Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188003 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2006, 12:34:36 pm »
Helen posted here that she will be doing some of the deletions on the site as the site manager, and I asked if there was any inkling of what occurred, and she does not know.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2006, 12:58:50 am »

ok, for those who are still wondering what happened to cause Jenna to take down her stories, the general concensus is that is was legalities that caused this.  Someone or somebody brought Jenna's zine to the attention of the Big Heads, and the lawyers sent out a Cease and Desist order.  All because she printed her first story in a zine.

I have been told I cannot directly quote someone from the other board (Dave Cullen)  so you would be getting first-hand information if you go over there and read the story at its source, rather than my interpretation.

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2006, 03:31:52 am »
I come home after some time away to pop into BM for 5 minutes before rushing on, and THIS is what I find?

The prospect of never getting to know what happens in FoN, the prospect of never being able to go back to that Japanese Garden with J&E in SN...... (since I've got not a minute more on the net till after Wednesday evening....)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

It's like a BBM omen to me. "Time's up. This was it".      :'(

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 06:25:51 am »
I come home after some time away to pop into BM for 5 minutes before rushing on, and THIS is what I find?

The prospect of never getting to know what happens in FoN, the prospect of never being able to go back to that Japanese Garden with J&E in SN...... (since I've got not a minute more on the net till after Wednesday evening....)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

It's like a BBM omen to me. "Time's up. This was it".      :'(

I know Mikaela, we all feel the same. I,m just so thankfull I got my copy of SN before this happened. I was so enjoying FON as well. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:35 am »
ok, for those who are still wondering what happened to cause Jenna to take down her stories, the general concensus is that is was legalities that caused this.  Someone or somebody brought Jenna's zine to the attention of the Big Heads, and the lawyers sent out a Cease and Desist order.  All because she printed her first story in a zine.

I have been told I cannot directly quote someone from the other board (Dave Cullen)  so you would be getting first-hand information if you go over there and read the story at its source, rather than my interpretation.

There really is no reason to speculate this.  Jenna is no stranger to the fanzines, and her story is published in the same venues as other stories.  If she were asked to take her story down, she would not be "gagged" from saying so.  It is far more likely, as I mentioned above, that a personal matter that is nobody's business in the fandom, has affected her and she is taking the high road and not dragging it into the community.  As a moderator of Fan Fiction I consider it a gesture of respect to her to not speculate that she is the subject of legal action unless she says so.  If you are registered at Davecullen.com she posted a message there this morning thanking people for their offers of support and assuring them that she needs nothing more from them at this time.  It is only right and fair that her readers take her at her word instead of imagining dire scenarios.  In time, we will either know or not know.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

mvansand76

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2006, 07:14:22 am »
There really is no reason to speculate this.  Jenna is no stranger to the fanzines, and her story is published in the same venues as other stories.  If she were asked to take her story down, she would not be "gagged" from saying so.  It is far more likely, as I mentioned above, that a personal matter that is nobody's business in the fandom, has affected her and she is taking the high road and not dragging it into the community.  As a moderator of Fan Fiction I consider it a gesture of respect to her to not speculate that she is the subject of legal action unless she says so.  If you are registered at Davecullen.com she posted a message there this morning thanking people for their offers of support and assuring them that she needs nothing more from them at this time.  It is only right and fair that her readers take her at her word instead of imagining dire scenarios.  In time, we will either know or not know.

I agree, but I think it's only human that people start speculating out of frustration of not knowing.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:10 am »
I agree, but I think it's only human that people start speculating out of frustration of not knowing.

Yes it is. I mean, obviously it is something very personal, and of course Jenna certainly does not have to tell us what is, but, when you have been reading and enjoying a story, such as FON, and it,s barely even half way through, and all of a sudden it,s gone, zine withdrawn etc, people are going to speculate, out of frustration as you rightly said. Whatever it is, I just hope that Jenna is ok, thats the main thing in the end I suppose. I havnt saved any of FON, theres really no point. All very sad, and as you say, for us, frustrating.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2006, 11:49:57 am »

I highly doubt that it is because of issues between her and another fanfic writer.  Jennasts does not have any enemies in the fanfic community she is well loved.  Over at Dave Cullen there are many many fanfic people who know the lay of the land, and not one of them has suggested it is due to internal strife.  Time will tell on this one, but I do believe the general concensus, that it is for the legal reasons that have already been explained.

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 11:56:34 am »
I know that at least one fan of "Force of Nature" has made a word document from the existing chapters and is providing it to people via email, and has offered it over at DC.  Perhaps those who want the story can make a request to get a copy of it from the person who compiled the doc file?

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2006, 12:06:10 pm »
I have made word docs of both Somebody New and FoN... if anyone wants them, let me know
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73