain Day" in San Francisco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is credited to Pete for all of his hard work on this.  We are truly grateful.   ;)

Quote from: ptannen
With my experience as a former City and County of San Francisco employee, I spoke to Supervisor Dufty to suggest this proclamation and worked behind the scenes with his staff to be sure that this happened.  I want to thank Eric for his help and encouragement and thank Jeff Wrangler and Leslie (lnicoll) for their suggestions and proofreading.  The list of places people are flying in from is not complete; as it was the list I had a few weeks ago when I drafted this proclamation.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:14:41 pm by sfericsf »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DAY" IN SAN FRANCISCO - It's Official
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:13:15 pm »
I was just about to post this Eric...great news, huh? Boy I wish I could be with you guys on Monday...but I'll be there in spirit. Raise a toast to me, willya?

Hugs and more,
Leslie
xoxox
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 10:15:36 pm »

Pete, Eric, Leslie, Jeff - this is wonderful, and so are you all !!!!

:-*
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:34:09 pm »
HOW great is that!  You guys really are all wonderful.

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline beeple

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:48:37 pm »
wow! that's great! congrats to all involved!  ;D

will this be publicized at all? some sort of announcement? news? press conference? a parade! such great things must be given notice!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:55:17 pm by beeple »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:49:46 pm »
I am very happy to have contributed to this even in a small way.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:33:28 pm »
that is so cool. thanx to all of you who worked behind the scene to make this an official day.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:08 am »
See you all on Brokeback Mountain Day.  :)

Pete, Eric, Jeff, Leslie, I'm proud to know you.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 12:25:15 am »
Thats on Vic's b-day too! 

Brokeback Mountain Day!  I like the sound of that...

Offline Ellemeno