Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014812 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #470 on: August 17, 2007, 04:55:45 pm »
A couple of days ago, I was driving in the area of town I used to work in.  As I passed the turn off I used to take for work, I suddenly realized/remembered for the first time, that it was on Riverton St.  I had not made that connection, since I stopped working there four years ago.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #471 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:04 pm »
Also want to say that I love PMing and talking with Brokies where we can Brokify all we want in what we say, and follow each other's meanings.  You know who you are.  :-*

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #472 on: August 17, 2007, 07:23:25 pm »
Ive got another story about someone I was talking to on the poker the other night.....

A lady in Mebourne, Australia, who i have been chatting to spasmodically over the last couple of months, mainly about the poker, and just day to day things....

Anyway, we got on the subject of movie stars the other night, and I just said...."I like Jake Gyllenhaal".....then she said...."yes, he's nice, did you like him in that movie with Heath Ledger?"................well, as you can imagine, a big smile came on my face, my thoughts were....."oh god, just let me tell you how I loved that movie".....but i played it a bit cool and just said....."Do you mean Brokeback Mountain?".........I was hanging out for her comment or reaction........her reply was...."Oh yes, Brokeback Mountain, I love that movie, saw it three times, cried every time".......

Well i couldn't contain myself any longer, and just went into a mass of chatter about the movie, about Bettermost and everything else i could fit in ....i think she was dumbfounded, and surprised to hear about "Brokies", and flabergasted about the Bettermost site.......I couldnt fit everything in I wanted to tell her about, on the poker chat table, so I ended up writing a very long email and sending her the link to Bettermost, as well as some fan art pictures.

I thought of what it would be like for someone new going into Bettermost...thought of all the stories in there....so many words written, so many friendships made, just so much in there, I wondered how and if, a newcomer would be able to catch up on it all......it will be interesting to see if she joins up, and to hear her comments.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #473 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:06 pm »
Katie that's a good one!!! Just to make that unexpected connection with someone is a wonderful feeling!!!

Today my husband and I were talking to a friend who had a birthday party for her son. My husband asked her about the cherry cake. I said cherry cake.....
Instantly I thought about Ma Twist's cherry cake with that one cherry in it :)
My husband was wrong about the cake because she said it was a cake made with all kinds of berries- strawberries, blueberries etc.

Boy do I love this movie!!!!

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #474 on: August 30, 2007, 06:43:24 pm »
At work we hired a new person to join my team. She commutes by train from Newark, Delaware, to Philadelphia. She told me today that it takes her two hours one way.

Then it hit me: Including her return home, she's commutin' four hours a day!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #475 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:27 pm »
Then it hit me: Including her return home, she's commutin' four hours a day!  ;D

So did you offer to switch with her?

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #476 on: August 30, 2007, 10:37:23 pm »
So did you offer to switch with her?

:laugh:

Nope, she wasn't bitchin' about it. Unlike Jack, she likes it!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline heath4oscar

• Don't Say Much
  • Here and there
« Reply #477 on: September 08, 2007, 06:40:14 am »
I regularly answer "Here and there" when anyone asks me where I've been lately. 

It's so wonderfully non-committal!

"I don't get you Ennis del Mar!"

Offline heath4oscar

• Don't Say Much
  • Here and there
« Reply #478 on: September 08, 2007, 08:08:53 am »
Thought of some more.....

I also like to use "I don't need your money, I ain't in the poorhouse" at work when someone offers me loose change at the vending machnes.  They don't get the connection and just think I am messing about.

If someone asks me for a pencil sharpener, I say: "What's the matter with you?  There's a thousand of 'em."

When it is lunchtime, I sometimes announce: "Supper's on the stove!"

My work colleagues just don't understand my obsession.  One woman does and she often gives me a wink.  "Good for you", I say.

What fun!

Offline heath4oscar

• Don't Say Much
  • Here and there
« Reply #479 on: September 08, 2007, 08:29:56 am »
I am an Aussie living in the UK.  Shortly after Brokeback Mountain the movie was released, I was in the US.  At a party, I got talking to a friendly woman with a Southern drawl.  It must have been obvious to her that I am gay (my partner was there with me) yet when I asked her where her husband was, she said: "He's off on ANOTHER fishing trip.  I swear, that man spends more time with his buddy fishing than he does with me!"

There was not a shred of irony in what she said.  She just said it, matter of fact.  Brokeback was quite a news item at the time, so I cannot believe she hadn't heard anyhting about it at all.

I just stared straight ahead, knowing that if I caught my partner's eye I would burst out laughing.

I wonder if she ever saw the movie?