Author Topic: The Dark Knight to be re-released in January  (Read 16823 times)

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
The Dark Knight to be re-released in January
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:40:46 pm »
Dark Knight to get US re-release

The late Heath Ledger played the villainous Joker in the film
Batman film The Dark Knight is to be re-released in US cinemas in January, upping its chances of its box-office takings crossing the $1 billion mark.
According to the tracking website Box Office Mojo, its current worldwide takings stand at $996m (£678m).
Meanwhile, the British star of the film has been commenting on its chances of winning Academy Awards next year.
According to Christian Bale, the late Heath Ledger and director Christopher Nolan should be in contention.
"The serious contenders in this movie in my mind are Heath, Chris for director because he's done an extraordinary job, and I do believe best picture as well," said Bale on Wednesday.
Announcement
Released in cinemas in July, The Dark Knight is the most financially successful film of 2008 at the North American box office.
Its re-release on 23 January will come one day after the announcement of this year's Oscar nominations.
It also follows the film's DVD release in the UK and US next week.
"We wanted to provide one more opportunity for moviegoers to experience it on the big screen as it was meant to be seen," said Dan Fellman, president of Warner Brothers' domestic distribution in the US.
Only three films have grossed more than $1bn worldwide - Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and The Return of the King, the third Lord of the Rings film.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7767109.stm

I, for one, I am very excited this is going to be re-released. Even though I already have the DVD pre-ordered (December 9!), I've been dying for the chance to watch it on the big screen one more time. It's truly the kind of movie meant to be watched in a theater. The only problem is the date, January 23, just hope i won't get too choked up watching it. It's hard to enjoy a movie with tears stinging your eyes.... :'(

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Marge_Innavera

Re: The Dark Knight to be re-released in January
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:30:06 pm »
I, for one, I am very excited this is going to be re-released. Even though I already have the DVD pre-ordered (December 9!), I've been dying for the chance to watch it on the big screen one more time. It's truly the kind of movie meant to be watched in a theater. The only problem is the date, January 23, just hope i won't get too choked up watching it. It's hard to enjoy a movie with tears stinging your eyes.... :'(

I saw that same article yesterday and it said that the Oscar nominations might be announced on the 22nd.   :(  Between this and the Inauguration, it should be a very emotional week.

And I have the DVD on my Christmas list.....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 04:13:36 pm »
I didn't know Christian Bale was British! I think that's an error... I would enjoy seeing it again on an Imax screen this time. I met the cinematographer, Wally Pfizer, recently, and learned a lot about the way the film was shot.

I don't think the movie is a contender for Best Picture though because there are just too many plot problems. Great acting, especially from our Heath (how will we be able to get through the death scene?) as well as Aaron Eckhart. Sorry I didn't think Bale's or Gyllenhaal's performances were very stellar.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:29:34 pm »

Im not 100% certain, but yes I do believe Christian Bale is British.  I think the acting of
Heath was absolutely stellar.  He is the very embodiment of the Joker.  Physcally and actually, he
needs to win the award.  He was such a consumate actor, using his mind and his physicality.  I have
seen most of the movies, that are going to be nominated this year, and over all that one was the most enjoyable, after it is over.  It had something for everyone.  All movies dont have to be another BBM.  They can just be for pure enjoyment.  That is my opinion, I know its not popular these days
because maybe its not cool enough to think that way...But there you are.

Beautiful mind

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »
Christian Bale is Welsh.  (making his official nationality British, if I understand correctly)

Strange that they're re-releasing it to theatres after the Oscar nominations.  (It's not like it's a People's Choice kind of thing, where it needs to be fresh in the public's mind before the awards . . . )

In any case, I'm positive Heath will win the Oscar.

For what it's worth...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:50:43 pm »
yup hes british
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:56 am »

I sure pray you are right Laura.  He definitely deserves it.

Beautiful mind

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 01:37:57 pm »
I saw that Philip Seymour Hoffman has been nominated for supporting actor at the Golden Globes, as well as Heath. Funny how it all comes full circle. Wasn't it Philip Seymour Hoffman's Capote who beat out Heath at the Golden Globes, as well as the Oscars. Hmm... Not that I take those award shows seriously. I'm just quite curious to see if this time Heath will beat Hoffman in Doubt. I haven't seen the movie yet, looks very good but.... a girl can hope, can't she?

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 03:06:22 pm »
[tdK] had something for everyone.  All movies dont have to be another BBM.  They can just be for pure enjoyment.  That is my opinion, I know its not popular these days

Agree with that -- and IMO, the fact that Heath could turn in such unforgettable performances in two so very different movies is a tribute to his acting and to his understanding of the characters he played.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »
All movies dont have to be another BBM.  They can just be for pure enjoyment.  That is my opinion, I know its not popular these days
I don´t think that is an unorthodox opinion exactly. 
I think we all watch movies of different reasons depending on our mood. Sometimes we just want to be entertained, and then we really don´t care if the story has a message or not etc.