Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014829 times)

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2006, 06:01:54 pm »
I find myself using a nonverbal Brokieism . . . After Alma says "You got a postcard. It come general delivery," Ennis whirls around to pick it up off the kitchen table. I find myself whirling in my tiny galley kitchen from one side to the other exactly in this way . . . did I always do this, I wonder? It's got to the point where I cannot turn from the stove to the sink without seeing that scene in my mind's eye . . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2006, 06:02:46 pm »
yeah to an ausssie, you poms always seem so la de dah, (posh, if you like)...so how the hell do you say "son of a whorseon bitch" and say it so it sounds "rough"
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2006, 09:22:36 pm »
I can only imagine BBM lingo in an English or Aussie accent ...  ;D I just have a very strong northern (Midwestern) accent. I have been accused of speaking in a “Fargoesque” way. (BTW … my accent is not nearly that severe). But, get my nasal, harsh accent and mix it with the BBM way of speaking and you get a sound like a New Yorker on steroids.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2006, 09:56:36 pm »
just so you know....in aussie......Ennis rhymes with "tennis"....whorson sounds like "war son"......jack rhymes with "back".....Riverton sounds like "river ten"....
I Swear sounds like "I care"......Alma sounds like "al ma".....Laureen sounds like "lawreen"......Bobby rhymes with "hobby".....

Cant think of anymore........

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »
yeah to an ausssie, you poms always seem so la de dah, (posh, if you like)...so how the hell do you say "son of a whorseon bitch" and say it so it sounds "rough"

Well my normal speech isn't exactly unpeppered with swear words and the like but even so fitting the 'whoreson' in is the most difficult! If you say it in an English accent you have to really spit out the 'bitch' bit to make it sound ok. Actually out of interest had anyone said 'whoreson' before cos I'd never heard it before BBM. But back to the point no it doesn't sound very realisitic to anyone else hence the strange looks I get. One day I'll met someone who gets it...sigh. 

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2006, 04:12:48 pm »
Well my normal speech isn't exactly unpeppered with swear words and the like but even so fitting the 'whoreson' in is the most difficult! If you say it in an English accent you have to really spit out the 'bitch' bit to make it sound ok. Actually out of interest had anyone said 'whoreson' before cos I'd never heard it before BBM. But back to the point no it doesn't sound very realisitic to anyone else hence the strange looks I get. One day I'll met someone who gets it...sigh. 

The "whoreson'" term was a new one to me ... and I've heard a lot. Personally, I have to reign in my swear words. I work for a Christian organization ... so saying something like "Son of a whoreson' bitch" would cause numerous cardiac arrests.
Diane

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2006, 08:13:31 pm »
Actually out of interest had anyone said 'whoreson' before cos I'd never heard it before BBM. But back to the point no it doesn't sound very realisitic to anyone else hence the strange looks I get. One day I'll met someone who gets it...sigh.

Well, that's why you're on the Bettermost website - because we all get it!  I never heard whoreson before. When I told friends they thought I was saying horse's son or horseson.  I find it very satisfying to say Son of a whoreson bitch, even if I have to mutter it under my breath. I picture Jack spittin out those words. I also really love "This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." Which reminds me of the line from Cool Hand Luke "What we got here is failure to communicate." (I don't know why)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2006, 08:29:08 pm »
I also really love "This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." Which reminds me of the line from Cool Hand Luke "What we got here is failure to communicate." (I don't know why)

I see why one reminds you of the other ...  but "Cool Hand Luke's" version is a bit more watered down ... to be sure.   ;D
Diane

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2006, 11:01:02 pm »
I saw a friend of mine from out of town last weekend, but didn't get a chance to spend much time with her. So I just emailed her and at one point said "Never enough time!" (I chickened out of the second "never enough"). I wonder if she'll recognize it.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2006, 11:29:18 pm »
Does anyone find themselves using a "Brokieism" and in mid sentence realize that this will make absolutely no sense to the person with whom you are speaking? This happens to me all of the time. Sometimes I’ll say something and think it is completely hilarious and I get a look like I had completely lost my mind!  :laugh:
Diane