Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3098202 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #940 on: July 09, 2006, 10:22:32 pm »

*** Spoiler Alert ***

There have been fascinating reversals in the love story of Ennis and Ellery. Sometimes Ennis assumes a role previously played by Jack in their time together or more recently by Ellery.

One of the most striking reversals happened in chapter 71 when Ennis came home to find Ellery drunk and in emotional turmoil on the patio. Ellery kept trying to push Ennis away, and Ennis would have none of that. It reminded me of the heart rending lake scene in BBM where Ennis told Jack to get the f--- off him, but Jack kept on until Ennis collapsed in his arms. It brought tears to my eyes.

I think I've come up with a useful shorthand term for this kind of reversal. It happens in our real life relationships. I call it a karmic mirror.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #941 on: July 09, 2006, 10:36:30 pm »
       *** Spoiler Alert ***

One of the most striking reversals happened in chapter 71 when Ennis came home to find Ellery drunk and in emotional turmoil on the patio. Ellery kept trying to push Ennis away, and Ennis would have none of that. It reminded me of the heart rending lake scene in BBM where Ennis told Jack to get the f--- off him, but Jack kept on until Ennis collapsed in his arms. It brought tears to my eyes.

That is the exact same observation I made on LiveJournal! :D
What an amazing chapter!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #942 on: July 10, 2006, 04:26:51 am »
I just pored through all of the wonderful comments and posts in LJ and here folks... and I want to thank you all too.  It isn't as much because you liked what I wrote, it's more because you relate to it, you understand it, you can decode it... you know why it is there and why these things are, and can appreciate them.  The concept of the "karmic mirror" or what another mystic friend of mine has called a karmic reversal, plays an important role here.

My vision of Ennis as he moves, changes and transforms for and with his new lover I am realizing, is a radical and provocative one, because it is not a passive piece of entertainment for a reader.  Perhaps like Annie Proulx's original story, it makes a daring challenge to a reader to accept the facts as they are presented, the pain of not only being in the closet but also the pains of growth, the regrets involved in daring to love and be loved, the dynamics of caring.  It is, as Jack would say, "no little thing."  What this means is that those of you who have signed on to the trip are those who are daring as well, daring to be confronted with the dynamics of love, who have felt these losses or are facing them, and deciding that you have it in you to face them.  And for that I am also grateful... that I'm not alone in needing to write about this journey for Ennis.

Now if anyone can explain to me why I had a silly dream where my washing machine broke down and I spent the entire dream telling my little sister to shut up...
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #943 on: July 10, 2006, 06:26:07 am »
Hot Damn!    I just came home and there's like 4 or 5 new chapters to read!   

Thanks Louisev!!!!

Don't you just love coming home these days :)

and
*** Spoiler Alert ***

There have been fascinating reversals in the love story of Ennis and Ellery. Sometimes Ennis assumes a role previously played by Jack in their time together or more recently by Ellery.

I think I've come up with a useful shorthand term for this kind of reversal. It happens in our real life relationships. I call it a karmic mirror.

Isn't it amazing how Louise brought Ennis and the rest of us to this point? I started rereading Taking Chances and again I'm struck by the journey Ennis has made so far. For letting him be loved and love again. thanks Louise, for the life you've given him  :-*

F
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #944 on: July 10, 2006, 06:31:04 am »
seems like rereading the saga is getting to be the thing to do. I had to go back Saturday to the early chapters of "A Second Chance" to map the future course of that book and found out... a whole lot happens with these boys, don't it?!!!

thanks for the feedback, bel!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #945 on: July 10, 2006, 06:33:31 am »
for anyone who would like, I am popping into the chat for a while!  I want to give it a test!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #946 on: July 10, 2006, 06:59:09 am »
Great insight. Thanks for that.

Pastorfred can you briefly telll us what in your view these Ennis/Jackarchetypes represent and how far Ellery might be in some way an extension of Jack as well as a unique persona in his own right? Sorry if this sounds like an exam question!!!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #947 on: July 10, 2006, 07:04:10 am »
Just a thought about that beautiful "coital embrace" of Ennis and Ellery. I think a sculpture (or drawing) of that would rival Rodin's The Kiss. Any artists out there?
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #948 on: July 10, 2006, 08:32:26 am »
you mean where they are twisted together and Ennis leans down and kisses him while fully penetrating?  Only an athlete, whose body was "built for fighting and for the horse" could pull that one off.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #949 on: July 10, 2006, 08:36:12 am »
you mean where they are twisted together and Ennis leans down and kisses him while fully penetrating?  Only an athlete, whose body was "built for fighting and for the horse" could pull that one off.

Well Ennis and Ellery did, and the imagery is beautiful.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!