Author Topic: Strange or puzzle unthought of, unsolvedWhy did Aguirre hire Jack a second time?  (Read 10055 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
         Strange or puzzle unthought of, unsolved: Why did Aguirre hire Jack a second time?                     [/b]

Why?

What do you think? Do tell...  as you please.

And if you are a Guest, and if you want to post, you have to be a member in order to post, I am told.

Bienvenue, that's welcome ! If you have any trouble, you can find my private email address on this site, and so emailing me with the title TROUBLE would help !

What do you think too ? 

I can only see many pros and cons about this subject!

Do you have a reason or thought about this?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:18:10 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Jack prolly did his job the first time without stemming any roses.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

Merci  tampatalon !

You lost me... and you can detail, please.

Wasn't Jack his second time, hired by Aguirre?

So what do you think happened the first time?

Did Aguirre have a crush possibly on Jack the first and second time he hired Jack?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I agree with tamp that Jack might have done nothing to arouse Aguirre's ire the first summer, or at least not got caught at it. Although Aguirre wasn't happy with the results of the previous summer, with nearly 25% loss, he probably realized it was not Jack's fault (there was a lightning storm).

But I think the real reason was because he had no choice. Ennis and Jack were the only two people who applied for the job. Even today there are only about 500,000 people in all of Wyoming (as Annie Proulx said in her most recent interview which you can listen to here on BetterMost) and many of those were opposed to sheep herding and favored cowboying instead. Working on the oil rigs was much more lucrative than sheepherding and it meant that young men must sacrifice their whole summer without even a chance of getting to town on their day off. Road construction, farming and ranching, coal mining, forestry and other work in the resource-rich state of Wyoming attracts most other able-bodied boys and men.

And let's not forget the draft which was taking away young men nearly as fast as they could be produced!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup, yes thanks very much Front-Ranger!

You post details well the probability that it was difficult for Aguirre to find help !

Considering that you say:
        I agree with tamp that Jack might have done nothing to arouse Aguirre's ire the first summer, or at least not got caught at it.             

Front-Ranger, I can see that since Jack was working alone that first year; so, he had no one to have a crush on, except maybe have sex with one passing ? And if that did happen once or more then that first year,  likely Aguirre did NOT see it, and so hired Jack a second time!

But it is still puzzling that Aguirre saw Jack and Ennis have fun and still kept them working both for a few weeks; and, maybe as soon as he had a chance such as that upcoming storm, then he got rid of his two hired hands !! Then, Aguirre would be straight or bisexual!

But I think that Aguirre talks like a French-Canadien man to Jack first and second time, telling him mildly about Jack's fun; that Aguirre does not talk about to Jack like John Wayne would slapping or beating him up?? Why?

To me, Aguirre is therefore bisexual or gay, reacting and acting towards Jack !!

It remains that does Aguirre have a crush on Jack in order to hire him a second time?

There are also other puzzling things about this !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I don't think Aguirre had a romantic interest in Jack; otherwise, he would have hired him a third time, rather than send him off with his tail between his legs, hehe! Better yet, he would have hired Jack but not Ennis and gone up the mountain with him! No, I think Aguirre was purely interested in getting the sheep herding job done. Who knows what his private life was like? I suspect there was a Mrs. Aguirre or a bf or gf who dialed him up while he was finishing up the hiring process. But we just don't know, and it doesn't matter what the gender was. In fact, that's one of the big points of the story/movie: in spite of Ennis' fears, nobody really cared or represented a real threat to Ennis and Jack being together. Others have pointed this out before, but I will repeat it. At the end of the movie, quite a few people knew about Ennis and Jack's relationship, but no one did anything to stop it or to hurt them. Ennis' fears were ungrounded but that didn't stop him from putting his and Jack's lives on hold.

:(

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger !

May I disagree in many ways to some or all your points in your recent post ?

You want some infomation?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
yes, certainly, I would like to know your point of view!

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger,

One of the points is the following about your certainty of no danger, since you say:
              At the end of the movie, quite a few people knew about Ennis and Jack's relationship, but no one did anything to stop it or to hurt them. Ennis' fears were ungrounded but that didn't stop him from putting his and Jack's lives on hold.

Front-Ranger, are you forgetting that two men did talk about Jack being gay, right in front of Jack's wife ?
I might be wrong, but didn't that happen in the movie?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Front-Ranger, are you forgetting that two men did talk about Jack being gay, right in front of Jack's wife ?
I might be wrong, but didn't that happen in the movie?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Well, they called him a pissant...but that's not the same as calling him gay. And they never did anything to hurt him as far as the movie goes.