Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 99005 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »
I voted for "With all due respect"  b/c it's almost always followed by something insulting. 

It's the same when someone says "I don't want to open up a can of worms, but...."  Well, of course they do.  They're about to do just that!   :-\

Irregardless is also a pet peeve.  And I would be perfectly happy to never again hear "think outside the box."

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
'Under the bus" gets my vote for the hackneyed expression of the election season, and "meme" became one of those words like "paradigm" and "meld" that are deployed to display intellectual-with-it-ism and seem to emerge from the ether into common usage rapidly enough to go from obscurity to majorly annoying in a couple of days. In fact there's another one--"out of the ether."

Isn't that one of those annoying performers who don't say a word?

;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:38 am »
Oh I just thought of another one! Brad made me think of it!

Whoopsie Daisies!

Yeah. That gets on my nerves! Hugh Grant said it once (and I'm a huge Hugh Grant fan) and even I wanted to box his ears for saying it! :laugh:

(Thank you Brad for voting!)

Kerry, You didn't vote either, and you started this poll! Go vote!! ;)

Haha - In Oz we say Whoopser Daisy, usually as an exclamation when, for example, someone trips and nearly falls over.  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:00 am »
None of them really irk me, though I remember when I was living in the UK and "at the end of the day" was the phrase du jour--I remember a hilarious interview with Geri Halliwell where she used it like, ten times, including "At then end of the day, in the morning..."
'Under the bus" gets my vote for the hackneyed expression of the election season, and "meme" became one of those words like "paradigm" and "meld" that are deployed to display intellectual-with-it-ism and seem to emerge from the ether into common usage rapidly enough to go from obscurity to majorly annoying in a couple of days. In fact there's another one--"out of the ether."

I'm familiar with "at the end of the day", "paradigm", "meld" and "out of the ether", but have never heard of "under the bus" and "meme". Can you give me examples of "under the bus" and "meme"? I'm curious.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 12:41:30 am »
I'm familiar with "at the end of the day", "paradigm", "meld" and "out of the ether", but have never heard of "under the bus" and "meme". Can you give me examples of "under the bus" and "meme"? I'm curious.  :)

Obama threw his grandmother under the bus..(he used her to deflect attention from himself)

think of a group of people traveling in a bus together...then one gets thrown off the bus and the bus runs over them...it is a betrayal, they thought they were one of you, that they were safe. It is not a good thing to do.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 12:45:49 am »
When I was back in England I used to hate the phrase, love as in shop assistants saying, will that be all love? I am not their love.

My kids had also started to say, like at the end of each sentence, as in you know like, always going up at the end. Grrrr.

I also hate corporate motivating phrases such as, there is no I in team, and let's make sure we are all singing from the same song sheet.!!!

Personally I really over use the word, really, and just. It was just so annoying and I really don't beleve.

Hundreds more but that will do for the time.

Are they fans of the Aussie soap, "Neighbours", Fiona? I understand an entire generation of British kids has acquired the unfortunate Australian habit of  putting an upward inflection at the end of every sentence, thanks to the popularity of "Neighbours" in the UK.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 12:48:58 am »

I looked 'meme' up awhile back because I was interested in how it came into common usage; the internet seems to be fertile ground for meme propagation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:51:45 am »
Obama threw his grandmother under the bus..(he used her to deflect attention from himself)

think of a group of people traveling in a bus together...then one gets thrown off the bus and the bus runs over them...it is a betrayal, they thought they were one of you, that they were safe. It is not a good thing to do.

I'm still not grasping exactly how that works, Jess.  ::)

Can you put "under the bus" in a sentence for me, so I can see it in situ? (Don't you just hate that expression "in situ"?!)

And "meme"?   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:51 am »
I'm still not grasping exactly how that works, Jess.  ::)

Can you put "under the bus" in a sentence for me, so I can see it in situ? (Don't you just hate that expression "in situ"?!)

And "meme"?   

I did!

"Obama threw his grandmother under the bus"

He was giving a speech about race and called her a racist...she was his grandmother and he took a cheap shot at her to save himself.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 01:01:08 am »
Don't get me started!  I have lots of language pet peeves.  Most involve bad grammar, but I think Kerry's thread is more about annoying, trite phrases.

My latest:  going forward.  Can't stand it.  I once heard an introductory speech by a colleague who used the phrase in every  sentence.  (He later resigned because of "health" problems, which turned out to be a sex scandal, but, no connection, I'm sure.  ::))

I'm with Jeff about modifying "unique".  Can't be done!

One more:  I could care less.  No!  Think about it...if you could care less, you could care less.  The real phrase is I couldn't care less.  As in, there is nothing about which I could care less. 

Spot on, Paul! Everyone is certainly very welcome to air their pet grammar, punctuation and syntax peeves, but my main aim here was to have a bit of a giggle together about "annoying, trite phrases" that we love to hate.  :D  
γνῶθι σεαυτόν