Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298824 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2006, 04:23:44 am »
one mentioned that poem, and all said they knew it, and one said it was written by a man to another man...them days is gone forever...sort of

Julie,

"O,  that blue, blue shirt of yours!" is coming from the a poem in Shi Jing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Poetry). Shi Jing is the first major collection of Chinese poems and most of them were written 2,500 years ago. There are a lot of beautifully written poems in that collection.  Seeing you quoted the poem in your signature line reminded me of the poem and got me all nostalgic thinking back the time that I read those poems, almost like in another life. :)

青青子衿 (O,  that blue, blue shirt of yours),悠悠我心。纵我不往,子宁不嗣音?  This is the first few sentences in the poem.  (The complete poem and its translation is here http://afpc.asso.fr/wengu/wg/wengu.php?l=Shijing&no=91. )  It's a love poem from a woman's perspective about how she missed her lover.

I was actually very surprised to know that someone said it was written by a man to another man.  So I did some research.  It turned out that Cao Cao (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao, a great warlord around 200 AD) used the first sentence "青青子衿,悠悠我心" in one of his poem, "青青子衿,悠悠我心。但为君故,沈吟至今。"  He used it in the poem to descript his eagerness and longing to get to know some of the talent people at that time and enlist their help.  Most of those people were scholars or sages and wore cloth with blue collar.  This was why he cited the ancient poem.  So the mystery is solved, and I thank you for mentioning this so I get to learn this fascinating story.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2006, 02:10:22 pm »
Leslie--I have NOT read chapter 9--boy are you cranking 'em out! So I have to do that before I work on my own...please read and answer my e-mail..as I say: there may be no point in "working" on it...

I'll get around to the yellow-haired Lureen sometime today..I've wrecked my Oscar promo book, scanning all the pictures, so I ordered another one,. which wioll never. never be mishandled...hahahaha!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2006, 04:13:27 pm »
Leslie,

I was happily surprised as I expected to wait for a week for this chapter.   :)

“An unspoken vow traveled between their eyes”, yummy I like that. The part of Ennis and Jack bought each other the ring is very sweet. Ennis sure emotionally matured a great deal.

Just curious, how many chapters you are planning for this story?  Have you already planed out your chapters to the end or you just go wherever your heart takes you?  Since now you have a large fun based (and in Germany too), do you want to set any expectations?

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2006, 06:21:24 pm »
Leslie, like i said on fanfiction, it's great, the suburn without cancer, the lack of Vietnam vets, and the exchange of..whoops, don't want to spoil anything...

Wish I could write a nice CHEERFUL story, and stop subjecting you to my...creepy stuff! Especially since sending stuff e-mail is becoming an imposibility...thanks so much fior your help. LATEST CORRECTION SHOULD BE THERE BY NOW..

i know YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING, AND i HAVE TO GO NOW TOO...

Also, what;'s with fanfiction wanting me to wait 3 days? What are they "investigating"?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2006, 12:47:26 pm »
Aaaah, I just read chapter 8, and now 9's up.  Will read it Wed night.  Leslie, thank you for this story.  I am loving it!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2006, 01:28:40 pm »
Aaaah, I just read chapter 8, and now 9's up.  Will read it Wed night.  Leslie, thank you for this story.  I am loving it!

Thank you, Eric...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2006, 01:29:44 pm »

Just curious, how many chapters you are planning for this story?  Have you already planed out your chapters to the end or you just go wherever your heart takes you?  Since now you have a large fun based (and in Germany too), do you want to set any expectations?

I am using my author's perogative to keep that info to myself...hope you understand...
Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:46 pm »
I am using my author's perogative to keep that info to myself...hope you understand...
Leslie

Of course I do.  Just thought I may fish some answer from you. :)  We will go wherever you take us.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2006, 01:47:58 pm »
Leslie

Of course I do.  Just thought I may fish some answer from you. :)  We will go wherever you take us.

Ain't no reins on this one...  ;)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2006, 01:08:46 am »
Just read chapter 9, and I'm almost in tears!  This is such a beautiful story Leslie.  I get such a high reading it, probably because it's an exact 360 from the movie.  I know the happy times can't last forever (or can they?), but for now, I'm loving it!  Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-*