Author Topic: DVD w/deleted footage  (Read 11106 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: DVD w/deleted footage
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 11:26:12 am »
I'll just settle for any deleted scenes...

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 11:34:32 am »
I think I'd rather have deleted scenes be separate from the movie. Have they ever done that before, released a second edition with deleted scenes put back in where they were supposed to go? I've never heard of that, but I don't know nearly as much about movies as some people here....

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 11:44:14 am »
I think what has happened in the past is that a long movie gets chopped up to be shown on Television.  Then after many years, the shorter version is the only one remembered and sometimes put on VHS or DVD.      Then they'll rediscover the longer theatrical version.  The movie The Abyss was like this.      So was the classic comedy "Its a Mad mad mad mad World".    They found 20 extra minutes of lost footage and put it in the original and re-released the movie on DVD.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 12:18:54 pm »
I think what has happened in the past is that a long movie gets chopped up to be shown on Television.  Then after many years, the shorter version is the only one remembered and sometimes put on VHS or DVD.      Then they'll rediscover the longer theatrical version.  The movie The Abyss was like this.      So was the classic comedy "Its a Mad mad mad mad World".    They found 20 extra minutes of lost footage and put it in the original and re-released the movie on DVD.

Same thing with "A Star is Born" with Judy Garland. Apparently that had some sort of botch editing job and the director was furious (for years). Then, sometime much later (like the 25th anniversary edition) they actually did a whole big restore--found missing scenes and put them back in. There are some parts where they could only find the audio, not the actual movie, so they added that in--it just holds on a picture and you hear the talking. The movie makes more sense with the added parts restored.

"Holiday Inn" with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby has a blackface number for Lincoln's Birthday. I watched that movie for years on TV and never saw that scene...and then I bought the video and there was a scene I had never seen before.

"Sunset Boulevard" was supposed to have a different beginning--the Joe Gillis character (William Holden) is in the morgue, talking with the other bodies in the morgue about what happened to him. Audiences hated this scene in the test screening and they changed it to what is there now. There is a fragment (just a few minutes, not the whole scene, which was 10 minutes long) on DVD of the morgue scene.

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 12:53:07 pm »
You just know there is so much more we haven't seen yet..

Like this scene deleted from a camping trip.  Notice the BetterMost brand bean cans!

Or how about another view of Jacks arrival for the reunion kiss?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:51:38 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 02:16:08 pm »
The three Lord of the Rings movies were released with extra scenes put back in, so it's been done, and recently. For a lot of fans, the extended editions have become the definitive versions. (Not for me, though... I prefer the theatrical releases of all but The Two Towers, and I only prefer the extended version because I don't think the theatrical release was that good.) One of the downsides, to me, of having the super deluxe edition be different from the theatrical release is that all the commentaries for the LotR movies are on the extended edition. I would rather hear commentaries on the theatrical release, I think -- the LotR commentaries often discussed the missing material more than the choices made in putting together the initially released movie.

But, you know, I'll buy it regardless of what's on it. ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
Another movie that I thought did not benefit from being extended, Apocalypse Now... the Redux version  drives me out of my mind, and unfortunately that's the one I own.  Another one, Donnie Darko...

I don't know, I see what everyone is saying, but for me, the movie is as it should be and the deleted scenes, no matter how good, were taken out for a reason.  I want to see them because I'm curious, but I don't want the movie re-edited...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 02:37:29 pm »
You know, calling them "deleted scenes" implies that they were part of the movie, and then were cut out, for time constraints or for other reasons. But the script itself appears to have changed during filming -- even some scenes that aren't replaced by something else might not fit the development of the characters and the relationship as it ended up in the final edition. (The March 04 script I've seen has stuff that could be that scene David posted -- there's more banter about the beans that Ennis brought, including a comment from Jack about being willing to eat them out of Ennis's hand. ;D ;D And while I would love to see that innuendo (heck, I would love to see... no, I won't say it ;D ), and would love to see the line from the deleted hippy scene where Jack says "Ennis is pretty well hung-up," I don't think they would fit smoothly into the theatrical release of the movie.)

A scene of Ennis on the "grieving plain," though, would be lovely, I agree, Jeff.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 02:43:34 pm »
 :) when I received my copy of Sense and Sensibility which as you all know was directed by Ang Lee, there were a couple of deleted scenes in the features section - neither of those scenes would have added to the overall goodness of the film and I am so glad that they were deleted from the screen version :D

in my often humble opinion, I think that the scenes from most films that are deleted, weren't worthy of being in a finished film - that said, I am hoping that any deleted scenes from BBM are kept separate for viewing later if one wishes - in other words, the movie is perfect as is, no tampering necessary - sure I want to see them, but in a features section only................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 09:17:39 pm »
Bumping for the Evening crowd    ;D