Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1000885 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:32 pm »
Inspired by Lee's thread, "What're you wearing today.." ..

What are you having for breakfast, lunch or supper ...?
Anything exciting, boring, experimental, inspiring,..?

Seeing as it is getting to supper time over here..
I'm having turkey burgers with bacon (well, one burger I hope).  Perhaps with a spinach salad on the side.

A glass of wine is definitely in order as well (Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz, Australian - my absolute favorite).

So, what's for supper?  :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:22 pm »
Well, glad to see our Aussie wine is being enjoyed, Milli.

We used to live in "wine country"....Mudgee NSW...and the area had about 12 wineries. We dont drink it much, but it was a nice day out, when we had visitors to go visit them and taste the samples.

Now....back to the question......

Well, lately we are on an avocado thing. They are in plentiful supply here at the moment, can purchase 3 for $2.
Our favourite lunch is to toast some bread, and have avocado and ham toasted sandwiches.

Last night i had Chicken Kiev, with salad......the Chicken Kiev pieces were bought all ready filled with garlic, the only thing is, when I cooked them, most of the garlic ran out in the pan, so there wasnt much left in them to eat. I will have to work out a better way to cook them....

As the weather is hot here now, salads are our main side dish....tomatoes, lettuce, beetroot, cheese, avocado, capsicum and cucumber.

Now Ive made myself hungry...... ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:19:32 am »
For dinner this evening I had Bavarian goulash served with penne and a side salad with a light vinaigrette dressing, accompanied by a glass (or two) of Wolf Blass 2007 Eaglehawk Australian Merlot, my favourite red wine. For dessert, I made a fresh fruit salad.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:50:36 am »
For dinner this evening I had Bavarian goulash served with penne and a side salad with a light vinaigrette dressing, accompanied by a glass (or two) of Wolf Blass 2007 Eaglehawk Australian Merlot, my favourite red wine. For dessert, I made a fresh fruit salad.

The time difference never ceases to amuse me. I didn't even have lunch today, the US Brokies are around breakfast time (give or take) - and you already had dinner :).

But the German in me wants to know what Aussies think of when they say Bavarian goulash. The term is unheard of in Germany.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 08:55:47 am »
Yesterday was my daughter's birthday and therefore she had the choice of what to eat. As ususal, she wanted to have Chinese take-away food.
We had duck and chicken with various sauces (sweet-and-sour, coconut milk and peanut), vegetables and of course rice.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:20:41 am »
The time difference never ceases to amuse me. I didn't even have lunch today, the US Brokies are around breakfast time (give or take) - and you already had dinner :).

But the German in me wants to know what Aussies think of when they say Bavarian goulash. The term is unheard of in Germany.

What I call Bavarian goulash, Chrissi, is solely my own personal name for the dish I make and is largely unknown to my fellow-countrymen, except for my small circle of friends who also make it.

It is a recipe I first came across in the 1970s when I was introduced to a German chap by a mutual friend. He and his mother lived in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney, where I lived, and had come to Australia to live, from Munich in Bavaria. They had lots of wonderful recipes, which I found very different and exotic, not to mention tasty!

The ingredients are beef, onions, capsicum, chillies, tomato, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, seasoning, red wine and sour cream, all mixed together and cooked slowly and served on a bed of pasta. It is absolutely delicious!

The old lady is now deceased and I have lost contact with the son. I call it Bavarian goulash as a dedication to them.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:35:03 am »
What I call Bavarian goulash, Chrissi, is solely my own personal name for the dish I make and is largely unknown to my fellow-countrymen, except for my small circle of friends who also make it.

I call it Bavarian goulash as a dedication to them.

Now that's nice nice way to remember them. And it explains why wikipedia didn't come up with any matches for my search :laugh:

The ingredients are beef, onions, capsicum, chillies, tomato, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, seasoning, red wine and sour cream, all mixed together and cooked slowly and served on a bed of pasta. It is absolutely delicious!

Yup, sounds like goulash to me :)

Thanks for explaining :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:06:59 am »
This is quite interesting. A Canadian is having Australian wine, the Aussies are eating Russian and Bavarian food, and a German girl wants Chinese take-out for dinner!

So what's on the table in Colorado? Last time I ate was lunch at a nearby deli. I had a tomato stuffed with tuna salad, with lots of delicious morsels of lettuce, onions, hard boiled eggs, etc. around it. It was a huge meal so I had half of it boxed up for another time. Friend Adam had a "Woody Allen" a corned beef and pastrami sandwich. We topped it off with some celery soda like they have at the Carnegie Deli in NY.

This post is making me hungry so I'll have breakfast soon I hope! When my daughter arises, I would like to make her an Irish breakfast. That consists of an egg, ham, potatos, toast, spinach and sliced tomato. At least I think it does...I have never been to Ireland, but she has, several times!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:16 pm »
Breakfast cookie dough, yes I know disgusting, lunch will be panninis , and dinner is beef in red wine, with lots of mashed potatoes and crusty bread to mop up the juices. Some type of alcohol will be on the menu, red wine for husband, beer for me and a vodka for Mandy.
So in the course of a day, I start in America, hoppng over to Italy, and finish off in France, with a quick nod at Russia for the vodka and the czech republic fr the beer.
What a cosmopolitan day. I might introduce Mandy to the delights of Pimms. A lovely summer in as English garden drink.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 06:36:23 pm »
I slept through breakfast.

Lunch was a protien bar.

Dinner was two veggie burgers.  (just the burgers, no buns)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!