Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1008484 times)

injest

Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:56 am »
Great thing you do for those kids, Jess. What I like about it, is you do it. Don't beat some drum about how we gotta do more for the children. Pump more tax dollars into the disinfranchised. Set policies to dumb down education standards so a few--the minority--will feel better about themselves. You take it upon yourself to simply do something. Didn't take more tax dollars. Nothing from the public trough. Your kindness and selfless devotion of time made a difference in these childrens lives. Wonder what most of those who are frantically debating (shouting) left-wing, children/people first, it's all about entitlement, wonks in the political threads have done for a disadvantaged child lately. Hmmmmm??

Brad

that is sweet of you to say, Brad.

It is a lot of work but we DO get paid...just not in money. It is so fun to see how the kids change over the four weeks. Horses are magic....you have to share them. They are a true gift from God. You know that quote from Winston Churchill? "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Don has a plaque with that in the stable.

We have some good calm horses but it is amazing to watch the horses with the kids...they KNOW the difference between a kid and an adult...and allow kids to get away with things no adult could ever get away with. Incredible patience. I have seen a toddler run up to a horse and swing on its tail while the horse just froze and waited for us to come get him....I have seen kids get out of balance and half fall off and the horse stop and shift to help him stay up...

they are special creatures.

sorry for the off topic, guys.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2008, 12:00:17 pm »
well you grow whole new taste buds (I hear) every ten years or so....and I think the article said something about kids taste buds being 'set' for sweet things....

anyhoo...I know there are a lot of things I love now that I HATED as a kid.

I hated onions - used to pick them out of my food every time. 
When we were little, my mom used to try to get us to eat our onions by claiming they make you smart.
Well, for all the onions we ate, homework wasn't getting any easier so we figured pretty quick that it was a trick. lol

Today...

Breakfast is half a cup of coffee & a bowl of grapes.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2008, 01:44:42 pm »
anyhoo...I know there are a lot of things I love now that I HATED as a kid.

So true.  I was never a picky eater, but I hated green peas as a child.  Now I love them.  (Not those gross canned ones, though).  Bright green frozen baby peas are delicious.  I can eat them like a snack. 

Breakfast - Key lime yogurt, coffee

Lunch - Leftover homemade chicken noodle soup and a leftover cheesy garlic biscuit (which was dinner last night, cooked ahead on Sunday!)

Not sure about dinner yet - maybe some kind of stir fry, that's always quick.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
Marie, what's a Key Lime yogurt? Is that a certain brand of yogurt? Or is a 'key lime' a special kind of lime??

Actually lime in yogurt sounds very nice.

I've noticed that some people have a very small breakfast. Some fruit with coffee, or just a yogurt. I need at least a few slices of bread to get me started in the morning. With coffee. And after that I usually have a yogurt and some fruit. I have my breakfast at 7 am and then it's 5 hours or more to go till lunchtime. I need my whole wheat bread to keep me going in the morning.

Today's supper was cod, with a tomato and cream sauce, with a touch of curry spices, served with spinach and potatoes. Dessert was left over from yesterday: my eldest daughter's vanilla and chocolate custard. Very nice.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2008, 03:43:21 pm »
Marie, what's a Key Lime yogurt? Is that a certain brand of yogurt? Or is a 'key lime' a special kind of lime??

Actually lime in yogurt sounds very nice.

I've noticed that some people have a very small breakfast. Some fruit with coffee, or just a yogurt. I need at least a few slices of bread to get me started in the morning. With coffee. And after that I usually have a yogurt and some fruit. I have my breakfast at 7 am and then it's 5 hours or more to go till lunchtime. I need my whole wheat bread to keep me going in the morning.

Today's supper was cod, with a tomato and cream sauce, with a touch of curry spices, served with spinach and potatoes. Dessert was left over from yesterday: my eldest daughter's vanilla and chocolate custard. Very nice.

Yep, key lime is a special kind of lime:

http://www.keylime.com/diff.html

Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, although it's sometimes hard to find key limes, so I have to substitute regular limes, which are not quite as tart.  It's a very nice taste in yogurt!

First thing in the morning, I don't have much of an appetite, but I usually have some kind of snack around 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. to tide me over until lunch - so I guess my breakfast is sort of in "two parts."   :)

Your dinner sounds delicious!  Everyone is giving me some good suggestions!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2008, 03:56:25 pm »
I've never had Key Lime yogurt before Marie, but I love Key Lime Pie! It's one of my favorites. Now I have the urge to make a couple of them tonight! :D

Key Lime Pie

You can bake with a meringue crust or use a whipped topping, no baking.

For the crust:
11 graham crackers (1 1/2 cps), crushed
2 T sugar
2 oz unsalted butter (1/2 stick)

Combine these ingredients, press into 9" pie shell and refrigerate. Or use prepared crust.

For filling:
3-4 eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cp lime juice (Key Limes if possible, but use fresh limes--makes a difference!)
1 t grated lime peel
6 T sugar
1/2 t cream of tartar

Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks, setting aside whites for topping.
Add condensed milk, lime peel, and lime juice, beat til thick.
Pour into baked pie shell.

For topping (or substitute whipped topping but refrigerate, don't bake):

Beat 4 egg whites.
Blend in sugar and cream of tartar, beat til stiff and forms peaks.
Bake in moderate (250 degrees) oven til egg whites are golden brown.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:40 pm »

Lunch was a boring chicken sandwich.

Supper - I'm figuring a seafood something.
I'll open a bottle of wine and have a glass or two.  Possibly the latter.
Today's wine will be Fat Bastard Shiraz.  Anyone tried it?  Yum. ;)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2008, 06:32:45 pm »
I've never had Key Lime yogurt before Marie, but I love Key Lime Pie! It's one of my favorites. Now I have the urge to make a couple of them tonight! :D

Thanks, David!  I'll have to try your recipe soon!   :)

Today's wine will be Fat Bastard Shiraz.  Anyone tried it?  Yum. ;)

Oh, Milli, that's so funny that you brought that up.   I have tried Fat Bastard Shiraz - in fact, I've tried several of the Fat Bastard wines.  I had some of their Merlot this weekend, as a matter of fact!   :)

Marie

pnwDUDE

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2008, 06:41:11 pm »
breakfast: left over spaghetti

lunch: cup of popcorn and a carmel apple (mixed the popcorn with the carmel apple, YUM)

dinner: when we eat, it will be big angus ribeyes, rare thank you very much, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and baby carrots

Brad

pnwDUDE

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43:33 pm »

Key Lime Pie

You can bake with a meringue crust or use a whipped topping, no baking.

For the crust:
11 graham crackers (1 1/2 cps), crushed
2 T sugar
2 oz unsalted butter (1/2 stick)

Combine these ingredients, press into 9" pie shell and refrigerate. Or use prepared crust.

For filling:
3-4 eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cp lime juice (Key Limes if possible, but use fresh limes--makes a difference!)
1 t grated lime peel
6 T sugar
1/2 t cream of tartar

Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks, setting aside whites for topping.
Add condensed milk, lime peel, and lime juice, beat til thick.
Pour into baked pie shell.

For topping (or substitute whipped topping but refrigerate, don't bake):

Beat 4 egg whites.
Blend in sugar and cream of tartar, beat til stiff and forms peaks.
Bake in moderate (250 degrees) oven til egg whites are golden brown.

Makes ME wanna run in and whip one up. Sounds great David. Yoplait (I think) has Key Lime yogurt, and it's darn good.

Brad