Author Topic: Obama Art  (Read 145595 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Obama Art -- Etch-A-Sketch
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »
Thanks, Marie, but look at Meryl!   :o

I'm looking right now - wow!  I looked through quite a few in the gallery, but your picture is definitely a stand-out, Meryl!

Love seeing "Brokie" and "Jake" also!   :) 

Gorgeous!
Jake Rushmore! Or Houdon!

:laugh: The "Obamaizer" possibilities are endless!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Obama Art
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-01-19/who-took-the-presidential-campaigns-most-famous-photo

Obama Photo Mystery Solved!

After months of searching, I identified the photographer behind the picture that became the campaign’s most enduring image. Even he didn’t know he had taken it.

by James Danziger

I believe that last week I solved the biggest photographic mystery of the 2008 election: I found the photographer who took the photo that was the source for Shepard Fairey’s iconic Obama HOPE prints.

My search began last fall, when I recognized that Fairey’s prints were becoming the definitive visual of the campaign, and I began asking everyone from Amanda Fairey, the artist’s wife, to Holly Hughes, the editor of Photo District News, if they knew who took the original photo. No one could seem to pin it down. Shepard Fairey was on record as saying it came from a Google Image search, but couldn’t (or wouldn’t) track it back to the source.

After several months of digging, I wrote an inquiry on my blog on January 14 asking if anyone knew the answer to the mystery. That day, a computer programmer named Mike Cramer sent me a link to his Flickr page. Cramer had traced the picture back to a 2007 story on Time.com that credited the photo to one Jonathan Daniel of Getty Images. Cramer also showed how the picture was flipped, making the source almost unrecognizable. “I stretched the original a bit (really, a tiny amount) and flipped it horizontally, but didn't need to rotate it at all,” he wrote on Flickr.

Agency photographers are not easy to get a hold of, but I managed to contact Jonathan Daniel via email. To my surprise, he responded that he was positive he was not the photographer who took the picture. The plot thickened.

I immediately contacted Time.com picture editor Mark Rykoff, who was extremely helpful in trying to find the correct attribution. After investigating, he called me back and told me I was correct—the credit was indeed wrong. He fixed it, and pointed me toward who he now believed was the correct source, a Reuters photographer named Jim Young.

A call to Reuters left their Washington desk reeling, but they put me in touch with their Media Pictures person in New York, a woman named Nancy Glowinski, who was cool, calm and collected. She did some checking, and confirmed that Jim Young had indeed snapped the photo in question.

As soon as Time.com changed the photo credit and word got out, Young’s name swirled through the blogosphere. Tom Gralish, a photographer for the Philadelphia Inquirer  who had also spent months trying to track down the photographer behind the HOPE poster, was the first to blog about it. Reuters was initially—and understandably—put out that they hadn’t been credited as the original source of what turned out to be the presidential campaign’s most enduring visual image, but no laws had been broken.

Like it or not, Fairey's use of the picture is well within the parameters of what’s considered "fair use." His transformation of the image—flipping and re-orienting it, adding jacket, tie and the "O" Obama logo, and converting it to his block print style—make it consistent with all legal precedents for public use. (Fairey is the artist behind the now-famous Andre the Giant prints that are probably wheat-pasted all over your city.)

But perhaps the best proof that Fairey transformed the photo into something all his own is that Young, a Washington-based photographer who has taken, in his words, “thousands” of pictures of Obama, was not even aware that the most ubiquitous image of the election was based on his photograph. He’d seen the HOPE poster countless times and never made the connection to his own photograph, which he snapped at a 2007 Senate confirmation hearing.

Young and Reuters worked with me to create an edition of the photograph for the exhibition I have opening at my gallery on Tuesday, “Can & Did—Graphics, Art, and Photography from the Obama Campaign,” and a print has already been bought by the Museum of Fine Art in Houston along with one of Fairey’s HOPE prints.

It’s nice to see that in this new era, everybody wins.

James Danziger was the Director of Photography at the London Sunday Times Magazine,  Features Editor of Vanity Fair,  and Director of Magnum New York. He runs the gallery Danziger Projects in New York and blogs at The Year in Pictures.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »
Thanks for the compliment, John and Chrissi!  I wish I looked as good in RL as I do in that icon.  ;D

I've been going crazy with this thing.  It's so much fun.  Lookit!

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »

Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »

Meryl, you are amazing. Beautiful, beautiful images. I have to try my hand again!

In the meanwhile, look who else is being an artist for the day!

(Ok, painting,  but it looks like Art to me!  ;D )

(Grâce à David for link to this link)

Obama visited the Sasha Bruce House Shelter in south-east Washington,
where he "took off his jacket, grabbed a paint roller and pitched in as workers were painting a wall."
Various Secret Service men stood around, getting in the way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/deadlineusa

Monday miscellany: Painting the town blue
Posted by Oliver Burkeman
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:32:45 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »

That is so brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:56 pm »
Thanks, John.  I loved Chrissi's "Brokie" and Paul's "Jake," too!  8)

Here's your bust ala Fairey:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »
What a great link. Thanks John!

Meryl, your picture is the best. John is right, you're a star! :)

Your Brokie text gave me an idea:

May I introduce: This is Brokie, Jude's cat.

These are all awesome, but especially this one!  ;)

Thanks Chrissi!

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »