Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188191 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Somebody New (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair) is complete
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 12:36:39 pm »
JennyC

I love you [                                            this much                                                ]

O0

Thanks RouxB!  I feel so loved.  ;D

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
This one is definitely in my top favourite 3 BBM fics. The other two are Amy's "If I asked" and Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come".

I liked Jenny's "When the snow didn't come".  I will also recommend another one of Jenny's BBM fanfic "Big Boots of Pain", which can be found here http://bbm.supersolenoid.it/Big_Boots_of_Pain/1a.html.  It's one of the earlier BBM fanfics when there weren't as many as we have today.  Big Boots of Pain and Human Interest really helped me dealing with my BBM blue in those earlier days.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 08:27:42 am »
I started a couple of fan fics, liked the beginnings but kind of lost interest toward the end. I really liked Somebody New and am glad to know Jenna has more fiction and more to come! I thought Ennis's reaction to being "quit" was very plausible, in fact that's one of the things I liked is that she didn't resort to being melodramic and the story felt plausible. I hesitate to mention my puny one-page scene on LJ but it's under coffeecat33. There is some action behind the scenes that I felt happened and I am putting it on paper. Don't think I have the time, patience, energy & talent to develop a whole story in an AU, but rather want to fill in some gaps. Thanks for the story, Jenna. I really appreciated it and will look for the others.

Now I gotta quit this board & go to work in the "real" world! cc33

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 10:31:34 pm »
This one is definitely in my top favourite 3 BBM fics. The other two are Amy's "If I asked" and Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come".

I read "If I asked" but I can't find Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come." ???
cc33

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 04:33:56 pm »
Hiya everyone, I will be reading the last chapter of somebody new tonight or tomorrow morning (depends on how sleepy I am once my head makes contact with my pillow). I am so glad I started reading this, the title always stopped me, but this is very well-written and it had me on the edge of my seat several times. There was just one dialogue that I did not find very credible....

SPOILER.....

and that's the one between Gary and Ennis during them moving Jack back into his house, there was something about that dialogue that did not ring true, anybody else have that?

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 05:16:39 am »
**spoiler**

Gary was the character I wasn't too pleased about throughout. I thought his characterization was uneven, he came out as too much of a plot device to me, less the real breathing human being. He's a nice guy when that fits the plot, a nasty guy when that fits it, he's moving on easily but with a few sarcasms when he's no longer needed, plot-wise. I think it would have served the story better if he'd been portrayed as a relatively nice guy throughout, a contrast to Ennis in many ways but likable. Ennis still could have been just as filled with jealousy at the thought of him. That J&E have to inflict hurt on others in order for them to be together is nothing new, it's something they have to live with in the original story as it is. I think it would have served Somebody New better if that had been a consistent theme in connection with Gary - that he was genuinely invested in Jack and that we truly got to believe that and feel a little bit bad on his behalf over us wanting him gone from the J&E equation - and feel (more) sorry for him when he had to accept defeat.

That said, there's so much good to enjoy in SN that I don't want to dwell on any little imperfections. Many of the scenes had me biting nails. The tire-changing scene in the rain outside Childress..... OMG! I was at the edge of my seat while reading it. Loved it that the scene didn't play out with a big battle, Ennis saving the day and all, but instead we were left with the ambiguity in Ennis's emotions: Ennis never knowing for sure what would have happened, what he would have, could have done if things had played out more dramatically........that he finds a way to live with the fact that he didn't act the immediate saveing-the-day hero like in his daydreams, that he *almost* couldn't manage to step up to Jack there and be seen as Queer by the world of dangerous homophobes. But at the end of the day he *did* step up.  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 05:25:08 am by Mikaela »

Offline jmstwist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 08:45:27 am »
I read "If I asked" but I can't find Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come." ???
cc33

Here's the link to Jenny's stories: http://www.squashduck.com/ltd/bbm/fiction_index.htm
"When the Snow didn't come" is listed below "Big Boots of Pain"

Jim

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 11:01:18 am »
Thank you!

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 03:14:42 pm »
Here's the link to Jenny's stories: http://www.squashduck.com/ltd/bbm/fiction_index.htm
"When the Snow didn't come" is listed below "Big Boots of Pain"

Jim

Hi Jim, how are you doing, are you enjoying Bettermost? I ' saw' you last on the Lead me to your door thread. Are you also impatiently awaiting a new chapter of that? Thanks for that link to Big Boots of Pain. Did you like it?  I think I need to print it and read it.

Re: somebody new... I finished it! I really liked it, I really got caught up in the story. To the people who haven't read it yet, please do!!!! :D

Offline jmstwist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 01:18:27 pm »
Hi Jim, how are you doing, are you enjoying Bettermost? I ' saw' you last on the Lead me to your door thread. Are you also impatiently awaiting a new chapter of that? Thanks for that link to Big Boots of Pain. Did you like it?  I think I need to print it and read it.

Re: somebody new... I finished it! I really liked it, I really got caught up in the story. To the people who haven't read it yet, please do!!!! :D

Hi,
Yes I am enjoying exploring around on Bettermost.  Lead Me to Your Door started fan fic for me after a friend of mine got me involved. She was the same one who brought me to see BBM and subsequently changed my world.
I'm enjoying the story immensly and like you, can't wait for Saturday for the latest.
I also read Somebody New by Jenna and thought it was really good. What a wonderful alternate ending, even though angst ridden but the end result brought a tear to my eye. I also heard Jenna will be updating next month and am looking forward to that.
I'm reading Big Boots of Pain now and also If I Asked and like both of those as well.
There are quite a few really good writers here, I'm glad to see that, and even more glad that a lot of good folks have the same wish as I do, that Jack and Ennis are together and happy.
Thanks for asking,

Jim