Author Topic: Do You Believe In Ghosts?  (Read 41900 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Do You Believe In Ghosts?
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:03 pm »
Very interesting subject, and I have a story:  When I purchased my condo and moved in, I unpacked everything bewfore deciding where to put things.  One item in particular was an English Clock with a glass dome, with 4 globes at the botom that moved, operated by battery, but no battery was in the clock.  One day I came into the bedroom where the clock was and it was operating, with the correct time, but no battery was in it.  The next day it wasn't operating, but it was several days later.  This went on for a few weeks, along with other small things being moved.  I happened to mention this to my neighbor who had been in the building several months longer than me, jokingly saying I had a "guest".  My neighbor then told me the story of a homeless person dying in a fire when the building was left unattented during convertion from apartments to condos.  And, he says, the death occurred in what eventually became my condo (the bldg was gutted and those units were enlarged to create the condos).  I never had a problem with my "guest", and never rearranged anything that was changed, presumable by him.  I guess he was content, and I never thought anymore agbout it.

Then one calm spring day I was reading in the living room when I felt a cool blush of air against my cheek, heard a tinkle (like a high-pitched bell), and saw 2 slats of the verticle blinds at the balcony door shimmer (the door was closed and locked).  At that moment I experienced a very strange calming sensation, and remember saying aloud "goodbye".  When I next went into the bedroom, the clock had stoped at the exact time my "guest" departed, and it has never worked since..about 5 years, and still shows that time.

I like to think my "guest" is now at peace in a place of his choosing, but if ever he decides to return, I think it will be acceptable as he was not the destructive ghost/spirit we hear about, but a kind one, and he had a sense of humor (based on some of the "happenings" he engaged in).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2006, 10:47:58 pm »
Very interesting subject, and I have a story:  When I purchased my condo and moved in, I unpacked everything bewfore deciding where to put things.  One item in particular was an English Clock with a glass dome, with 4 globes at the botom that moved, operated by battery, but no battery was in the clock.  One day I came into the bedroom where the clock was and it was operating, with the correct time, but no battery was in it.  The next day it wasn't operating, but it was several days later.  This went on for a few weeks, along with other small things being moved.  I happened to mention this to my neighbor who had been in the building several months longer than me, jokingly saying I had a "guest".  My neighbor then told me the story of a homeless person dying in a fire when the building was left unattented during convertion from apartments to condos.  And, he says, the death occurred in what eventually became my condo (the bldg was gutted and those units were enlarged to create the condos).  I never had a problem with my "guest", and never rearranged anything that was changed, presumable by him.  I guess he was content, and I never thought anymore agbout it.

Then one calm spring day I was reading in the living room when I felt a cool blush of air against my cheek, heard a tinkle (like a high-pitched bell), and saw 2 slats of the verticle blinds at the balcony door shimmer (the door was closed and locked).  At that moment I experienced a very strange calming sensation, and remember saying aloud "goodbye".  When I next went into the bedroom, the clock had stoped at the exact time my "guest" departed, and it has never worked since..about 5 years, and still shows that time.

I like to think my "guest" is now at peace in a place of his choosing, but if ever he decides to return, I think it will be acceptable as he was not the destructive ghost/spirit we hear about, but a kind one, and he had a sense of humor (based on some of the "happenings" he engaged in).

That was great! Thanks for posting it.

I love reading about things like this, especially when it involves a friendly spirit. I always try to remember ghosts are people too. They just don't have their bodies anymore. And just like people, some are friendly, others are mean or angry, and some even have a great sense of humor.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2006, 09:55:06 pm »
When I first moved to San Diego in 1985 I did all the tourist stuff, got involved with a group of photographers and did the tourist thing all over again.  There are several haunted places in Old Town San Diego that I did not know about when the following occurred:

One afternoon my friend Diane and I went to the small cemetery in Old Town to try to photography the grave markers.  Upon arrival she walked one way and me the other..this place is only about 50-70 feet square...suddenly I stopped dead (pardon the pun) in my tracks because I sensed something near me.  I just looked around, making no sudden moves, and called for Diane to come to me.  She got to about 10 feet of me and asked me what was wrong.  When I asked if she felt or heard anything she replied only the wind.  But there was no wind, at least where I was, so I thought no more about it.  Then one day I learned about a tour of haunted places and decided to take it.  Of the 10 of us in the group, only 2 of us..me and the tour guide..had a "sensation".  I have been back to that cemetery many times in the last 15 years, and I have the same sensation.  I never see, feel, or hear anything; just a sensation that something is there with me.

Another incident occurred the day before I got the news of my grandmother's death.  I had just gone to bed, so I don 't know if this happened via a dream or in my conscience mind, but I remember an entity standing at the foot of my bed, not speaking or moving. After what seemed a very long time, it began to desolve, and then I think I recognized it as my grandfather who had died in 1963.  At about 930 the following morning the phone rang.  I picked it up and simply asked when she died.  It was my brother with that news, and the time was 1045P the previous night...the same time as my vision. My grandfather was always protective of me when I was a child, and I believe it was his way of preparing me for the news, and although I would not see her again, I knew they would be together.  Hopefully, someday, maybe I'll also be with them...Doug

iluvchocolate

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2006, 09:55:56 pm »
yes I do belive in ghosts.  I also believe that loved ones spirits hang over us..... sorta like the movie ghost

horo35

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2006, 12:35:04 am »
Ghosts...do they exsit? Possibly.  I believe in an after life..but do we run around haunting houses and stuff?  Hard to say...I haven't died yet!  I guess we'll all find out the truth sooner or later...preferbly much later! ;)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2006, 02:20:45 pm »
I have to say that while a gravitational eddy is simply the explaination of someone desperate to fill the blank in "I don't know why that happened",  I still believe that there is a rational explaination for things. 

The thing is it's ok to say "I don't know" without that automatically meaning "A ghost did it!"

Or automatically coming up with a "logical explanation" that's about 10 times loopier than "a ghost did it". However, that's irrelevant as I wasn't speaking of any supernatural goings-on. Telekenesis has zilch to do with ghosts.

By the way, if you have control over your telekinetic powers to any degree, there is an organisation offering a  $1million reward for proof of any supernatural, paranormal or occult gift or event.
http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

Randi is a nutso fanatic who has built his entire life and career on "debunking". This would NOT be any kind of rational or objective venue to approach, even if I had control over the telekenetic episodes, which I don't.  And the "reward" is an exact counterpart to the "rewards" offered by organized Holocaust deniers. The reward will never be given out, as no amount of evidence of any kind would be acceptable to them.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack on your belief in the paranormal, but I am an adherent to the "Western superstition", and felt compelled to explain my position.

Yes, superstitions do die hard.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2006, 02:24:46 pm »
Ghosts...do they exsit? Possibly.  I believe in an after life..but do we run around haunting houses and stuff?  Hard to say...I haven't died yet!  I guess we'll all find out the truth sooner or later...preferbly much later! ;)

I have three theories as to what ghosts are, other than instances of hoaxes and overheated imaginations:

1) A person who has died a sudden and violent death (which seems to be the context of most haunted houses) and is a little disoriented, not knowing for a little while what's happened. And since time as we know it doesn't likely operate the same way on the other side, "a little while" could be anywhere from a few seconds to a few centuries.

2) Someone who has unfinished business of some kind. People who have had near-death experiences often remark that they didn't want to come back but did because someone in their lives needed them, usually minor children.

3) Just something on the order of leftover energy that the living person is seeing or hearing as a ghost.

These aren't, of course, mutually exclusive so if there's anything to these theories all three could be operative.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2006, 12:18:09 am »
Randi is a nutso fanatic who has built his entire life and career on "debunking". This would NOT be any kind of rational or objective venue to approach, even if I had control over the telekenetic episodes, which I don't.  And the "reward" is an exact counterpart to the "rewards" offered by organized Holocaust deniers. The reward will never be given out, as no amount of evidence of any kind would be acceptable to them.

I'm going to have to disagree here, Marge.  Randi is a quite rational man whose scientific method is well established.  If you read his books - and his work is backed up by CSCICOP - his approaches are not only rational, they're extremely objective.  He forces no one to come to him, the people who approach him claim they have a supernatural talent that they can control and display.

He merely sets up the conditions under which they are tested.  Being a magician himself, he is well aware of scammers and fakers and how they dupe others.  Sometimes these people are con jobs, other times they truly believe they can do these things and end up not being able to demonstrate that they can.

Science is all about empirical evidence.  Being able to measure something.  They can't test something unless what is being tested can be repeated.

They can't test your telekinetic episodes if you can't reproduce the ability on demand so it would be a useless exercise.  Kelpersmek pretty much laid it out.  If you have control over it, your ability should be tested.  If you don't have control over it, there's nothing to test.

That's not saying you don't have these episodes, it's simply saying that there is no scientific basis for them until someone with such abilities who has control over them comes forward to be tested and then there will be.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2006, 12:36:26 am »
Congratulations Dellaluvia On Your 1000th Post!!

:) :) :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2006, 12:56:21 am »
Congratulations Dellaluvia On Your 1000th Post!!

:) :) :)

:o :o :o :o

Here I was following my count for a week, then forgot all about it tonight when I was posting.

Yay me!! ;D ;D ;D