Author Topic: Movie Chat Room  (Read 787811 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Movie Chat Room
« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2009, 12:21:56 am »
It ended up being so bad, I later told them I was just "testing" them because I was afraid they thought I was gay, and I wanted to see their reaction. Of course it was a BIG lie, and I didn't tell them again until 2000 while I was living in Evansville. They were much more accepting of it the second time around, and they told me they always knew. Gee, I wonder why?! :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #471 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:33 am »
I went to mylifetime.com and looked at the pictures and read about the family. It looks like the mom and dad have remained together---I'm glad. Something as tragic as the death of a child often causes people to divorce. They have some grandchildren in the pictures, too. I think the man who wrote the book died---wasn't the movie dedicated to Bobby and to him?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #472 on: January 25, 2009, 12:24:22 am »
I was a bit surprised at Mom's reaction because the Lakota believe gay people are special and should be honored and respected. Of course that is an old belief and many Native Americans no longer feel that way towards gay people, although some do and many young Native Americans are reviving the old traditions. I think in Mom's case, her Catholicism overrode her Lakota traditions and beliefs.. at least in this case it did.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #473 on: January 25, 2009, 12:25:44 am »
Jess, I don't know you very well, but if you were like Bobby's parents, you wouldn't be here.  

David, you and I are close to the same age.  As difficult as it was coming out then, I was lucky that my parents were more accepting, despite being Catholic.  

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #474 on: January 25, 2009, 12:28:11 am »
I went to mylifetime.com and looked at the pictures and read about the family. It looks like the mom and dad have remained together---I'm glad. Something as tragic as the death of a child often causes people to divorce. They have some grandchildren in the pictures, too. I think the man who wrote the book died---wasn't the movie dedicated to Bobby and to him?

I noticed at the end of the movie it said "In memory of Bobby and Aaron" but I couldn't figure out who Aaron was (I think it was Aaron) so maybe he was the author of the book, Shasta.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2009, 12:28:17 am »
I can't imagine you being ANYTHING like Bobby's parents Jess!

My parents put me through hell when I first told them I was gay. And ironically it was in 1982, about the same time Bobby did it. I remember it was 1982, because I told them about a month before my grandma passed. She died in November of 1982.

I'm watching it again Paul, so I still have it on! :)

Yeah I remember going through that too and it also was around the same time. My father even gave me the talk about that animals didn't do things like that. I will never forget that. I was in my first relationship with Steve. We had an apartment and my parents came by to talk. Basically I was disowned by my father, but somehow my mother got him through it, but she was devastated too. Years later she told me she had always known I was gay just like what was said in the movie. The first indication I got that they knew something was going on was when my father asked me why I didn't ever mention girls when I talked about my friends. I was 17 at the time, but I was already going to the bar. I had a fake ID. I said, oh yeah there's lots of girls, there Billie Jo, etc., etc. Billie Jo was a drag queen and the other girls I mentioned were lesbians  ;) But now I am very close to my parents.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2009, 12:30:00 am »
Austin Nichols who played Bobby's older brother was in The Day After Tomorrow with Jake. Did anyone know that?

I didn't know that Jack. He's beautiful isn't he?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2009, 12:31:36 am »
Jess, I don't know you very well, but if you were like Bobby's parents, you wouldn't be here.  

David, you and I are close to the same age.  As difficult as it was coming out then, I was lucky that my parents were more accepting, despite being Catholic.  

Hey Paul, I'm glad your parents were accepting of you too! :-*

Re Jess: I totally agree with you Paul. She wouldn't be here if she was like Bobby's parents.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #478 on: January 25, 2009, 12:34:02 am »
Oh my, I had a "members only" jacket, but it wasn't gold.  it was purple! 

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #479 on: January 25, 2009, 12:34:52 am »
This is interesting. I found it on Wikipedia concerning Austin Nichols:

"Nichols has been friends with fellow actor Jake Gyllenhaal since the two met on the set of The Day After Tomorrow in 2004. Nichols said in one interview, "I've learned a ton from Jake. He's a really sharp guy. He told me everything about acting, the business, girls, life."[2] After the film was made, there were some rumors that the two were a couple, which Nichols dismissed as "all new to me" and "ridiculous".