Author Topic: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 37277 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2006, 11:30:45 pm »
Andrew, I've heard of this famous recording, but alas, have not actually heard the recording itself. I know it's highly regarded, and some have even cited it as the premier recording of this Debussy masterpiece.

I know the opera best through a videotaping of the 1999 staging at Glyndebourne, conducted by Andrew Davies, and featuring Christiane Oelze, Gwynne Howell, Jean Rigby, and Jake Arditti in the cast. Oelze (as Melisande) and Howell (as Arkel) were particularly outstanding, with Howell demonstrating his adroitness and depth as a singing actor. I'd recommend this production heartily, if one can allow for some liberties taken in the staging (the action is updated to the turn-of-the-century ambience of the opera's composition, but this is done quite intelligently and elegantly).

Cheers,
Scott

Scott,
I see Netflix carries the DVD of another performance of the same production of Pelleas you mentioned with many of the same artists.   You might be interested in it
too if you have not seen it. The one they have from Glyndebourne has Andrew Davis conducting, and Howell and Oelze, but with Richard Croft as Pelleas and John Tomlinson as Golaud.  Netflix is bad about getting performances of operas mixed up - their writeup for this DVD mentions artists from another performance they also carry, but you can see from the cover picture that they really carry this one.

I actually heard Davis conduct another opera at Glyndebourne, Die Schweigsame Frau of Richard Strauss.  He is a regular there.  My sister and brother-in-law knew his wife since she was a soprano from their town in South Carolina, and her mother and my brother-in-law were both on the music faculty of the same college there.

I can rent this DVD since I'm a Netflix member but sadly YOU can not rent a CD of the Desormiere performance of Pelleas, or any other music, from any rental company, because the music companies were successful in getting CD rental defined as a federal crime!  
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#109

So...I hope you have a chance to hear it sometime - legitimately, and with a sacrifice of hard-earned dollars...enough dollars to purchase it, in fact, not just enough to rent it...if you were allowed to rent.

It was just reissued on EMI Great Recordings of the Century, although this remastering of the 1941 recording has been criticized, at about $35.  Or if it happens to be your birthday or any equally auspicious day you can get a deluxe 4-CD edition which was issued in 2002 for the centenniel of the premiere in 1902.  It is from Andante and comes with a 300-page commemorative booklet (!) and extracts from a number of other early performances, for about $60.  In spite of the 1941 recorded sound, this performance does deserve such a lavish presentation.

It is an opera with many other great performances but to me Jansen and Joaquim just  ->are<-  Pelleas and Melisande - the way Jake and Heath ->are<- those two shepherds.  The scene when Melisande lets down her hair from the tower is really indescribable.  With his soft but suffused voice, Pelleas sings as if he is about to pass out from the sudden rush of ecstasy.  He is about to suffocate because the arhythmia of his heart has made him forget how to breathe.

It is odd to think of this opera's story and then think of Our Film.  Pelleas and Melisande are both lonely children who are overcome by their feelings for each other when they are thrown together, before they have a chance to raise their guard.  Melisande is married to Golaud as if without personal volition, only because she has no other family, the way Ennis is married to Alma. And Golaud knows no more of who she is than Alma knows of Ennis.   Pelleas like Jack is shown to have a loving mother (only briefly seen) and perhaps partly as a result feels secure enough to follow his impulses at great personal risk (I am thinking of the tower scene and Pelleas' last scene).  He is warned, but chooses to ignore the warning.  Melisande like Ennis lives by a hidden fear, branded by unspeakable experiences and a kind of exile she does not like to talk of.  She clings to Golaud and to social expectation without regard to what she might want herself, as Ennis does to Alma.  The desperate passionate kiss in both stories is extended as if in defiance of being seen, which it is by the spouse in both.  What is really remarkable is the offstage procession of the sheep, seen by a child, in Maeterlinck's play. It is hinted that they will be taken to the slaughterhouse, and this becomes a foreshadowing of the death of the hero...

...all of which only means that the Collective Unconscious, in its ceaseless infinite thrashings, can happen on some of the very same patterns that it hit on a century earlier halfway around the world, and that our brains are sometimes dimly made aware of such similarities across all the other obvious differences...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:15:10 am by Andrew »

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2006, 11:56:04 pm »
Littlewing..

Oh, I love Gospel music too! Especially when the music is sung by large choirs. I love that sound... a lot of voices all singing together and practically raising the roof!  :)

Oh yes, the bigger the choir the better.  I sang in a rather large youth mass choir and we really rocked the house!  Have you ever heard of Edwin Hawkins?  He is considered the father of modern gospel music and wrote, arranged and recorded Oh Happy Day in the late 60's.  He and my mom grew up in the same church in Berkeley. The gospel music scene in the Bay Area is very big!  I'll catch a gospel concert every now and then, especially McDonald's Gospel Fest!

moremojo

More on 'Pelleas et Melisande'
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2006, 09:38:42 am »

...all of which only means that the Collective Unconscious, in its ceaseless infinite thrashings, can happen on some of the very same patterns that it hit on a century earlier halfway around the world, and that our brains are sometimes dimly made aware of such similarities across all the other obvious differences...

Andrew,

Thank you for a most interesting, informative post. The Netflix version you describe sounds like the same production, as I know John Tomlinson was the Golaud there. And how cool is that to be just a few degrees in separation from Maestro Davis, not to mention having had the privilege of hearing him conduct live?

The late Susan Sontag suggested that Maeterlinck's strange, poetic drama is an allegory of child abuse, and I find this useful in approaching the work's odd, fractured-fairy tale symbolism. Melisande is certainly childlike in many ways, though Golaud insists on treating her as an adult woman, and arguably destroys her thereby. And the Glyndebourne production highlights the abusive undertone of Golaud's scene with Yniold.

Yniold here is played by a child singer, Jake Arditti, consistent with Debussy's original conception of how this role should be performed. I was pleased that the director retained the scene of Yniold seeing the sheep, as I understand that this moment is often excised in live productions due to staging difficulties. The scene here is conveyed cleverly and effectively. And isn't there indeed a surprising parallel here with Ennis coming across the eviscerated sheep on Brokeback?

Thanks again for all the information and musings.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2006, 07:53:43 pm »
Oh yes, the bigger the choir the better.  I sang in a rather large youth mass choir and we really rocked the house!  Have you ever heard of Edwin Hawkins?  He is considered the father of modern gospel music and wrote, arranged and recorded Oh Happy Day in the late 60's. 

Littlewing -

I am not familiar with this name, but I am certainly familiar with the song "Oh Happy Day". It's one of my favorites.

That's really neat your mother knew the man who wrote this song! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2006, 03:21:32 pm »
It all depends on my mood.  I like soft rock, pop, musical plays, and oldies.  Some country is okay as long as they are neutral.  Don't like it when they get too religious or preachy.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2006, 03:26:43 pm »
It all depends on my mood.  I like soft rock, pop, musical plays, and oldies.  Some country is okay as long as they are neutral.  Don't like it when they get too religious or preachy.

A little Lonestar, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley, Sara Evans, Trace Adkins or Dixie Chicks is always good!   :D

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2006, 03:42:59 pm »
Anyone heard of Dragonforce - a British group?  A Canadian IMDb friend highly recommends them. 

No procrastinating - I'll post a review as soon as I've heard them.  Just begun is half done.

David, Mary Poppins would be so proud of your siggy!

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »
Anyone heard of Dragonforce - a British group?  A Canadian IMDb friend highly recommends them. 
~Larz

I have never heard of them before. I will scan the Internet and check them out if they have any of their music posted.

David, Mary Poppins would be so proud of your siggy!

~Larz

Oh, thank ye,  thank ye! Mary Poppins is my hero! She can fly!

It's every gay man's dream.   ;)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2006, 04:02:59 pm »
I have never heard of them before. I will scan the Internet and check them out if they have any of their music posted.

I googled and they look like a hair band.  I like hair bands - but never tried one at the suggestion of an 18 year old before.  LOL

Oh, thank ye,  thank ye! Mary Poppins is my hero! She can fly!

It's every gay man's dream.   ;)

Of course - with the help of her trusty tortoise-head bumbershoot. It was a bit cheeky for my taste, but what can one expect of a tortoise-head bumbershoot. 

I always wanted to be a chimneysweep and dance and sing on rooftops with other hunky, smiling, soot-covered men. 

~Larz

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
I checked "Other" because there was no option for "All of the Above"  or "Good".
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.