Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188069 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2006, 01:41:09 pm »
Jenna will be deleting and removing her stories from the Somebody New community as well as from LJ this Wednesday.  If you wish to save the stories, you have until Wednesday:

Here is her announcement:

http://community.livejournal.com/somebodynew_j4e/28811.html

:o  ???

mvansand76

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2006, 02:42:48 pm »
^
|
|
What she said:  :o ???

I have heard dramatic announcements like this before from authors of fanfiction. What could possibly have happened? I know, we shouldn't speculate but I am just curious, what would make you take down hours and hours worth of writing?

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2006, 03:05:22 pm »
^
|
|
What she said:  :o ???

I have heard dramatic announcements like this before from authors of fanfiction. What could possibly have happened? I know, we shouldn't speculate but I am just curious, what would make you take down hours and hours worth of writing?

I had the same reaction... I don't know what could have happened? And this may be a stupid question but does this mean she won't be continuing with Force of Nature because I might not be able to handle that... I love that fic  :'(

I just saved all of it to a word document.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2006, 03:13:58 pm »
I had the same reaction... I don't know what could have happened? And this may be a stupid question but does this mean she won't be continuing with Force of Nature because I might not be able to handle that... I love that fic  :'(

I just saved all of it to a word document.

What would be a reason for taking everything down you have worked so hard on? I just don't get it! Frankly, it annoys the hell out of me that we don't know what's going on. I know, it's none of my business and I hope it's nothing too serious for Jenna, that would be awful, but still it bugs me.

I haven't finished the last installment of FON and I don't think I will now, I don't want to continue reading something that is not going to be continued. Maybe somebody can volunteer to continue the story? Mandy? Louise? Amy? Anybody?

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:38 pm »
I wish we knew what was going on too... any explaination, even something vague like "real life is getting me down" or something would be better than knowing nothing. I honestly can't even begin to think of what would make someone not only stop writing but erase everything that has already been posted...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2006, 03:48:17 pm »
It's driving me nuts!! But I know that feeling will only last a few days, I really anticipate that I will have gotten over it by then. This was not one of my favorite ff's and I had no clear idea of where she was going with FON, but I really did like her style of writing. Hopefully she will use her talent for other writing.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2006, 04:03:07 pm »
I did read on another board that someone had spoken to Jenna and her health is fine, everyone in her family is fine, no deaths. etc. So, in that regard, things are good. However, there was no other information about why Jenna had made this decision.

If I learn more, I will post here.

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfiction
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline bailey

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2006, 04:26:19 pm »
I did read on another board that someone had spoken to Jenna and her health is fine, everyone in her family is fine, no deaths. etc. So, in that regard, things are good. However, there was no other information about why Jenna had made this decision.

If I learn more, I will post here.

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfiction

Yes, please do.  A community so well established and so very well beloved vanishing like Atlantis is bound to set up shock waves throughout the fandom.  I'd be very interested to hear the reason behind Jenna pulling her immensely popular fic and its sequel from all public forums.  My first notice was when she wrote to let me know she'd be taking down the chapters from BBM_Phoenix and I was so saddened to think of this classic not being available in our archive.  However, Jenna would not, or could not, give any indication of why.  I'll be checking back for news.

bailey

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2006, 04:37:32 pm »
What would be a reason for taking everything down you have worked so hard on? I just don't get it! Frankly, it annoys the hell out of me that we don't know what's going on. I know, it's none of my business and I hope it's nothing too serious for Jenna, that would be awful, but still it bugs me.

I haven't finished the last installment of FON and I don't think I will now, I don't want to continue reading something that is not going to be continued. Maybe somebody can volunteer to continue the story? Mandy? Louise? Amy? Anybody?

Well that was my reaction too. I mean, whatever it is, if her health etc is ok, which was what I first thought of, then it must be a very personal reason. However, she wasnt even half way through the story. There was so much more to do. I shant bother to save any of it, there seems little point now. Very sad indeed. I,m only glad I bought SN on zine. I wonder if that will still be avaliable to anyone who wants to buy it? What a shame. Jenna is a superb writer as well. Oh well, if you read this Jenna, I wish you well. Ty for giving us SN. I continue to read it from time to time. tc Jenna.xx

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2006, 04:47:33 pm »
I imagine she has a great number of fans and readers wondering and confused, and I am sure that this is difficult for her.  I know of a couple of other instances where authors deleted forum accounts, friended or deleted their LJ's, or left a community in a sudden fashion, and in all of these cases it was a conflict with another individual community member over criticism or the content of one of their stories, which clearly, is not really anyone's business but the parties involved.  However, when a personal conflict with a reader, beta, or other author occurs, it can lead to a lot of speculation and hurt feelings, taking sides, etc, and the only way to avoid that is for one of the parties (or both) to retreat quietly and say nothing about it.  Some remove all of their fics, others provide pdf or doc copies through their readers and circulate them privately.

Depending upon the circumstances, asking questions or speculating about what really happened can lead to compounding the original problem. If Jenna wants to let people know, I am sure she will post something for her fans and readers at some point, and it is probably appropriate to wish her the best and leave it alone.

Louise
FanFic Moderator
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”