Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014901 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #690 on: March 06, 2010, 09:32:56 am »
After Lynne's move:

SuperD:  "Why'd you give your old landlord your new address?"

Lynne:  "So I could get my deposit back."

Paul:  "Money's a good point."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #691 on: March 06, 2010, 11:25:21 am »
After Lynne's move:

SuperD:  "Why'd you give your old landlord your new address?"

Lynne:  "So I could get my deposit back."

Paul:  "Money's a good point."

I have to agree.  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #692 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:45 am »
My mother was listening raptly to the radio when I walked in her abode, and she said it was a talk show on "long term care." I couldn't think of anything to reply so I said "Sounds like some high-class entertainment!"   :-\

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #693 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:18 am »
After a long time, today I used a Brokieism.  :D It popped right into my head and it was the only possible comment at that moment ;D.

My daughter and her friend were talking about second names and saying that another friend (I'll call her Mary) doesn't have a second name at all.

Me: "Her folks just stopped at Mary?"

Puzzled faces around me :laugh:.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #694 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:18 am »
After a long time, today I used a Brokieism.  :D It popped right into my head and it was the only possible comment at that moment ;D.

My daughter and her friend were talking about second names and saying that another friend (I'll call her Mary) doesn't have a second name at all.

Me: "Her folks just stopped at Mary?"

Puzzled faces around me :laugh:.

Did you say it in English, when up until then everybody was speaking German? That would add to their confusion (and the humor!).

Actually, this brings up an interesting question, in general. Chrissi, do you usually say/think your Brokieisms in English? How about you other non-native-English speakers?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #695 on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »
Did you say it in English, when up until then everybody was speaking German? That would add to their confusion (and the humor!).

Yep.

Actually, this brings up an interesting question, in general. Chrissi, do you usually say/think your Brokieisms in English? How about you other non-native-English speakers?

It's English all the way. Everything BBM and BM related is in English for me. For the greatest part, I'm thinking in English when writing posts. I don't translate for myself, it's the English version which pours out of my brain into my fingers without thinking about it. Sometimes, when I miss a word or expression, I'm asking myself how I would say it in German, then use my online dictionary.
Sometimes it's different, I know in German what I want to say and have to translate it. But mostly not.

Heck, I even dream in English, when it's something BBM/BM related. :laugh:
I started dreaming in English years ago, long before BBM, during several vacations in England. It always stopped automatically when back in Germany.
I dream in English either when I am actually in an English speaking country or when it's BBM related. Makes ense.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #696 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:19 pm »

Interesting question.

The reason I don't use Brokieisms aloud in my everyday life very often is that Brokieisms can only be expressed in English! And since that's not my everyday language, there's not often room for them.  :'(
But I think them to myself often enough.

Like Chrissi, I often think in English, and when I write posts I do it in English without Swedish detours. Only when I miss a word or a phrase to express something I want to say, I have to think it in Swedish first and then use my online dictionary. Which I of course also use when there are words I don't understand in a post.

My English has really improved over these past few years!!

I don't think I ever dreamt in English though.

I did use a Brokiesism today, in connection with a small crochet-project I'm in the middle of. I had failed several times with a tricky little thingie, and almost felt like giving it up, and said to myself, "you're too much for me Ennis, I wish I knew how to quit you."

:D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #697 on: March 25, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
I am in awe of the second language skills of you Eurobrokies!  :D

I guess I occasionally think of a phrase in French or Italian, if that's where I first heard it or it's otherwise famous or it's just fun to say ("A la recherche du temps perdu," "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose").

Or, Chrissi, in German I sometimes think of the lines we had to learn in my one semester of high-school German: "Gutenmorgen, Emil, warum bist Du so Blass?" "Ich bin krank." ("Good morning, Emil, why are you so pale?" "I am sick," for you non-German-speakers) or "Blut ist im Schuh" ("blood is in the shoe," from the non-Disneyified Euro version of Cinderella, in which the stepsisters cut off parts of their feet to fit into the glass slipper). Unfortunately or fortunately, none of these situations come up too often.

But I am very far, sadly, from having any foreign language flow easily from my brain without having to stop and think and translate and, in most cases, turn to Babel Fish.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #698 on: March 25, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »
I am in awe of the second language skills of you Eurobrokies!  :D
I second that!! Here in the U.S., we can't even understand people who speak with an accent, much less in a different language!

I guess I occasionally think of a phrase in French or Italian, if that's where I first heard it or it's otherwise famous or it's just fun to say ("A la recherche du temps perdu," "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose").
Ooo, I like it when you speak French!! (Shades of Pepe LePew!) My attempts at French stop with "Viva la difference!" Or "C'est la vie!"

"Gutenmorgen, Emil, warum bist Du so Blass?" "Ich bin krank." ("Good morning, Emil, why are you so pale?" "I am sick," for you non-German-speakers) or "Blut ist im Schuh" ("blood is in the shoe," from the non-Disneyified Euro version of Cinderella, in which the stepsisters cut off parts of their feet to fit into the glass slipper). Unfortunately or fortunately, none of these situations come up too often.
Blech, I'm glad I never had the opportunity to speak German...muy difficile!!

But I am very far, sadly, from having any foreign language flow easily from my brain without having to stop and think and translate and, in most cases, turn to Babel Fish.
Me too. Although inexplicably, I sometimes dream in French...or at least I think it's French. Or maybe it's just some made-up place language where bleubirds sing and there's a champagne spring!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #699 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »
Ooo, I like it when you speak French!! (Shades of Pepe LePew!) My attempts at French stop with "Viva la difference!" Or "C'est la vie!"

That should be "Vive la difference." I believe viva is Italian.

Blech, I'm glad I never had the opportunity to speak German...muy difficile!!

Ach, du Lieber! Mein Gott! Deutsch schwer? Nein! Don't let Chrissi hear you say that!  :o

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.