Author Topic: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?  (Read 17273 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:25 pm »
I have not been around much myself recently.

Kirk,

What a nice surprise that you are moving back!  Sounds like you and Nick are going so well.  I am very happy for you.  If someone is planning a SF reunion party, I am in.

Keep us posted with your CD and video.  Think you may be able to put a clip of the video on YouTube when it’s ready to be released?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2006, 08:29:29 am »
Y'all, we could have the SF Reunion Party in Colorado or Alberta. :)

Happy Housewarming, Kirk and Nick!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2006, 02:29:40 pm »
Hey Jenny -  So nice to see you on-line again.  I always look for the SF group so had to check out Kirk's news. 

Congrats definitely seem to be in order there.

Hope to see you both in Alberta.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 05:56:15 am »
Hey!  I see Kirk online!

How's it feel to be back in SF?

Update us please!!!  We've been missin you, friend!

:) :D :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:10 am »
Hi Lynne.  Got your pm as I was logging off and going to bed.  Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Not much to report here.  I finally went back into the show this past weekend.  Didn't get a refresher rehearsal.  One guy and the guy who's been his understudy since I left both called out sick on Saturday, so I got a call in the morning asking how I would feel about jumping back in.  I got to work an hour early to go over the steps and vocal parts on my own, asked any questions I needed answered, and back in I went that night.  Felt good to earn my pay.

Last I heard from Jay (producer of CD) was the beginning of the month to tell me that he wouldn't be getting back to work on anything until the 16th of January (which could mean March, knowing Jay) due to a family tragedy I won't detail here.  I've stopped worrying about it because worrying doesn't get it done any sooner or better.  I just go on about my life, sparing a thought for my ultimate goal now and then, enjoying the award season movies, reading old Star Wars comics, getting settled into Nick's apartment, now "our" apartment, and occasionally stressing out about not doing anything to move myself forward (e.g. practice my voice, take some dance classes, write new songs, learn how to use garageband on my new MacBook, etc.) while my partner is busy working his ass off at work and in school.  I'm hoping that living with Nick will facilitate some of his focus and drive rubbing off on me.  Gotta do something different if I want different results.  38 is coming up in just over two months.  Yeesh.  At this rate I won't have time to wait for a career to get started.  I'm going to have to become an overnight internet senstation or something if I want a hit before I'm 50.  And I do.  When this whole process started back in Summer '05, I was hoping to have something out that people might have heard of by my 20 year high scool reunion, coming up this August.  I wanted to achieve a sufficient level of fame in time to be asked to deliver the induction presentation for Madonna when she becomes eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in '08.  I'm already a little disappointed that Rosie O'Donnell stopped doing her show before I could be on it.  I'm just praying that Oprah doesn't retire soon.

All that being said, I know that things will ultimately work out for the greater good of all concerned.  If I keep my mind on the big picture, the details will get filled in as I go.  Please God, let the details get filled in as I go.  Preferably soon.

I don't post much here but I do check in now and then, particularly on the Alberta thread because I definitely want to go.  I was looking at some really old threads on page 22 of the Tremblay board and thinking tenderly of the familiar screen names.  :)

More as it comes.

Love to all,
Kirk

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:28 am »
Thanks for the update there, pardner

Glad we'll be seein ya in Alberta, come July

Keep on track!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 06:11:59 am »
good to hear from you Kirk.

mmmwahhh.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 07:53:37 pm »
Thanks so much for the update, Kirk!  We've been missing you round here!  The tent just don't look right without you!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:16 am »
Kirk, eat more beans

O0

Heathen

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:21 am »
Time for another update since I can never seem to make the chats.

Didn't We Know This Was Going to End Badly?:
In October I contacted an entertainment lawyer with whom I was familiar and had him send a demand letter to my producer, since I had talked to the guy only once the entire year and still had no CD.  The letter stated that if the CD and videos were not delivered by Dec 15th, we would begin legal proceedings against him.  The CD that Jay (the producer in question) sent me soon after Dec. 15th was basically a very shiny coaster.  Virtually worthless.  No background vocals, dead space where there should be solos, production that was so amateurish that it was easy to tell the tracks had barely been touched since I left SoCal in Dec. '06.  The email I got from Jay said that this fulfilled his obligation.  <sigh>

So now I've sent a copy of the CD to my lawyer asking how much of what I paid Jay I should ask back, if not the entire amount.  I still haven't gotten the videos or album artwork that were part of the deal.  I know that Jay knows he's in hot water because he refuses to give me his mailing address.  Even the envelope with the CD came without a return address.

On the Plus Side:
Back in August I took a self-actualization type of course called the Landmark Forum, and then did the follow-up seminar weekly (almost) afterwards.  Good stuff.  Google it and check it out.  Through the work I did there I came to the realization that, had I been comfortable being bad at something while I learned how to do it, I would have started on my own path to being a record producer when I was 18.  I've always wanted to be a creative force in music and somewhere along the line i'd convinced myself that I didn't, that singing and writing were enough.  Well no more.  Starting Monday I'll be taking Music Composition and the Electronic Music Lab at SF City College and learning how to make music myself, as well as seeking out collaborators and pretending that the last 20 years of my professional life didn't happen.  Not much has happened that I wish to remember anyway, so that last part won't be hard.

Seriously, my professional life basically stopped when I graduated high school.  The best thing I can say about it is that I've been making a good living for the past 8 years in a show I never really liked in the first place (not that the thousands of people who love BBB shouldn't or anything).  But as we learned in BBM, eventually you're going to have to be true to yourself or you'll spend the rest of your life miserable.  It may have taken me 20 years but I'm finally on the right track.  And I have to say the process probably started around the time I saw BBM.  Certainly a huge part of getting my life together has been having Nick in it (we're at 1 1/2 years so far!).  And even though it didn't turn out well professionally, moving south for a few months in '06 was a brave risk and I'm glad I took it.

I'm certain my best days are ahead of me.  Well, certain except for the part of me that's scared s**tless that my life will stay exactly as it is until I die.  There are worse fates, true, but I can do so much more with it than I'm currently doing.

Hope all is well with you folks.