Author Topic: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...  (Read 11547 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 01:41:38 pm »
It's been very difficult to wrap my head around David Fincher being talked about in association with Oscar.  Back in the day, he was extremely talented, but immature.  Years earlier, before I became acquainted with him, he had dropped out of high school to go work at Skywalker Ranch with Lucas. While his commercial works are bright, smart and refined, I have been a little stunned (not disappointed) that his filmwork is so dark.

A most apropos director for "Zodiac".

Well we'll see I suppose!  He's definitely a perfectionist...

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 02:12:34 pm »
I'm looking very much forward to Zodiac. What I've read about it has really peaked my interest. That aside, as long as Jake has a major role, I'll be there.  :-*

They can't possibly know at this stage exactly *when* the film will be ready for distribution, if there's still some filming to do...... They may yet decide on an earlier date. Though if January is the current best ETA, then I keep my fingers crossed there will be no further delays. Even so, Zodiac'll not get to some parts of Europe till many months after that.  :(

The only possible (and admittedly selfish) benefit I can see of the film being released in time to join the Oscar race, is that one or more nominations would ensure it gets to my corner of the globe sooner. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about the Oscars in relation to Zodiac or any other film, since the AMPAS has lost every ounze of credibility in my eyes. And frankly, I'd much rather Jake was out there acting in new films instead of using up his talent in rushing from one inane talk show to the next and attending awards ceremonies by the dozen for months on end like he did this year, campaigning. He'll get the good roles anyway, Oscars or no.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 03:43:44 pm »
You know, as long as it's worth the wait, I'll be satisfied. I've been waiting a long time for Southland Tales and according to the critics at Cannes, it isn't even worth the wait. (However, I'll still be seeing it as long as it's released.)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 03:46:13 pm »
You know, as long as it's worth the wait, I'll be satisfied. I've been waiting a long time for Southland Tales and according to the critics at Cannes, it isn't even worth the wait. (However, I'll still be seeing it as long as it's released.)

Southland Tales?  Doesn't that have Justin Timberlake in it?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:20 pm »
Yeah January-May is the WORST time to release a film!  Everyone is broke from X-mas celebrating and films have hardly any success...so I don't know whats up with that...

Well, BBM opened in January in a lot of places.  It was limited release until then, if I recall right.  Can't judge a movie by when it opens.

Normally, delays are bad news - there's problems or the movie stinks - but who knows?  'Titanic' opened late and over budget and made a billion bucks.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:38:58 pm »
Well, BBM opened in January in a lot of places.  It was limited release until then, if I recall right.  Can't judge a movie by when it opens.

Normally, delays are bad news - there's problems or the movie stinks - but who knows?  'Titanic' opened late and over budget and made a billion bucks.

I'm not judging a movie by when it opens...who ever judged the movie?

The difference between BBM and Zodiac is BBM was released in December (only limited) and it went wide in January....it was a good thing because of the Oscar season...it already had its foot in the door and was well know!  It was capitalizing off of its critical success!   But with Zodiac - if they plan to release it initially in January that is in fact a bad time for movies and the box office!  AND it won't be considered a 2006 movie therefore will not be able to capitalize on the 2006 Oscar season boost....like BBM! 

Look at this chart http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=01&p=.htm  Notice that the highest opening ever in January is 35 million.....now look at Mays...see the difference?

And yes Titanic opened a little late...but it wasn't in January...it was in December...right in the heart of the holiday season...

Trust me...this is what I do for a living....January is not the best time for movies!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 10:57:39 pm »
I'm not judging a movie by when it opens...who ever judged the movie?

The difference between BBM and Zodiac is BBM was released in December (only limited) and it went wide in January....it was a good thing because of the Oscar season...it already had its foot in the door and was well know!  It was capitalizing off of its critical success!   But with Zodiac - if they plan to release it initially in January that is in fact a bad time for movies and the box office!  AND it won't be considered a 2006 movie therefore will not be able to capitalize on the 2006 Oscar season boost....like BBM! 

Look at this chart http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=01&p=.htm  Notice that the highest opening ever in January is 35 million.....now look at Mays...see the difference?

And yes Titanic opened a little late...but it wasn't in January...it was in December...right in the heart of the holiday season...

Trust me...this is what I do for a living....January is not the best time for movies!

I bow to your expertise Chris, but isn't May also opening month for summer blockbusters?  Kinda hard to compare the winter movie season to that isn't it? 

After all, whatever anyone thought - most critics liked it - 'Cinderella Man' opened in the summer and died a quick death.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 11:13:12 pm »
I bow to your expertise Chris, but isn't May also opening month for summer blockbusters?  Kinda hard to compare the winter movie season to that isn't it? 

After all, whatever anyone thought - most critics liked it - 'Cinderella Man' opened in the summer and died a quick death.

Yes...May-Jul (summer) and Nov-Dec (fall) are the best times for movies...thats exactly why I'm confused about why they are releasing it in January...

There original plan was Nov 22...so it seems weird to me...

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:35:48 am »
Heath's movie "Candy" --although op-ening everywhere befroe here (apparently, Australia goes the long way around) will be in time...GodDAMN..no Jake till 07. Oh well, I may be dead by then, who knows?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:58 am »
Heath's movie "Candy" --although op-ening everywhere befroe here (apparently, Australia goes the long way around) will be in time...GodDAMN..no Jake till 07. Oh well, I may be dead by then, who knows?

I'm excited to see Candy!  But from the sounds of it, it may be too dark for the pussies at the AMPAS!!!