Author Topic: "Ennis...girls don't fall in love with fun!"  (Read 16201 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Ennis...girls don't fall in love with fun!"
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 01:31:24 pm »
Forgive me if any of this got said above, I mostly read it all.

My memory is that the progression that leads up to Ennis getting involved with Cassie are: Alma confronts Ennis about Jack Nasty (which freaks him out unbelievably), then immediately comes the "you ever get the feeling people know?" scene, which leads immediately to Ennis finding Cassie's feet inhis lap.  I think he mostly gets involved with her so people won't wonder about him.  

I think he stays involved with her out of a sense of safety from people's wondering, and though gay, he can see she's a good-looking little gal, and she seems very accomodating to him.  And if it's not Jack he's with, it kind of doesn't matter who it is.  As to how he breaks up with her, I think he is so depressed by the lake scene as to become nearly inert, and he just doesn't have it in him to function enough to be courteous.  Not to mention that I'm sure he felt that she wouldn't make it easy to untangle her Chilean sheep from his.  So he took the cowardly way out.  He certainly should have said some little word after five fuckin' years together.  But in the pie scene, I think he clearly shows that he does feel like a schmuck for how he's treated her.

On to the original question - what does Cassie see in Ennis?   Well, he turns us into jabbering droolers, so isn't that enough?  I think what people have said - Respectful, pleasant, hard worker, and also very clean for a cowboy.  I imagine Ennis has walked through his whole life oblivious that almost every female of any age who meets him thinks he's the hottest thing around.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 01:33:36 pm by Elle-Effen'-Meno »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 02:05:21 pm »

On to the original question - what does Cassie see in Ennis?   Well, he turns us into jabbering droolers, so isn't that enough?  I think what people have said - Respectful, pleasant, hard worker, and also very clean for a cowboy.  I imagine Ennis has walked through his whole life oblivious that almost every female of any age who meets him thinks he's the hottest thing around. 

way t'get us back on topic Elle-Effen'Meno!!   :laugh:

Katherine:  I am in the process of reading old threads and looking to see if the topic we have been discussing has already been started in another thread, otherwise I am thinking of starting a new thread.  Your last reply has given me much fodder to digest, thank YOU!!  Talk to you again soon, I hope,  :-*

Jane
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 02:30:22 pm »
...snip...On to the original question - what does Cassie see in Ennis?   Well, he turns us into jabbering droolers, so isn't that enough?  I think what people have said - Respectful, pleasant, hard worker, and also very clean for a cowboy.  I imagine Ennis has walked through his whole life oblivious that almost every female of any age who meets him thinks he's the hottest thing around.  

Add to that any gay man thinking he's the hottest thing around too! 

Actually this makes it all the more sad for Alma then Cassie - they probably both thought what a great catch they had, albeit on the superficial level of goodlooks.  And on the other hand, although Jack was "lucky" in that he turned Ennis's  head & heart (spun right around in fact), he was never able to show off to anyone or feel that sense of pride that comes from an acknowledgement of a relationship from your family, peers or just in public. 
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 04:48:39 pm »
On to the original question - what does Cassie see in Ennis?   Well, he turns us into jabbering droolers, so isn't that enough?  I think what people have said - Respectful, pleasant, hard worker, and also very clean for a cowboy.  I imagine Ennis has walked through his whole life oblivious that almost every female of any age who meets him thinks he's the hottest thing around. 

I sure as hell agree with you, Elle (and Nic), you know I do. But -- and I find this hard to believe, myself -- it has come to my attention that there are people in this world, female and male, who DON'T think he's the hottest thing around. Only the second hottest thing.

This ...

I think he stays involved with her out of a sense of safety from people's wondering, and though gay, he can see she's a good-looking little gal, and she seems very accomodating to him.  And if it's not Jack he's with, it kind of doesn't matter who it is.  As to how he breaks up with her, I think he is so depressed by the lake scene as to become nearly inert, and he just doesn't have it in him to function enough to be courteous.  Not to mention that I'm sure he felt that she wouldn't make it easy to untangle her Chilean sheep from his.  So he took the cowardly way out.  He certainly should have said some little word after five fuckin' years together.  But in the pie scene, I think he clearly shows that he does feel like a schmuck for how he's treated her.

... seems exactly right, and is very well expressed. (Especially good deployment of Brokieisms!)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 05:05:29 pm »
But -- and I find this hard to believe, myself -- it has come to my attention that there are people in this world, female and male, who DON'T think he's the hottest thing around. Only the second hottest thing.

Yes, that would be me...

... seems exactly right, and is very well expressed. (Especially good deployment of Brokieisms!)

I agree.  hunerd percent.

Not to mention that I'm sure he felt that she wouldn't make it easy to untangle her Chilean sheep from his.  So he took the cowardly way out.  He certainly should have said some little word after five fuckin' years together.  But in the pie scene, I think he clearly shows that he does feel like a schmuck for how he's treated her.

I wish I'd a written that.
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 05:51:36 pm »
Katherine:  I am in the process of reading old threads and looking to see if the topic we have been discussing has already been started in another thread, otherwise I am thinking of starting a new thread.  Your last reply has given me much fodder to digest, thank YOU!!  Talk to you again soon, I hope,  :-*

Sorry, Jane -- I meant to respond to this earlier and somehow got distracted by the "hottest thing around" discussion.  ::)

(Speaking of which, does :P signify drooling or yuck? I've seen it used both ways.)

Anyway, Jane, I would encourage you to start a new thread; I don't think it has been discussed anytime recently, and there is always plenty to say about it!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 10:19:09 pm »
bump
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming