Author Topic: A Prarie Home Companion~  (Read 5164 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: A Prarie Home Companion~
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »
Well I've seen it four times now  :laugh:, and bought the soundtrack with the bonus DVD.  :D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 12:59:01 pm »
I'll be seeing it again too, and buying the souindtrack, and points west.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:42:42 pm »
I just saw it yesterday, in fact.
Maybe it was bad case of high expectations, but I didn't love it.  I could watch Meryl Streep for hours and thought her performance was great.  I thought Kevin Kline's performance was dear and kind of an Otto (A Fish Called Wanda) redux, which cannot be a bad thing.  But I couldn't figure out the tone -- the slapstick wasn't funny enough; the ominous wasn't particularly ominous; the sad didn't reach me.  It was, in a way, as through the glass in the booth -- just didn't reach me.

I was annoyed by the audience, who seemed to confuse what was familiar with what was funny, and therefore laughed at everything.

I was also looking for a gimmick that didn't really happen -- I wanted the show to be in stricter real-time.  It almost was (it's a two-hour show), but there was no News from Lake Wobegon, and the reading of the letters was aborted, and not all that amusingly, and the sound-effects thing could have been really satisfying but wasn't.

But hooray for Robin and Linda Williams -- they rocked.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
p.s. I was scorching Dusty and Lefty with scrutiny.  You know, cowboys.  With guitars.  But they seemed really straight.  There seems to be more chemistry between Keillor and Russell.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 08:23:23 pm »
p.s. I was scorching Dusty and Lefty with scrutiny.  You know, cowboys.  With guitars.  But they seemed really straight.  There seems to be more chemistry between Keillor and Russell.

same here. These are not the Dusty and Lefty that I've come to love. To me, they were just two actors who told jokes.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 09:42:57 am »
Amen, Starbie.
HUP!