Author Topic: How Did Ennis Vote?  (Read 11146 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: How Did Ennis Vote?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 07:40:47 am »
      There is an opinion that I can share, since I am closest in age to Jack and Ennis probably. 
I first registered to vote and voted in the 60's.  I registered Republican, because I didnt really
know about the difference that much.  I changed my party affiliation however before I voted for
President the first time.  Because of Calif at the time having a six week registration period required
before election date.  I didnt get to vote for JFK whom I had worked and prayed for his election.
  I was one week too young to do that.  But I can say that the Republican party and the democratic
party were almost completely different then from what they are these days.  There was no talk at all of a gay agendas on either
of the national parties.  They were both pretty conservative religiously, but not near so strident and
open in their right wing agendas.  That pretty much started during the Bob Dole, Newt Gingrich
era.  They were the forerunners of the religious, right wing nut section and division of the parties.
Before that it was only the occasional wing nut in congress like the infamous McCarthy, or his
ilk. 
   But the country was pretty conservative financially and militarily.  Eisenhower was a typical
type American.  He too was a financial conservative, as was Reagan, and all the Republicans that
I have remembered in office.  Ford being the only one of the Republican Presidents that were
more or less centerest.
     I still think that the national parties will only cover the gay issues, when they are drug along
on that road.  I do not see them as leading the way.  Even though some of their candidates
themselves, such as Mr Obama may secretly agree with them, they are worried about the loss
of their base.  If they lose the people they need to elect them.  Then wont be able to get
anything done.  I think they tend to be politically pragmatic.  Its an unfortunate part of the
job of getting elected.
thanks for an interesting post