Author Topic: When is it too early to put up your Christmas tree?  (Read 41291 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: When is it too early to put up your Christmas tree?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »
You guys are so lucky for your enthusiasm.  Me, I'm like, oy, do I have to do all that Christmas tree mishigas?

I know what you mean and feel somewhat the same way, Elle. Then I remember that's how my mom always felt -- for her, anything that was a bother wasn't worth doing at all -- and then she got Alzheimer's. Could be a coincidence, but ...

My concession to simplicity is to get a smallish one. Most years, we've had trees that brush the 10-foot ceilings of our house. Sometimes it was because our neighbor, a tree trimmer, cut them in the forest and ignored my request to bring us a small one. Other times, it was because the family went en masse to the tree lot and everybody insisted on a larger one, despite my protests. But it was almost impossible for incompetents like me and my husband to get them straight in the stand, keep them vertical, get the lights spread evenly, etc. Finally last year, we got a tree with a misshapen trunk, wrestled with it until it fell over with all the lights on it, my husband said "Fuck it!" and stormed out of the house. He, apparently, planned to skip the whole mishigas. Merry Christmas!

So the next day, I went by myself to the tree lot. I picked out a smallish tree, had the guys there put it in the stand straight and tie it onto the car that way. Got home, put it up all by myself, and the holiday was saved.

This year, I'll be putting up a tree sans husband.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »
We have a pre-lit tree.

Just unfold it, put in the stand, and bam!  You're done!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:53:52 pm »
We have a pre-lit tree.

Just unfold it, put in the stand, and bam!  You're done!

:laugh: Gotta love those Americans!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »
Anyone adding cards in their Christmas tree ?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
:laugh: Gotta love those Americans!

It's a very quick process!

You place the stand on the floor.  Hold the bottom half, so that the branches are all folded pointing upwards, and place the "trunk" in the stand, let go, and the branches fall into place.

Grab the middle half, hold it so that the branches are all folded pointing upwards, and place the "trunk" in the stand on top of the first section, let go, and the branches fall into place.

Grab the very top, and place it on top of the middle part.

Spread out the branches, and plug in.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:46 pm »
But that might scratch my derriere ? A bit !

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 03:09:09 pm »
Well, that "spread out the branches" part isn't necessarily easy.  If you have a tree you just bought that's been jammed in a box for God knows how long, it can be a little dicey.

I was very happy to find that all the little lights on my new tree lit up the first time I plugged the whole shootin' match in.  I *really* didn't want to go back to Sears, especially considering they told me mine was the last tree of the type and price I chose left.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 03:52:43 am »
You guys are so lucky for your enthusiasm.  Me, I'm like, oy, do I have to do all that Christmas tree mishigas?

I had a funny coincidence happen after I wrote this.  First off, I have no idea why I chose to use two Yiddish terms in the post - it just felt right.  But then a couple of hours later, I was hanging out with some homeschool buddies, and one friend, who is Jewish said, "My daughter really wants us to have a Christmas tree, and is annoyed that her father and I won't do it.  I wish we could go to someone's house and help them decorate their tree, and satisfy her that way."  I said, "You're welcome to come over and help us, that would be fun."  I didn't remember my BetterMost post while I was saying that.

I just read seriouscrayons's reply to my post, which reminded me I had used those Yiddishisms about decorating the tree.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:05:26 am »
I know what you mean and feel somewhat the same way, Elle. Then I remember that's how my mom always felt -- for her, anything that was a bother wasn't worth doing at all -- and then she got Alzheimer's. Could be a coincidence, but ...

This sounds eeriely familiar to me (once more). My mother was the same. And now also has dementia.
My parents never had a real tree because it was too much effort :P. And back in the 70s/80s the artificial trees were tiny and pathetic - thus my dislike of artificial trees.

This year, I'll be putting up a tree sans husband.

(((K))) :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:11:58 am »

I had a funny coincidence happen after I wrote this.  First off, I have no idea why I chose to use two Yiddish terms in the post - it just felt right.  But then a couple of hours later, I was hanging out with some homeschool buddies, and one friend, who is Jewish said, "My daughter really wants us to have a Christmas tree, and is annoyed that her father and I won't do it.  I wish we could go to someone's house and help them decorate their tree, and satisfy her that way."  I said, "You're welcome to come over and help us, that would be fun."  I didn't remember my BetterMost post while I was saying that.

I just read seriouscrayons's reply to my post, which reminded me I had used those Yiddishisms about decorating the tree.

Some say there is no such thing as coincidence... :)
I think this is cool 8). Bet you'll have a great time decoratin' together. :D Two birds with one stone.