Author Topic: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 37357 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2006, 10:22:28 pm »
Oops, sorry David.  :-\  I later realized the comment was directed to you.  LOL-yes we were pushing the button at the same time it seems.  ;)

~Larz

Like I said, it's cool! I was happy you could answer Andrew's question for him.

Anyway, we Indy guys need to stick together! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2006, 10:30:30 pm »
Andrew -

When you were learning about the instruments, did ISO come to your school with the instrument petting zoo?

I remember when I drew the bow across the A string on the violin for the first time, and the man helping me said "Hey, your good at  that!", I was hooked on the instrument.

Mom and Dad didn't want me to start the violin because I was already taking piano lessons. But I wouldn't back off. I nagged them...  and nagged them. Finally they gave in.

.....then came the cello! :)

moremojo

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »

Scott mentioned Debussy's Pelleas and Melisande.  I love what I think was the first recording of this, Roger Desormieres from 1940's France, with the wonderful Irene Joachim and Jacques Jansen.
Andrew, I've heard of this famous recording, but alas, have not actually heard the recording itself. I know it's highly regarded, and some have even cited it as the premier recording of this Debussy masterpiece.

I know the opera best through a videotaping of the 1999 staging at Glyndebourne, conducted by Andrew Davies, and featuring Christiane Oelze, Gwynne Howell, Jean Rigby, and Jake Arditti in the cast. Oelze (as Melisande) and Howell (as Arkel) were particularly outstanding, with Howell demonstrating his adroitness and depth as a singing actor. I'd recommend this production heartily, if one can allow for some liberties taken in the staging (the action is updated to the turn-of-the-century ambience of the opera's composition, but this is done quite intelligently and elegantly).

Cheers,
Scott

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2006, 11:06:03 pm »
Larz - I was only addressing David because I didn't know you were from the same city!  Kind of remarkable since for a time the three of us were the three people on the thread.  Thanks for the update.  My mom taught at School 82 at the end of the park and I went there through fourth grade.  Later I would take the longer walks to School 58 and to Howe High School.  I sure didn't know much of Indianapolis outside of my neighborhood, the main library downtown, and Butler University where I went for the clarinet lessons and the Symphony.

I know!  Small world isn't it, Andrew?  ;D  I was born at Methodist Hospital but lived in the country until I married at the age of 20.  I spent a lot of time near Central Library from the time I was 18 until I was 21.  I first attended college in the old church just across Meridian Street from the library and spent a bit of "ho time" in/around the library.  Ahhh, the memories!   ;)

Nice to meet you.   :)

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 11:21:26 pm »
I know!  Small world isn't it, Andrew?  ;D  I was born at Methodist Hospital but lived in the country until I married at the age of 20.  I spent a lot of time near Central Library from the time I was 18 until I was 21.  I first attended college in the old church just across Meridian Street from the library and spent a bit of "ho time" in/around the library.  Ahhh, the memories!   ;)

Nice to meet you.   :)

~Larz

LOL!! Did you hang out at the Library too? I use to go there at night before I could get into Talbott Street, the 21 Club, The Hunt and Chase (a lesbian bar but it was fun) and a few others!

The library was a riot! Those were good times. :)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 11:45:19 pm »
LOL!! Did you hang out at the Library too? I use to go there at night before I could get into Talbott Street, the 21 Club, The Hunt and Chase (a lesbian bar but it was fun) and a few others!

The library was a riot! Those were good times. :)

Yeah, I was trying to get frisked by the library policeman but he didn't cooperate!  LOL!  Uhm yeah - don't tell me you were the guy whispering in Dutch.   :laugh:  <--actually this guy kind of gives me the creeps.  Looks like a biter.

I was never in the Hunt and Chase, but used to go to another lesbian bar nearby.  I don't remember the name of it, but it was near H&C.  I was usually under the influence and only remember we entered from the west side of the building and parked beside the car wash just north of 12th (or 11th) Street.  What was that one called?  Was it H&C and I was too out of it to notice?  :o

LOL - one time I was lurking near the Scottish Rite Cathedral late at night and some guy tried to pick me up with his wife passed out drunk in the car!  Said he would put her to bed and we would continue the party.  That kinda freaked me out and I had some difficulty getting him out of my car.   *shudders*  It was a long time before I went "shopping" again. :-\

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:34 am »
Yeah, I was trying to get frisked by the library policeman but he didn't cooperate!  LOL!  Uhm yeah - don't tell me you were the guy whispering in Dutch.  
~Larz

Was I the guy whispering in Dutch? I might have been. Actually I did speak Dutch sometimes, but I only did it to frustrate everyone.  :) It was pretty funny though.

I was never in the Hunt and Chase, but used to go to another lesbian bar nearby.  I don't remember the name of it, but it was near H&C.  I was usually under the influence and only remember we entered from the west side of the building and parked beside the car wash just north of 12th (or 11th) Street.  What was that one called?  Was it H&C and I was too out of it to notice?  :o
~Larz

The Hunt and Chase was off of Pennsylvania St. It sat off to the side a little bit. I only went there a few times. I think I remember the bar on Washington Street, but I don't remember the name of it. Don't worry I will remember eventually. Was this like a gay bikers bar? A lot of  people dressed in leather? I only went in there a couple of times. Talbott Street was my main bar, and sometimes the 21 Club.. they were just a few doors down from each other, so we would often walk back and forth from one bar to the other all night.

LOL - one time I was lurking near the Scottish Rite Cathedral late at night and some guy tried to pick me up with his wife passed out drunk in the car!  Said he would put her to bed and we would continue the party.  That kinda freaked me out and I had some difficulty getting him out of my car.   *shudders*  It was a long time before I went "shopping" again. :-\

~Larz

YUCK! :P I know, downtown Indianapolis use to be a TRIP! :o It still is actually, although I rarely go downtown much anymore. My club days are over, I'm afraid!

But the days of dancing to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is still a very vivid memory for me. "It's Raining Men"  is another one! :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 12:07:36 am »
I love jazz fusion by such artists as Boney James, Marc Antoine, Fourplay.  I absolutely love Disco, 70's "bedroom" jazz as I call it, performed by such greats as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield.  I own a lot of R&B and even some blues by such artists as Etta James, John Lee Hooker.  I don't know if anyone mentioned Gospel, but I love gospel music, having been brought up listening to Shirley Caesar, Edwin Hawkins, Rance Allen, The Mississippi Mass Choir.  I even sang in a gospel choir as a teen.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2006, 12:17:10 am »
I love jazz fusion by such artists as Boney James, Marc Antoine, Fourplay.  I absolutely love Disco, 70's "bedroom" jazz as I call it, performed by such greats as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield.  I own a lot of R&B and even some blues by such artists as Etta James, John Lee Hooker.  I don't know if anyone mentioned Gospel, but I love gospel music, having been brought up listening to Shirley Caesar, Edwin Hawkins, Rance Allen, The Mississippi Mass Choir.  I even sang in a gospel choir as a teen.

Littlewing..

Oh, I love Gospel music too! Especially when the music is sung by large choirs. I love that sound... a lot of voices all singing together and practically raising the roof!  :)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2006, 12:21:21 am »
Was I the guy whispering in Dutch? I might have been.

Hehe - I was being facetious.   :P

I think I remember the bar on Washington Street, but I don't remember the name of it.

Uhm I wasn't thinking of a bar on Wash. It was between Penn and I think 12th on the South-west corner.  I'll have to ask Jacki.  I cut off my mullett (yeah-laugh it up!) after being there and noticing that only the girls wore their hair that way.  Also found that my wallet was smaller than a lot of theirs.   ::)

YUCK! :P I know, downtown Indianapolis use to be a TRIP! :o It still is actually, although I rarely go downtown much anymore. My club days are over, I'm afraid!
Tell me about it!  Yeah, same here - though it was fun when I was in my 20's and 30's!

But the days of dancing to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is still a very vivid memory for me. "It's Raining Men"  is another one! :)  

And the ever popular "Last Dance".  Ahhh good times!  

~Larz