Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014827 times)

Offline malina

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2006, 01:32:48 pm »
I haven't had time to read through the entire thread so these might be repeats.

I think someone else mentioned doing this, too: Now, when someone says "sorry" to me, I always say "It's alright". It's subtle but it's not the phrase I would've used previously. I used to say 'it's okay'. It's subtle but a particularly powerful one because I really do feel more open and forgiving when I say it. It's a little mini Jack incantation. It takes a little longer to say and something about forming that initial "aw" ... open-mouthed, as opposed to the "o" in okay.. says forgiveness and comfort.

I also love saying "there ain't never enough time, never enough" and I say it every chance I get, whenever someone (usually my daughter) mentions time.

I think we use Brokeisms because it's a way of carrying the movie around with you and bringing it into 'real' life. Certainly the act of using them is "suffused with pleasure".

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2006, 01:40:05 pm »
I haven't had time to read through the entire thread so these might be repeats.

S'alright, Malina. This is a thread where repeats are welcome. Particularly if you've found a way to work "puttin the blocks to" or "son of a whoreson bitch" or "stem the rose" or "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" into your daily conversation -- with non-Brokies.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
Did you need a day off work, Mel?  ;D

Never enough time...

(At least I haven't worked up to "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" or "I wish I knew how to quit you.")
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2006, 04:01:38 pm »
I made a special dish the other day: bean soup!! It was kind of a synthesis of Jack and Ennis, homey and spicy and solid and liquid, all thrown together! Then, my son was eating a bowl of it and started to go "mmm-hmmm" very quietly, just like Ennis. I had to go give him a big hug, tho he didn't know why!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »
Is this a Brokieism or not? I was sending out a request for contributions for a wedding present for my co-worker Kathryn. I kept writing Katherine and I couldn't get my fingers to write Kathryn!! Maybe that is more of a BetterMostism than a Brokieism, but I am going to report it anyway and see if I can earn a few brownie points with our moderator.  ::)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2006, 04:57:25 pm »
Lee:

:-* :-* :-*

BetterMostisms count, too. Maybe one day I will be writing "FRiend" and I'll find myself capitalizing the first two letters!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2006, 07:59:47 pm »
People think we're dorks. Which we are, but we don't mind.

But fun dorks! And no dorkier than everybody else here.  :)

Welcome to BetterMost, Kristin. You and your husband sound like a fun couple. And I like your avatar!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2006, 02:00:34 am »
Gee, what a fun bloke your husband must be, Kristen.....at last, a partner that can share in the fun and light humour that we have all found here on the board.

And the "Ennis Day" and "Jack Day"....what a great idea.....I'm sure a few of us here will use that too, now.

Welcome to the board, I am virtually a newcomer here too, joined up in June, but you will find, as I did, theres a great bunch of people here, and we are going to be looking forward to your posts....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2006, 11:50:28 pm »
Does Ennis say "oh come on" at that moment?  :o That's the first I've heard that! That belongs on the nearly indiscernible moments poll/thread!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2006, 10:39:34 pm »
I was riding the shuttle in from the airport in Kansas City today and when we got to the Westin Hotel, the man sitting next to me in the window seat (I was crammed in the middle) said, "This is me" meaning that he wanted me to get out so he could get out. Instead I said, "Nice to know you Mr. Westin!" I did  not extend my hand like Jack did though.  :)