Author Topic: Strange or puzzle unthought of, unsolvedWhy did Aguirre hire Jack a second time?  (Read 10082 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Even to-day, I would like to know if anyone has an answer to this question, I posed !

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Merci Front-Ranger,

intéressant ! Yes, your post is interesting !

Since Jack said daddy to describe Mr. Twist, then that is a term of endearment ?

Did Jack always say: Daddy ?

And is there a difference between father and daddy, possibly ??

Au revoir,
hugs !   Words are important !

Hi Artiste.
    For me, the difference between "daddy" and "father" in spoken English is one of formality, with "Daddy'"(or more often. "dad"), being less formal than "father". It may also be a class marker but I'm not sure if functions that way in spoken American English as it can in spoken British English.
    The first time Jack uses "daddy" is fairly early on. This is during the painful parting from Ennis after they've come down from Brokeback and are about to separate:

Jack: Might go up to my daddy's place, give him a hand through the winter.

Maybe he uses "daddy"" after that but I can't remember. Ennis calls his father "daddy" when he tells of how he was taken by him as a young boy to looks at Earl's murdered body and Lureen calls her father "daddy" during the Thanksgiving scene. Both Alma Jr and Jenny call Ennis "daddy", so it seems to be the standard form of address for both generations.

As far as your other question about why Aguirre hires Jack for a second summer, I think Front-Runner has said all that needs to be said. Essentially Aguirre has no choice. The agency has sent him these two and he clearly doesn't have the time to reject one and wait for a replacement even if a replacement was available at this late stage which it well might not have been. However, it might be worth noting that he shows no signs of disquiet once he sees it's Jack who's one of the pair and shows every sign of being prepared to hire him for a subsequent summer. However, he does make Jack the one who has to sleep with the sheep and thus make him more responsible for the final count than Ennis.

Offline Artiste

Merci chowhound !

I note that you say:
       However, it might be worth noting that he shows no signs of disquiet once he sees it's Jack who's one of the pair and shows every sign of being prepared to hire him for a subsequent summer. However, he does make Jack the one who has to sleep with the sheep and thus make him more responsible for the final count than Ennis.                 

Chowhound (and others too), I am surprised by this. By seeing your expression that Aguirre shows no sign of diquiet seeing Jack in order to hire him a second time, and to me, Aguiire shows more than that, beyond maybe that (too) ! I seem these days come to think that Aguirre has a relationship with the Twists and/or Jack, and maybe Aguirre is a relative ?

May I suggest that for now ? What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Merci chowhound !

I note that you say:
       However, it might be worth noting that he shows no signs of disquiet once he sees it's Jack who's one of the pair and shows every sign of being prepared to hire him for a subsequent summer. However, he does make Jack the one who has to sleep with the sheep and thus make him more responsible for the final count than Ennis.                 

Chowhound (and others too), I am surprised by this. By seeing your expression that Aguirre shows no sign of diquiet seeing Jack in order to hire him a second time, and to me, Aguiire shows more than that, beyond maybe that (too) ! I seem these days come to think that Aguirre has a relationship with the Twists and/or Jack, and maybe Aguirre is a relative ?

May I suggest that for now ? What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Hi Artiste,
   I'd be very surprised to find out that Aguirre is a relative of the Twists. Where is the evidence? It's true, Aguirre undertakes the arduous journey up Brokeback to tell Jack that his Uncle Harold is in hospital but I assume that is because Mrs Twist asks  him to do so not because he is her relative. No, I think we must assume that the first time Aguirre set eyes on Jack Twist was when he worked for Aguirre the previous summer.

Offline Artiste

Merci chowhound !

So, it is not still clear that Aguirre is or is not an relative of Mrs. or Mr. Twist ! I wonder if Annie did give any clue to that?

And may I ask, why did Aguiire hire Jack a second time, since it seems that there was great deal of lost of sheeps the first year Jack worked for him ? Plus, now, instead hiring only Jack, Aguiire hires two hands, which makes it more expensive for Aguirre ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

I still can't see why Aguirre hired Jack a second time ! Can you ?

Offline Artiste

I don't think that there is a simple answer to this ! Even to-day, I think the answer is a complexe one.

What do you think ?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
       Regards the term "pissant,"  it is a common term in the southwest.  It is a reference to a very tiny ant.  They commonly called sugar ants also.
The reference is to the size of them, being smaller than the regularly seen and customary sized ants,found  in greater abundance.  They are the smallest and
mostly just a nuisance, they are easily gotten rid of.  They tend to be the kind of ant that is most found entering houses, and becoming a "small" insignifiicance but mainly a nuisance..  Therefor not worthy of a lot of effort or worry.  Unlike the larger and more dangerous type of ants.   
     It primarily is saying that a person you call by that name, is of little or no significance.  Harmless for the most part, and easily gotten rid of.  And rather
transitory.

I used to hear that term a lot during my growing up years.  Most often referring to transient workers on farms etc.  It was in no way at all, referring
to his sexual orientation.

I agree with the way others here have said they think about Aguirre hiring Jack for the following year.  He had no other men to do the job.  He
Had not been sufficienty negligent the previous year, to disallow him being rehired for the next.. He knew that the loss of sheep due to the
lightning storm was not Jack's fault.  I  am also familiar with men in his position.  They tend to blow off steam with little provocation, in order to
release their own frustrations.  Those reasons can be well shown, because of things like the weather and the trials of happenstance.  It is at least,
a frustrating job he has.  It doesn't excuse him for being such a ridiculous bore however.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Janice,  :D

"chewing gum and duct tape"