Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107094 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2006, 10:01:55 am »
Just reading the IMDb board got me hooked, two months before the movie came out.  I downloaded the short story, put it in my Palm, and wound up reading and rereading it continuously, every moment I could.  Stayed awake late rereading, couldn't stop.  Started posting. 

I love the story, too. It is so beautifully written. I think it really enhances the story and clarifies some ambiguous points.

I started out loving this film, but now am at the point of obsession.  ::) I began reading the IMDb boards and really got into the discussion/ debate. It never gets old! My family and friends think I am mental. I guess I am ... but who cares? At least I am having a good time!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline forsythia_5

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 01:03:15 pm »
i think one thing we have in common......world wide, is that we share the need for love.  it's human. and i think no matter who you are, or where you're from......we all want love.  we need to love.  we need to be loved.
brokeback.......the ultimate love story..........love and the monkeywrenches life throws at us to hinder us from experiencing free love.  all the things that get in the way.  i think we can all relate somehow.  wheather it's romantic love, love towards your children, or love that's been bruised and tested.........the movie speaks to us all.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:25 pm »
So true, Forsythia, thanks for posting it. Welcome to BetterMost and the Open Forum! Glad to have you and your nice thoughts here.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 01:15:15 pm »
i think one thing we have in common......world wide, is that we share the need for love.  it's human. and i think no matter who you are, or where you're from......we all want love.  we need to love.  we need to be loved.
brokeback.......the ultimate love story..........love and the monkeywrenches life throws at us to hinder us from experiencing free love.  all the things that get in the way.  i think we can all relate somehow.  wheather it's romantic love, love towards your children, or love that's been bruised and tested.........the movie speaks to us all.

That's lovely, Forsythia.  And I agree.  I wonder, though - do the people it doesn't speak to not need love like we do, or do they just not know they do?

And Diane, whadayamean Ennis and Jack seem real?

;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:16:55 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline fontaine

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 01:25:59 pm »
"Why do we care so much?  Who are we?"

The one thing we all seem to share (or at least, to have shared at some point) is this huge, unexplainable, consuming passion for one particular movie (and/or short story). But why?!?!??

That's what I'm trying to figure out in my doctoral program! As I explained in my introduction post, I didn't have this same intense reaction to BBM as most other folks here, but I DID have it to another movie 9 years ago. That passion led to my program and my research.

It's interesting that you're looking at what Brokeback fans have in common while I'm focusing a little more on what this and that other movie have in common that elicits such similar reactions.

I don't want to bore you with an explanation of what I've come up with so far, but will be happy to share that if you (or others) are interested.

Offline fontaine

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 01:33:22 pm »
I think it is because Brokeback Mountain is one of those movie that has a mirror effect (I don't know if that's correct). What I mean is that we all find ourselves represented in Ennis or Jack, or both and in their tribulations, fears, doubts, pain, happiness and unhappiness. It doesn't matter if we don't share their sexual orientation. At least in my case, I haven't seen a movie that depicts a love story so close to real life, as this one. Love is not about falling for a perfect person and living happily ever after, as it is shown in many Hollywood movies. Love is imperfect and hard to deal with. It's a struggle, as Jake Gyllenhaal puts it, and that's what Brokeback Mountain is about, among other things of course.

You're closer than you probably think! Within the last 10 or so years, neuroscientists have discovered "mirror neurons." These neurons not only fire when we perform a certain action but also when we WATCH someone else performing it! I would bet money on the idea that a fictional character has to be experienced as real (versimmilutude) in order for mirror neurons to kick in.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2006, 02:24:34 pm »
Interesting point, fontaine. And welcome to BetterMost and the OF! I am glad to have someone among us who keeps abreast on the latest findings in neuroscience. Seriously, that could be very helpful in these discussions.

:)

Offline fontaine

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 03:16:07 pm »
I'd be interested to see just how many of us, or what percentage, fall into the 'fan' demographic.  My guess would be very few, if any.  THAT in itself, amazes the heck out of me.  Adds weight to the epiphanic powers of BBM, if weight were needed.  Wolf is certainly well outside the demographic.  Star Trek amore notwithstanding.

Generally speaking, there are phenomenons which stubbornly (and magnificently) hover above our feeble attempts to describe them.  These magical, unknowable, mysterious things are created when remarkable forces align.  Depending on your view of quantum physics, these can be repeatable or unrepeatable events.  I don't think BBM is repeatable - yet unlike your typical unrepeatable quantum event, it IS observable.  So we can observe something that can't be repeated, but cannot describe the event.  Boy, are we in some strange place  :o ;D

W

I have to disagree with your conclusion that Brokeback is unique in evoking the kind and level of viewer reactions it has. I'm writing a dissertation on the subject of how and why narrative has the potential impact it does and what characteristics it needs to have to create that kind of response. Personally, I had the same type of reaction to another movie almost 10 years ago and the reactions others described back then were amazingly similar to those you'll find here.

What I'll be looking at is the neurological response people have to various types of narratives and trying to match that up with characteristics of the narrative and of the viewer. I've no doubt that other narratives have affected people similarly, I'm just not sure which or where to find people who've described their reaction.

You see, I've been "obsessed" by a film for almost 10 years and it motivated me to follow the path I have. So, narratives can be life-changing. I'm trying to figure out how and why. Seeing Brokeback has only convinced me more that the experience I had was not a one-shot thing!

Offline fontaine

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 03:33:53 pm »
Interesting point, fontaine. And welcome to BetterMost and the OF! I am glad to have someone among us who keeps abreast on the latest findings in neuroscience. Seriously, that could be very helpful in these discussions.

:)

Thanks for that, latjoreme! Sometimes I worry that I'll come across as snooty or something when in fact, what I'm up to is feeding my obsession! Only in my case, it's been going on for so long that I've learned some things in the process of chasing down an answer to the questions of "why" and "how!"

The part that gets both fuzzy and also interesting is the relationship of the physical and the spirit. I have no question, intuitively, that it exists but discovering it is another story.

My mentor says that what I'm trying to do is "break the learning code" which is an interesting way to think of it. What is necessary and how does it work when a person's attitude and behavior shift as the result of a narrative? And how can we use that understanding to make education (and entertainment) more poignant and useful for people? Understand that, and you understand the basis of learning--the significant kind, anyway!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2006, 06:33:47 pm »
Diane, whadayamean Ennis and Jack seem real?;)

Okay, okay ... they are real to all of us "Brokies". ;)

I have said this before, but am going to reiterate it anyway. This film has a realism that I have rarely experienced. The whole idea of societal mores dictating a person's future is heartbreaking. Even though I am a straight female, there have been two events in my own life that I would like to share:

My great uncle was homosexual and was living in a small rural town located in a midwestern Bible belt state. The expectation was that he was to get married, have a family. He did ... and all it did was cause pain for everyone. He was caught several times with other men. Eventually, he was arrested because he was caught having sex with a man in a public place. To make a long story short, he ended up getting murdered. No one was ever charged, but apparently everyone knew who did it. I guess the public seemed to think it was justifiable homicide.

The second event is just now unfolding ... my nephew. I am sure he is gay. My brother has made it clear about his disdain for homosexuals. When I told my brother that I loved BBM, he said he refused to watch a story about "two faggots". I absolutely cringed. I hurt for my nephew because I don't know that he will ever become comfortable acknowledging his sexual orientation. I know he will fear rejection. My heart is heavy about this.

I think, for me, BBM does not provide any easy answers. It provokes thought and dialogue. It shows the pain that can be inflicted by keeping a secret, by not being true to one's self. It doesn't say that everything will be okay. I think it provides more questions than answers. Maybe that's why I just can't get this film out from under my skin.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."