Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 46130 times)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 03:47:16 pm »
This old Brokeback broad is from way Northern California, the smallish city of Eureka, (although my heart is sometimes in NYC, where long ago I spent five years).  I haven't found any Brokaholics here; there must be few but they sure aren't making themselves known.  Awful sorry I missed the SF/Castro event, but I've been away from this site for a couple of months and had just started coming back. I gotta say I'm really enjoying the friendly Tremblays and all the other more recent visitors.  The spirit is high here. Ciao, Iris/Elaine ;)
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 04:53:54 pm »
We  just had a vote for Western Europe! Who was it?
Me! greetings from Belgium on the first day of the state visit by queen Beatrix  :D
(I'd like to post a picture here but I haven't figured that out...)

Thank you for answering the poll!
graag gedaan!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 05:04:06 pm »
Another voice and vote from Western Europe here. :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 06:39:23 pm »
Of course, most people already know I'm from Toronto - that's in Canada, you know!  ;D
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 07:47:10 pm »
Of course, most people already know I'm from Toronto - that's in Canada, you know!  ;D

Roland - I am familiar with Toronto! I drove through it twice on my way to beautiful Quebec! I wish we would have stopped and stayed for awhile. It looked like a very nice city.

Another voice and vote from Western Europe here. :)

Mikaela.. thanks for voting! :)

Me! greetings from Belgium on the first day of the state visit by queen Beatrix  :D
(I'd like to post a picture here but I haven't figured that out...)
graag gedaan!

belbbmfan... Oh Queen Beatrix!! I love her! Thanks for replying! I look forward to reading your posts here.
Groeten uit het warme en vochtig Indiana!

This old Brokeback broad is from way Northern California, the smallish city of Eureka, (although my heart is sometimes in NYC, where long ago I spent five years).  I haven't found any Brokaholics here; there must be few but they sure aren't making themselves known.  Awful sorry I missed the SF/Castro event, but I've been away from this site for a couple of months and had just started coming back. I gotta say I'm really enjoying the friendly Tremblays and all the other more recent visitors.  The spirit is high here. Ciao, Iris/Elaine ;)

Hi Iris/Elaine... I have never been to Eureka, but I have certainly heard of it! Yes, the spirit does seem high here! I look forward to reading your posts.

Howdy, pardners!

I am from Texas, a native of that state, born in Grand Prairie (part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area), but resident in the beautiful capital of Austin since 1973 (when I was six years old). I'm a city boy through and through, but just a couple of generations removed from farming and ranching folk. A great-uncle of mine was a real-life cowboy, and my mother tells me that Ennis reminded her a lot of him. One of my direct ancestors (the father or grandfather of a great-grandmother) has also been described as a "cowpuncher", and a great-grandfather was a ranch man turned farmer.

Texas is an unusual state in being at the confluence of the South, Midwest, and Southwest. I opted for U.S. Southwest in the poll, but Texas has a little of the other two in the mix as well. Never been to Childress, Jack's Lone Star home; that might prove a good pilgrimage destination in the future.

Cheers,
 :)
Scott in Central Texas

Hey Scott! Thanks for responding! I look forward to reading your posts too. I have been to Austin and Houston before. And a very quick stop in Dallas once. Texas is a wonderful state! You have a little bit of EVERYTHING there!

I have to ask though.... what is a cowpuncher?  ???

Hi again, David. :)

I was born in Boston but I now live in Tucson, AZ.
I've lived in California, Oregon, New York, Osaka Japan, Penang Malaysia, and La Paz Mexico.

Hi Gregg.. I am already familiar with your part of the country from your beautiful pictures... thanks for sharing them with us! I am also reading your journal. Thanks for all your input here! I appreciate it! By the way, Boston is a great city too! :)

I was born in Madrid, Spain. :)

Giancarlo... you had several ways you could have voted... Western Europe, Southern Europe, or Western U.S.! Maybe I should have put a Southwestern Europe on the list... but I was afraid I was going to run out of room. Thanks for all the pictures you post on here. I enjoy looking at them, although the pictures of the paella did make me hungry! ;)

I think I am going to have to continue this on another post.... it's getting long! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 08:02:30 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost David, I'm sure you'll love it here.

I was born in Arizona, but we moved to Illinois when I was 9 months old, so I'm definitely a midwesterner. Home is in southern IL but I go to college in the Chicago suburbs.

Cmr - Thanks for the welcome!  :)

I am familiar with Southern Illinois. I lived in Evansville, Indiana for about 8 years. Have you ever been to Garden of the Gods? It is beautiful there. Thanks for replying! I am looking forward to reading your posts on here. :)

Hi David, welcome to BetterMost  :)

The second vote for Western Europe is mine (Germany, to be exact).

Penthesilea - Thanks for the welcome! You live in Germany! I bet you are busy watching the World Cup right now! I have been trying to keep up with it. Some of the people there are dressing up in beautiful costumes! I am cheering for The Netherlands! I hope they win! It looks like the whole country is bustling with activity right now! :)

Welcome to BetterMost David!

It is so much nicer here than IMDB.   And we have all these great pictures too!

I am a true blue Connecticut Yankee.   But as of late, I have been adding alot of "Y'alls, sure enoughs, and tell you whats" to my dialog!   LOL.     I think my next collector car will actually be an old Jack Twist type of pick up truck.  This way I can wear my Black cowbot hat in it!     :)

Hi David! I have been reading your posts all over Bettermost. They are really great! I am looking forward to reading more of them in the weeks and months to come! Thanks for the welcome! :)

I chose U.S. Northeast/East even though I'm more technically in the South (Boca Raton, Florida - on the east coast between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale).  I think of Florida more as the East Coast than as the South because most people here, at least in this part of Florida, are from New York anyway.

Good idea for a poll, David!  And welcome.  :)

Hi Barb! I love South Florida. I lived there for a couple of years. Have you ever heard of Plantation? It is on the west side of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you have heard of it. I still miss it sometimes. I may move back someday! Thanks for the welcome and compliment on my poll! I think it is interesting! :)

I see we U.S. Midwesterners are in the majority. (All three of us, as of this writing.)

I have lived in the Chicago area since January, but am originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and lived there most of my life. I also lived in New Orleans for seven years. (I also lived very briefly in Ketchum, Idaho, and in New York.) I have never seen a BetterMost member from either Minnesota or Louisiana, but if there are any, drop me a line, say if your there!

And Stephanie and David, who you callin conservative? Minnesota was the only state in the union to vote for Walter Mondale against Ronald Reagan in 1984 (course, Mondale is from Minnesota). Actually, though, Minnesota has voted for Democrats in every presidential election. So has Illinois, I believe (well, I guess not in 1984). Politically, at least, not all of the Midwest is conservative.

Socially, it may be a different story ...

Hi latjoreme! Yes, Minnesota is great. I think I told you this already, but I once went camping for two weeks up in the Boundary waters.... way up north, at the very top of Minnesota. That was a long time ago, but I sure do remember it! Yes, I think Minnesota is pretty liberal compared to other midwestern states..... like Indiana.
Thanks for responding! :)

David,

I'm from Tennessee and work in Huntsville, AL now.  Lisa (BB Stacker) & I are R/L friends - we bonded over beers and trivia a few years ago (3?).  (She said it was OK to tell people that.)  The home of my heart, however, is Boston, MA where I lived for 8 years.  When circumstances permit, I'll be moving on -- I just feel too out-of-step with most of the people around me.  It can be tiresome and lonely.

You should go check out our frappr map and add yourself, if you haven't already done so:

www.frappr.com/bettermost

Lynne

Hi Lynne! Yes, I love Boston too. It's a great city. By the way, thanks for telling me about frappr. I went over there and signed up for it! I will have to go back and check it out a little more. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »
I chose "Northeast/ East" in the US.  Western Pennsylvania is a tough call...  I think Pennsylvania is generally considered "eastern" but out here, we're very, very close to the Midwestern transition zone.  I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts for large chunks of my life so, I very much identify with the Northeast. But,  I was born in the Chicago area and lived there until I was 14...  so Midwestern is also pretty appropriate for me.

cheers!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 09:27:09 pm »
I still consider myself a Northerner even after more than 18 years in Washington, D.C. -- which is DEFINITELY the South to me!  So... it's a mere five weeks until the moving van arrives and takes me home to Buffalo, NY (yes really and I do LOVE snow, so no jokes please   :) ).  So I'd better stop postin' & get to packin' (which I have been saying for weeks!).  Since I will be moving into my dad's old farmhouse, maybe I will refer to Buffalo as Lightnin' Flat (*great, his obsession grows worse...*).  Gotta whip that old ranch into shape.

Great idea for a poll.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

moremojo

'Cowpuncher'='cowboy'
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »

I have to ask though.... what is a cowpuncher?  ???
'Cowpuncher' is a variant of 'cowboy', but is somewhat more rarely invoked when describing those men. I was surprised to see my ancestor described as such when I saw, for the first time in my life, a portrait of him at the San Antonio home of a great-uncle of mine, who I, my dad, and my sister visited this past June 8th. My great-uncle showed us a curious, faded photograph of our ancestor, shown astride a horse next to the grave of a friend of his. A caption at the bottom of the image read: "J.W. Gardner, cowpuncher".

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:08:43 pm by moremojo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 10:38:08 pm »
I still consider myself a Northerner even after more than 18 years in Washington, D.C. -- which is DEFINITELY the South to me!  So... it's a mere five weeks until the moving van arrives and takes me home to Buffalo, NY (yes really and I do LOVE snow, so no jokes please   :) ).  So I'd better stop postin' & get to packin' (which I have been saying for weeks!).  Since I will be moving into my dad's old farmhouse, maybe I will refer to Buffalo as Lightnin' Flat (*great, his obsession grows worse...*).  Gotta whip that old ranch into shape.

Great idea for a poll.

Hi Alec! Yes, Washington D.C. is in the  South. Maryland and Virginia are southern states. Washington D.C. gets hot in the summer too! Just like Indiana does... a steambath. You sound happy to be going back to Buffalo, so I am certainly happy for you. Be sure to come back and post here after you get moved... okay? :D

I chose "Northeast/ East" in the US.  Western Pennsylvania is a tough call...  I think Pennsylvania is generally considered "eastern" but out here, we're very, very close to the Midwestern transition zone.  I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts for large chunks of my life so, I very much identify with the Northeast. But,  I was born in the Chicago area and lived there until I was 14...  so Midwestern is also pretty appropriate for me.

cheers!

Hi atz (Amanda isn't it?).. Yeah, you are awfully close to Ohio, so you are pretty close indeed to the Midwest. And since you are from Chicago, you sure sound like a Midwesterner to me! But you are also an easterner, just like you said... is there such a thing as a Midwest Easterner? Or an Eastern Midwesterner? Eastern Midwesterner? That is pretty much what you are now, in W. Pa!

This is getting complicated! Thanks for doing the poll! :)