Author Topic: moment(s) of artless, charmed happiness?  (Read 7419 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: moment(s) of artless, charmed happiness?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:31:10 pm »
I think for Ennis, it was a lot simpler than that, and his "moment" was the one described in the book in the line in my signature below.    It was before their "relationship" started, and so incredibly poignant, in that Ennis had just discovered a close friend after a lonely, tragic young life.   I also feel that, more than just the sex, this was why he was so miserable about leaving the mountain early, that this unique bond and little paradise that they had had to come to an end, and they had to step back into reality.

You know, I agree, come to think of it.  And what a lovely way of putting it, white.  :)
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 01:12:56 am »
I'm re-reading it at the moment (to try to answer a question from another thread), and there are a couple times when the POV shifts very briefly. We get a flash of Jack's POV when Ennis is washing, for instance (when Jack notices exactly what Ennis isn't wearing). There are a few other times when we learn things that Ennis can't know, like when we know that Aguirre wasn't happy with the sheep count, or when we learn that Jack "had been riding more than bulls".

But the dozy embrace is the only long passage that's from Jack's POV.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:45:51 pm »
These seem just right for Lureen and Jr., goadra. But for Alma, I would pick the wedding kiss or perhaps that moment when she says, "Take your friend to the Knife & Fork?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:16 pm »
These seem just right for Lureen and Jr., goadra. But for Alma, I would pick the wedding kiss or perhaps that moment when she says, "Take your friend to the Knife & Fork?"
Even when Ennis says "Jack's not the restaurant type..." Her smile never fades.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:59:40 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:34:12 pm »
Interesting!