Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014915 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2006, 11:24:03 am »
Katie, she could fix it by getting a divorce, couldn't she?

Without getting too entangled here about my girlfriend,  I just needed to say, that as is the case for many women having an affair, she is still in love with her husband, and that might sound hypercritical, and maybe should be the subject of a new renamed thread on the topic of "having an affair", but it is true....People dont necessarily have an affair because they dont love their husband....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2006, 11:40:42 am »
I've seem to use a lot of "I gotta go, I'll see you in the morning", "Dumbass mule", "Time to get goin'", "Alright", "sure enough"...lately.

I'm still trying to use as many as I can.  Sometimes it just comes out with out me noticing it until it was said. 

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2006, 10:35:05 pm »
I loved these comments.  Even though I left the south, and small farm, at age 10, I still retain the way of life, expressions, and speech, so I could fit right in with the guys (Jack and Ennis).  "Tell you what", "Shit", "let it be", and "dumbass mule" are some that I've used over the years.  When I was still working and ran into some I had not seen for a long time, I would use the "first name fuckin' last name" to emphasize their presence,
and "the hell they are" when disagreeing with anything.  Now, whenever I'm asked if I've been there, or done that, I say "I ain't never had the opportunity" ("ain't" has been a part of my vocabulary from the time I learned to talk...very common where I come from). I'm sure more BBM gems will pop into my speech as time goes on.

Now, a question....what is the circumstance of the phrase "paw the white out of the moon"?  I have seen the movie too many times to count, but don't remember this expression (read the short story only once). Where do I find it?

Thanks..Doug

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2006, 12:22:29 am »
When I was still working and ran into some I had not seen for a long time, I would use the "first name fuckin' last name" to emphasize their presence

Cool, Doug! I didn't realize this was a common "real life" expression. I don't know if I could ever do it at this point without feeling self-conscious, but it's nice to know someone can.

Now, a question....what is the circumstance of the phrase "paw the white out of the moon"?  I have seen the movie too many times to count, but don't remember this expression (read the short story only once). Where do I find it?

IMO, this phrase from the short story is not in the movie in actual words, and it's not explicitly illustrated in the movie, either. It describes the way Ennis felt, riding back to the sheep one night, when their frienship had started really developing. In the movie, I think we just have to extrapolate that Ennis feels that way (as does Jack).

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2006, 12:41:18 am »
atherine...the situation would have to be confortable for all parties in observance.  I certainly wouldn't use to a minister, whom I might know very well, not in front of a group of "up-tight" individuals.  The F word was considered a very vulgar word in the early 1960s, and I was working at a major airlines in the maintenance hangar. Let me tell you the mouths on mechanics are worse than sailors... Because I was just a young college freshman a lot of the older men treated me like a son, but the younger ones, and some were just 4-5 yrs olded than me, wanted to show off.  I guess it worked because I learned a lot.  I though saying F was cool, and used it a lot.  Then one day I heard a mechanic greet one who was returning to work after a long absence and the expression stuck.  I don't use it to much today.

Thanks for the info on the moon.  I will pay close attention when I reread the book to see if I can locate it. 

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2006, 08:00:02 am »
I have a tendancy to nod and add approving grunts a la Ennis in the motel when people are talking to me. Two problems inevitably ensue, either I get distracted by thinking of that scene, drift off into a little fantasy and forget about the conversation at hand or I get carried away start speaking in more Brokieisms and the other person laughs at my strange accent (BTW I'm English so I do sound stupid when I say things like son of a whoreson bitch in a v bad accent)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2006, 08:27:27 am »
 ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2006, 10:04:51 am »
(BTW I'm English so I do sound stupid when I say things like son of a whoreson bitch in a v bad accent)

Anyone who is able to say "son of a whoreson bitch" with a straight face in any accent gets credit in my book.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2006, 12:41:20 pm »
I get carried away start speaking in more Brokieisms and the other person laughs at my strange accent (BTW I'm English so I do sound stupid when I say things like son of a whoreson bitch in a v bad accent)

CLASSIC! I can imagine that you would get some very odd looks!  :laugh:
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2006, 05:03:59 pm »
I bet "son of a whoreson bitch" sounds really, really cute in a British accent. (At least to these American ears it would! :D)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.