Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41354 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The Sixth Sense
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:24 pm »
Jake's movie 'Zodiac' is not going to be anytihng like 'Se7en'.

The Zodiac killer - a real person - two actually - didn't kill like the psycho did in 'Se7en'.  He wasn't overly weird or gruesome.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2006, 08:14:07 pm »
Jake's movie 'Zodiac' is not going to be anytihng like 'Se7en'.

The Zodiac killer - a real person - two actually - didn't kill like the psycho did in 'Se7en'.  He wasn't overly weird or gruesome.

I actually was just referring to the moody, brooding and dark statement...I wonder if Zodiac will be like that.  The same emotional directorial style that is seen in Fight Club and Panic Room....many subtle similarities between the two...

Ya know?

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2006, 08:18:35 pm »
I actually was just referring to the moody, brooding and dark statement...I wonder if Zodiac will be like that.  The same emotional directorial style that is seen in Fight Club and Panic Room....many subtle similarities between the two...

Ya know?

Yeah Chris, that's what I was talking about when I said I think it's going to be a really different Fincher movie... I think it will have some of that dark, brooding quality, but, from what I've read, it seems like he takes this one in a new direction, I can't wait!

Now go watch the Sixth Sense! What's wrong with you?  ;) Seriously though, I can't believe you haven't seen this, it is really good, the best M. Night Shamalan IMO, I think he just gets steadily worse and his movies get more predictable as he goes (though I've still enojoyed most of them...) Anyone planning on seeing Lady in the Water?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2006, 08:22:46 pm »
Now go watch the Sixth Sense! What's wrong with you?  ;) Seriously though, I can't believe you haven't seen this, it is really good, the best M. Night Shamalan IMO, I think he just gets steadily worse and his movies get more predictable as he goes (though I've still enojoyed most of them...) Anyone planning on seeing Lady in the Water?

Nope....looks kinda dumb to me...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2006, 08:24:01 pm »
Me too, I'm boycotting, after the Village I decided I was done with his movies... (go ahead those who love the Village and yell at me  :) )
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

vkm91941

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2006, 08:29:51 pm »
Me too, I'm boycotting, after the Village I decided I was done with his movies... (go ahead those who love the Village and yell at me  :) )

I liked the Village but I won't yell at you sweetie because I can see where it is not everyone's cup of tea.  I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there...and the teaser and TV ads have not intrigued me at all.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2006, 08:30:40 pm »
I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there

Neither can I...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »
I like M. Night's movies.  Some are better than others to be sure.  I liked the 'Village' up until it turned into a 'Twilight Zone' episode.

I was intrigued by 'Lady in the Water' until I went to some website or read some magazine article, I can't even recall what my source was - and the entire plot was spelled out without warning including the twist.

Now, who knows if that source was right or not, but that pretty much doomed the movie for me.  Plus, none of the actors does anything for me.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2006, 08:37:21 pm »
I liked the Village but I won't yell at you sweetie because I can see where it is not everyone's cup of tea.  I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there...and the teaser and TV ads have not intrigued me at all.

Thanks Vic  ;)

No, I liked the village until about half way through.  Partly I was frustrated with his inability to make a movie without a twist ending because I've started looking for them in his movies and predicted the village about 15 minutes into it, which was really frustrating.  I kept telling myself that he wouldn't take it the direction I thought he was going to, but then he did.... Also, spoiler ahead,  I hated the fact that we spent the first half of the movie concentrating on Joaquin Phoenix's character then suddenly he was taken away from us and we were asked to concentrate on Bryce Dallas Howard, nothing annoys me more than putting my energy into a character for no reason...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:54 pm »
nothing annoys me more than putting my energy into a character for no reason

One of my beefs with 'King Kong'.