Author Topic: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?  (Read 18585 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 01:33:21 am »
Oh, the Witches Walk sounds like FUN! And spooky! I'd love it! :D

Do they celebrate St. Maarten's Day in Belgium Fabienne?

Yes! But only in a small part of Belgium. Sint Maarten is celebrated in the region of the city of Aalst. Many kids get their presents from Sint Maarten there on November 11th instead of Sint Nicolas on december 6th.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 01:57:48 am »
I clicked four disparate choices, yet all true:

Attend a Halloween party
Take the kids Trick-or-Treating
Stay at home and spend time on Bettermost
I don't celebrate Halloween

I would pretty much ignore Halloween, if I could.  I'd rather stay home and be on BetterMost.  But I have a kid, and so far she was young enough that she didn't quite know about trick or treating, so I didn't have to take her, but the cat's out of the bag, and we're going this year.  Also, we have friends who have a Halloween party every year, and so we go, although I wind up bailing on it about half the time at the last moment.  I'm just not into creepy.

Now Thanksgiving is a different story.  I love that holiday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:58 am »
I'm really not into creepy either, but I've always loved the make-believe aspect of Halloween.  :D

October is my favorite month, and I guess I love both the fall holidays, Halloween and Thanksgiving.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
I had read that Halloween was starting to catch on in Sweden, but that ppl were becoming concerned about the Americanization of their culture and so it was dying out. Was this ever the case in Belgium?

I has never caught on over here. It's just something we know from American movies and tv series. Kids don't go trick or treating over here and I've never heard of a Halloween party over here.

I don't know where the tradition of the witches walk in my village came from. I grew up in another part of Belgium and it wasn't a tradition over there. I'm guessing there must be a Halloween link somewhere, but I'm not sure. I once read that Halloween has european/catholic roots, so maybe a witch walk is something that is done in other countries too.

But we're not really worried about Americanization.  ;)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:55 pm »
Hi Fabienne! Yes, Halloween did indeed originate in Europe. It's strange how Halloween has become such a big holiday in the US but not in other countries, since it was Europe that gave us Halloween to begin with! :)

From Wikipedia:

History

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain).[1] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes [2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5]

History of Name

The term Halloween is shortened from All Hallows' Even (both "even" and "eve" are abbreviations of "evening", but "Halloween" gets its "n" from "even") as it is the eve of "All Hallows' Day",[6] which is now also known as All Saints' Day. It was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions,[3] until Popes Gregory III and Gregory IV moved the old Christian feast of All Saints' Day from May 13 (which had itself been the date of a pagan holiday, the Feast of the Lemures) to November 1. In the ninth century, the Church measured the day as starting at sunset, in accordance with the Florentine calendar. Although All Saints' Day is now considered to occur one day after Halloween, the two holidays were, at that time, celebrated on the same day. Liturgically, the Church traditionally celebrated that day as the Vigil of All Saints, and, until 1970, a day of fasting as well. Like other vigils, it was celebrated on the previous day if it fell on a Sunday, although secular celebrations of the holiday remained on the 31st. The Vigil was suppressed in 1955, but was later restored in the post-Vatican II calendar.

Full Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
I voted 'don't celebrate halloween'.
It's not an Oz thing, 'though there are a few people (kids) in Oz who would like to introduce it here. Maybe they see too many american TV shows, and visit McDonalds too often.
But someone is bound to promote it if they think it's a chance to sell something. Probably sweet manufacturers.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »
awww.....the little 'roos want to celebrate Halloween!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
I guess they'll know how to do it from all that TV watching. AND with the appropriate accent.  :-\

(groan)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »
I guess they'll know how to do it from all that TV watching. AND with the appropriate accent.  :-\

(groan)

awwww!

*hugs Rob, then tickles him*  ;)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!