Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107093 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2008, 10:56:38 am »
Me to sometimes feel like I should think more about RL things, but then...I´m happy. I´m happy with my obsessions. I have gotten to know so many people through them, I´ve travelled places I never thought I´d go and my god, I laugh and smile and cry so much. I guess, somehow, obessions are my RL.

Me too. My closest friends are friends I've met online, and I've travelled all over the country meeting up with them. A couple of my friends even ended up getting married after they met for the first time in RL when they came to visit me. I've got friends all over the world, including some very good friends who know more about me than people I see every day.

When I went to my friends' wedding I also met up with another friend, who we all knew from the forum we all first met on. When I got to the hotel I just flung my stuff in my room and headed over to the bar where he said he'd meet me. I'd never physically met him before, but I recognised him instantly, and we spent the next four hours sitting and talking and laughing as though we'd only seen each other the previous week. As we said at the time, we were friends in every sense of the word - didn't make any difference that we'd never seen each other before - that was just superficial.

For myself, I think, what lies in the heart of my obsession for BBM, is its message about missed opportunities. I don´t want to miss out like Ennis and Jack did. I want to spend my life doing whatever it is I wanna do and not live my life as others expect me to.

Same here. Life's too short for "what ifs" and "what might have beens" - you've just got to get on out there and do it!

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
Thanks Bliss!

Great wonderful post!!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Easter and day everyday!!
Enjoy: Why are we like this? - so we can enjoy life more and better!!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2008, 06:47:13 pm »

When I went to my friends' wedding I also met up with another friend, who we all knew from the forum we all first met on. When I got to the hotel I just flung my stuff in my room and headed over to the bar where he said he'd meet me. I'd never physically met him before, but I recognised him instantly, and we spent the next four hours sitting and talking and laughing as though we'd only seen each other the previous week. As we said at the time, we were friends in every sense of the word - didn't make any difference that we'd never seen each other before - that was just superficial.

that´s great to hear. I´m glad that you too have had good experiences. Yeah, some say that Internet isolates people but the case often is quite the opposite.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2008, 06:59:19 pm »
Very much the opposite with me - every day I get to "meet" new people who I'd never get to meet if it wasn't for the internet - people with alsorts of interests and experiences - some the same as me, some not. As an added bonus I sometimes get to meet them in RL too.

When I first found BetterMost I was still feeling quite low and confused about how "just" a film could affect me so much, even after two years, probably more so after two years. My first post here I said "It feels like I've found home". For the first time in two years I can talk openly about my feelings about BBM without anyone laughing at me, or thinking I must be crazy to feel like this. I feel accepted and I can be myself and I don't have to hide that part of me away. That means a hell of a lot.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2008, 07:02:54 pm »
Enjoy: Why are we like this? - so we can enjoy life more and better!!

That's true, Artiste!

My mum always used to tell me that everything happens for a reason. The day I first went to the cinema there was a reason I ended up seeing BBM and not whatever else was showing on the next screen, and I'm in a better place because of it.  :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2008, 07:20:37 pm »
That is great Bliss!

Did you know that one member here, his grand-mother brought him (a gay young man) out of town and they BOTH saw the BM movie??

So they would be safe??

At least, they enjoy life!!  Why-are-we-like-this ? Hiding ? Or trying to be safe? Or wanting a better life?

Hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
Why-are-we-like-this ? Hiding ? Or trying to be safe? Or wanting a better life?

Shit! I'm getting quite emotional now! I've been reading some of the 'why are we like this?' posts again, and Heath tributes, and the thread about the characters becoming "real" to Annie, and to us. Brokeback got me good again.  :'(

I don't think we're really hiding - like other forums BetterMost is out there on the web for anyone to see, but I do feel a palpable sense of 'banding together'. There's safety in numbers. We feel safe here to share our experiences, voice our opinions, admit our fears and our hopes. We can collect here without fear of being ridiculed for our beliefs and our dreams. No-one's going to judge us as crazy, or laugh at us for thinking that Jack and Ennis are real, because they're as real to us as we all are to each other, to our families and friends. Over recent days we've discussed what being a Brokie is, and though for each of us it's probably something slightly different, the story and the film and being a Brokie has changed our lives, and changed them for the better. I guess part of it's wanting to share that better life with other Brokies.

As Brokies what we all have in common is a belief in the messages of the story/film, messages that have made our lives better, messages that have opened our eyes to what's important and the values those instill in us. Maybe one day we won't need to 'hide' in places like BM, and the world will be more accepting, both of Brokies and gay men, and other groups of people who are oppressed. We can't change the world overnight, but we'll have a damned good try! In the meantime we have each other, and we can gain strength from each other. We have to believe that sweet life is within our grasp.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2008, 09:47:31 pm »
Wonderfully said:
we all have in common is a belief in the messages of the story/film, messages that have made our lives better, messages that have opened our eyes to what's important and the values those instill in us. Maybe one day we won't need to 'hide' in places like BM, and the world will be more accepting, both of Brokies and gay men, and other groups of people who are oppressed. We can't change the world overnight, but we'll have a damned good try! In the meantime we have each other, and we can gain strength from each other. We have to believe that sweet life is within our grasp.

Thanks bliss!

HAPPY HAPPY  EASTER Bliss!!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2008, 05:48:35 am »
We have to believe that sweet life is within our grasp.
thank you, that´s beautifully put.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2008, 08:48:16 am »
Maybe I should make that my new sig.