Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014809 times)

Scott6373

Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2007, 01:10:37 pm »
I think that's a nice idea, HerrKaiser. And I don't find it sexist, not even semi! I wouldn't try it with "little darlin," though!  :laugh:

That's odd that you would say that...I think it's the only "ism" I have picked up.  That and "y'all".

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2007, 01:16:24 pm »
That's odd that you would say that...I think it's the only "ism" I have picked up.  That and "y'all".

Do you mean "little darlin," Scott? I meant that in context. I know you, so if you said it to me, I wouldn't mind. Jeff, for instance, says it frequently to lots of people here, and I think that's nice.

But if you said it to an airlines or other customer-service-type women, not all of them are going to take it well. But maybe Jeff has done that, too, and can tell us firsthand how they reacted!  :laugh:

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2007, 02:52:51 pm »
I think that's a nice idea, HerrKaiser. And I don't find it sexist, not even semi! I wouldn't try it with "little darlin," though!  :laugh:

Well, it is a pleasure to know there are some nice terms that are not considered sexist! And you are from Chicago where people seem every so much more sensible about life.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2007, 05:13:42 am »
Brokieisms are infective. My husband, who isn't even a Brokie, used one yesterday. Or at least he tried  ::).

I had some good news for him via email and this was his reply:

This demands for a true Brokeback Y Y Y E E E P P P E E E ! ! ! 

:laugh:

Okay, I have to teach him that it's Yee-haw, not Yeeppee, but I found it cute.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2007, 03:37:37 pm »
 ;D

At least he's tryin!!!

Put a little whiskey in his tin cup and see what he does next!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2007, 05:14:34 pm »
another one I have come to enjoy, now that our culture has 'evolved' to a point where some previously impolite language is generally acceptable, is the delivery Jack used when Ennis told him that his folks had died when he was 13.

jack said "shet" with a sort of inhale of breath and tightened cheeks that made the word seem ever so harmless, and more of an expression of empathy and understanding, if not compassion. i have gotten away with such use in the most snooty of circles!

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2007, 08:56:21 pm »
My latest is Shhiiittttt as in missing shooting the Coyote.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2007, 10:03:46 pm »
Do you mean "little darlin," Scott? I meant that in context. I know you, so if you said it to me, I wouldn't mind. Jeff, for instance, says it frequently to lots of people here, and I think that's nice.

But if you said it to an airlines or other customer-service-type women, not all of them are going to take it well. But maybe Jeff has done that, too, and can tell us firsthand how they reacted!  :laugh:

WoW Your from Chicago? Well Stop down to Downers Drove for a cuppa coffee and a piece of cherry cake!  Or visit my latest movie filming Down Town!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2007, 10:41:17 pm »

Who, me? No, I dont use "Little Darlin'" to "outsiders." I only use it to other Brokies--female and gay male Brokies--and to other gay men who have known me a long time--the gay men who are used to me calling them "Sweetheart"!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2007, 01:35:13 am »
I actually once upbraided someone who kept calling me darling or sweetheart or something like that. She was a receptionist for someone I was trying to get in touch with, and she kept not letting me make the connection, and was very self-important and authoritative about it -- like her boss was way too important to make time for the likes of me. So finally, after she'd officiously told me for about the 16th time that my source was unavailable, darling, it pushed me over my limit, and I said could you please not call me that.

That's the only time I ever really objected, even though when I lived in New Orleans I heard it on just about a daily basis.

From you, Jeff, it just sounds nice!  :)

WoW Your from Chicago? Well Stop down to Downers Drove for a cuppa coffee and a piece of cherry cake!  Or visit my latest movie filming Down Town!

Well, "from Chicago" would be a huge exaggeration, Ross. I've lived here just over a year (actually I live in Oak Park). To demonstrate, I have no idea where Downers Grove is. But I would love to get together for coffee and cherry cake.