Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100627 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008, 04:10:46 am »
I've seen 'probably' contracted to 'prolly' in written fiction.  Makes me nuts. ::)

In the American Midwest, (and Indiana in particular) "probably" is often contracted to "prob'ly".

"He "prob'ly" got his just dues when his wife found out about his gambling problems".
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 03:36:11 pm »
MarieZ, word (sorry Lynne, heehee) on think outside the box.  I'm looking for a job right now, and run into these stupid job description cliches all the time! 

Such as:  "We're looking for a team player who can think outside the box and hit the ground running . . . etc. etc. etc."

Especially since if you think too far outside the box, they tend to assume you're not a team player.   ::)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 04:12:43 pm »
MarieZ, word (sorry Lynne, heehee) on think outside the box.  I'm looking for a job right now, and run into these stupid job description cliches all the time! 

Such as:  "We're looking for a team player who can think outside the box and hit the ground running . . . etc. etc. etc."

Especially since if you think too far outside the box, they tend to assume you're not a team player.   ::)

I remember once attending a course, where the emphasis was on being a team player.

During a break, I approached the facilitator and explained that I wasn't comfortable working in a team setting.

Her response? She said, "Imagine you're a team of one."

Yetch!  :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 04:29:54 pm »
I always laugh when I hear someone say:

"I don't mean/want to complain, but"

I want to say to them, "then don't".......Obviously you want to complain, so why preface it with that?  The same can be said "I'm sorry if I shouldn't say/do this" and then they say it or do it anyway.

:laugh:

One that truly annoys me is "conversate".  "You and I are gonna have to conversate."  I had someone say that to me, and I replied with...

"No, we can either converse about something, or we can have a conversation, but we can't "conversate."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 05:09:52 pm »

I want to say to them, "then don't".......Obviously you want to complain, so why preface it with that?  The same can be said "I'm sorry if I shouldn't say/do this" and then they say it or do it anyway.

:laugh:

One that truly annoys me is "conversate".  "You and I are gonna have to conversate."  I had someone say that to me, and I replied with...

"No, we can either converse about something, or we can have a conversation, but we can't "conversate."

The people who say "I don't want to be any trouble" usually are.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:47 pm »

Her response? She said, "Imagine you're a team of one."

;D ;D ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 11:57:52 pm »

And "I'm not a racist, but . . . . "   :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:42 am »
a team of one."

For some unfathomable reason, the United States Army has adopted the slogan, "An Army of One," in its recruiting ads.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:17 am »
I picked the same one as BrokebackDev but for different reasons: Shouldn't of

Is that as in  "I should not of done that?"   Obviously the correct way is "Shouldn't HAVE" .  It's amazing how many intelligent people substitute OF for HAVE, it's certainly rampant on the net.

English is not my first language and I know I often mangle my sentences but this OF business drives me NUTS!

I began to type shouldn't have because I do know thats the way to use proper english,  but thats how it was read so thats how I used it.  :)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:56 am »
Plus you've got to remember we use a lot of slang when speaking the american engilish language, so we tend to use it when we are writing informal things like IDK message boards!