Author Topic: Fantasy Scenes  (Read 76568 times)

Offline Tristann

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Fantasy Scenes
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 04:05:13 pm »
I had seen a couple of previews before actually seeing the movie. In the preview there is a short clip of Ennis standing with the fireworks behind him. My mind started running ito what the scene was about. Now, it after seeing the scene it is off course very different from what I imagined, but this is what I would've liked to see:

Ennis is alone outside, unaware that Jack is attending the fair, on behalf of his father-in-law, as well. Jack exits the bar only to realize that they are shooting fireworks. Both men, unaware that the other is so close, stands on the grass admiring the fireworks. Then, unexpectedly, they look around and their eyes meet for the first time since Brokeback. For them the whole world just became the size of the distance between them. Nothing else matters, fireworks forgotten. Just the knowledge that what they had on Brokeback was still there, only that is was magnified a thousand times.
In my mind the scene would end with them standing a couple of meters apart, fireworks shooting in the background and "this years love" by David Gray the only sounds heard.

I know...I know..i'm a terrible romantic. So shoot me! I do realise now, after seeing the movie, what importance the actual second meeting had - so even though I don't really want anything changed, I do smile when I think about my original idea of the scene.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2006, 06:56:54 pm »
Ennis is alone outside, unaware that Jack is attending the fair, on behalf of his father-in-law, as well. Jack exits the bar only to realize that they are shooting fireworks. Both men, unaware that the other is so close, stands on the grass admiring the fireworks. Then, unexpectedly, they look around and their eyes meet for the first time since Brokeback. For them the whole world just became the size of the distance between them. Nothing else matters, fireworks forgotten. Just the knowledge that what they had on Brokeback was still there, only that is was magnified a thousand times.
In my mind the scene would end with them standing a couple of meters apart, fireworks shooting in the background and "this years love" by David Gray the only sounds heard.

I know...I know..i'm a terrible romantic. So shoot me! I do realise now, after seeing the movie, what importance the actual second meeting had - so even though I don't really want anything changed, I do smile when I think about my original idea of the scene.

First of all ... welcome! Second of all, I am so glad I am not the only hopeless romantic on this board!!

It is funny you mention the fireworks. I have thought it would have been apropos for them to be together when the fireworks were going off for obvious reasons!! Sigh! We can only fantasize!  ::)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2006, 07:10:08 pm »
I think that fireworks idea is so sweet.

That being said, I do believe that the restraint truly enhances our longing and makes the film powerful in a way it might not be if some of the "unfilmed" scenes were actually included.  Scenes filmed but not included would be very very interesting but I doubt that all together they could cure the longing expressed here for that which simply does not exist.  IMHO if Jack and Ennis ever got what we want them to have, this fascination, this forum, and this discussion simply would never have existed.

This is true. The lack of any characters' happiness or sexual contact in the second half of the film really increases that depressingly desolate feeling, excellently.

I would've liked to see all of what Aguirre saw on Brokeback.
I would've liked to see Jack telling Ennis about his father abusing him when he was little, still feeling upset about it, and Ennis comforting him.
I would've liked to have a 'wrung it out a hundred times thinkin' about you' line in the movie as well as the book.
Perverted, I know, but I would've liked to see them making love in the motel scene (and the second tent scene).
I would've liked the filmmakers to indicate Jack is thinking about Ennis while having sex with Lureen, as they did with Ennis and Alma (I really liked the "sometimes you feel so lonely..." touch).
Ennis' and Jack's last moments together, although it's quite brilliant and touching that we don't see those, so I'm not complaining.

The restraint in this movie really gives the film an overall feeling that, amongst many other wonderful things, methodic, pure, and hypnotic. This movie is such a tease.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2006, 07:17:55 pm »
The restraint in this movie really gives the film an overall feeling that, amongst many other wonderful things, methodic, pure, and hypnotic. This movie is such a tease.

Hallelujah, brother! I agree with everything you have said.

Sometimes it is best that we don't see all of those things that we fantasize about ... it would end up being disappointing. But, it certainly is fun thinking about it!
Diane

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2006, 07:22:23 pm »
I agree with you too, dly!  ;)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • No man is an island
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2006, 10:05:42 am »
I agree too, & that is one of the factors that sets it apart from so many of the main blockbuster films where they hand the emotions you should be feeling over on a plate, complete with matching theme music.  :P  It's so lazy!  But there's a time & a place for lazy, just not virtually every single film that's released.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2006, 10:20:09 am »
I agree too, & that is one of the factors that sets it apart from so many of the main blockbuster films where they hand the emotions you should be feeling over on a plate, complete with matching theme music.  :P  It's so lazy!  But there's a time & a place for lazy, just not virtually every single film that's released.

It's interesting that you mention the "theme" music. This film uses music very sparingly. When it does, it is not used as a way to evoke emotion. It is used as a way to supplement what is happening in the story. It is too bad that more films cannot be made like BBM. Even though I have watched it endlessly, I can't shake it. It stays with me .... always!  :)
Diane

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:53 pm »
The first time I saw the movie I thought Ennis would get to take Jack's ashes to Brokeback, and perhaps Jack would pay him a posthumous visit.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:08 pm »
The first time I saw the movie I thought Ennis would get to take Jack's ashes to Brokeback, and perhaps Jack would pay him a posthumous visit.

I thought he'd get the ashes, too. I didn't think about the posthumous visit. However, I thought when Ennis died, his ashes would be scattered on BBM, too, so they could be together for eternity.
Diane

mvansand76

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 07:46:55 am »
I thought he'd get the ashes, too. I didn't think about the posthumous visit. However, I thought when Ennis died, his ashes would be scattered on BBM, too, so they could be together for eternity.

:'(