Author Topic: DVD w/deleted footage  (Read 11115 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
DVD w/deleted footage
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:40:14 am »
RELAX!     It doesn't exist....yet!

Back when the movie Titanic came out in 1997, people were already screaming for an extended version.   James Cameron had cut out alot of scenes that didn't flow smoothly or made the movie too long or boring for test audiences.

He was quick to point out that the Theater version WAS the drirectors cut.   He after all, did the editing and that was his final version.   But after a while, I guess he figured he could double his DVD sales by releasing an "Extended version" full of the deleted scenes and actors commentary.

Well, the disappointing part was that the deleted scenes were not inserted back into the movie where they were originally intended.   You have to watch them in pieces on a separate disc.   Yeah, its nice to see more of the story and characters, but I'd rather have the full movie intact with those scenes in place.

I sure hope that Ang Lee or Focus features doesn't make that same mistake with our BBM.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: DVD w/deleted footage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:43:40 am »
I agree, David.

Frankly, for me, if the deleted scenes aren't restored in their chronological position, I'd rather they not even bother.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:12 am »
I disagree. For one thing, I've got an electronic copy of a March, 2004 script, with a lot of the rumored deleted scenes in it. (Some of them were in the trailer -- Jack saying "If we're going to start working together, I reckon it's time we start drinking together." I might have the exact wording wrong; I'm going off memory of both.) And most of the deleted scenes wouldn't fit into the released movie. (The "drinking together" line occurs in place of "Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar," for instance, and there are a number of different scenes that lead to a version of the 2nd tent scene which, IMO, completely change the nature of the relationship on the mountain.)

I want to see the scenes, just because I can't get enough of Jack and Ennis. But I don't want them inserted into the movie, because they would be part of a different movie.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:30 am »
I'm the exact opposite actually, I want to see the extra scenes, but I do not want them inserted back into the movie.  I tend to agree that we already saw the "director's cut" and I'm afraid that adding more scenes to the movie would, for me, take away from one of the things that makes this movie so beautiful -- it's understated simplicity.  Ang Lee put nothing in there that didn't absolutely need to be in there.  I'm afraid that would change with the addition of new scenes.  I'd like to see them, but please don't mess with the movie!!

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 10:14:41 am »
I see what you're saying, nakymaton. I realize I'm splitting hairs over wording, but for me, I'd consider what you're talking about almost as "replaced" scenes, rather than "deleted" scenes. For example, if the "drinking" comment scene was "replaced" by the "Nice to know you, Ennis del Mar" scene, I'm not particularly interested in seeing it. What would interest me is any scenes that were simply cut but would "fit" back into the narrative. For example, I've seen stills of Ennis standing by the "grieving plain" where Jack's ashes will be buried, and of Ennis with a calf. I don't know if they were just publicity stills or shots from actual scenes that were cut, but if they are from cuts, I'd like to see them restored to their proper chronological place.

As to the effect of restoring the scenes, littleguitar, I appreciate what you're saying about the beauty of the simplicity of this film, but I guess I see this as almost a circular situation: You can't really tell the effect of these scenes on the overall film until you see them restored to their proper place. In the end, the effect might well come down to personal taste anyway. You may well feel they would take away from the movie, and I may well feel they would enhance it, and neither of us would be right and neither of us would be wrong. It would just be our personal taste.

Meanwhile, I'd just be happy to find a "full screen" DVD. All I can seem to locate is the "wide screen," and I've decided I want both for my video collection.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:55:02 am »
I see both your points.   But I see no reason why they can't release a two or three disc set.      One disc being the original version, the other the longer version, the third disc being "replaced" scenes and commentary.

LOL  I want it all!      Bloopers and out takes would be great too!   

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:04:52 am »

Meanwhile, I'd just be happy to find a "full screen" DVD. All I can seem to locate is the "wide screen," and I've decided I want both for my video collection.

That's easy. Order it from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGF0B4/qid=1150124335/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-7762499-3812162?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 11:08:19 am »
I see both your points.   But I see no reason why they can't release a two or three disc set.      One disc being the original version, the other the longer version, the third disc being "replaced" scenes and commentary.

LOL  I want it all!      Bloopers and out takes would be great too!   

I'm with you, David! It's all good!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:10:07 am »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 11:21:46 am »
Thanks, Leslie--didn't know Amazon had both versions. ~J.

Just think of me as your personal shopper, sweetie.  ;)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!