Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298923 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Brokies in Dallas -- need some info
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2006, 04:56:43 pm »
Fish closed a couple of years ago.   :-\

That's a shame. I had one of the best meals of my life there.
Like Delluvia said, the closest to downtown was the Magnolia Theater in the West Village.  They have a website http://www.landmarktheaters.com/market/Dallas/TheMagnolia.htm  You could email them for the showtimes.  I know it was playing all day at first, and towards the end of the run, just late afternoon and night.  I saw it both times at the Magnolia. 

I think it also played at the AMC Grand after wide release.  In December, there were only a handful of theaters showing it.

Hope this helps,
Pat Sinnott

So, if someone were to see it at the Magnolia, can you give me the name of a nice restaurant nearby where they might have dinner before or after the show? And recommend a good dish? And then I need the name of a hotel nearby too...something nice. Not the Motel 6.

Thanks in advance,
Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2006, 07:57:52 pm »
That's a shame. I had one of the best meals of my life there.
So, if someone were to see it at the Magnolia, can you give me the name of a nice restaurant nearby where they might have dinner before or after the show? And recommend a good dish? And then I need the name of a hotel nearby too...something nice. Not the Motel 6.

Thanks in advance,
Leslie

Right across the street from the Magnolia theater is Mi Cocina, a yupscale but still casual Mexican food place and it was my first thought to eat there when I and my friends got out of the showing.

I've never eaten there though   :( so I can't recommend anything or even know the dishes they serve there.

And a nice nice hotel, Dallas landmark is the Adolphus http://www.hoteladolphus.com/ it's downtown and within it is the best - and most expensive - restaurant I've ever eaten in -  The French Room which is a nationally recognized restaurant.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:02:07 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2006, 07:59:27 pm »
yupscale :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2006, 08:02:42 pm »
yupscale :)

Heh, you understand the word without my having to explain.  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2006, 06:26:52 am »
I still need an answer....if someone ate at Mi Cocina, saw the movie at the Magnolia, and stayed at the Aldophus, could that person get to all three places on foot?

Thanks

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2006, 07:16:50 am »
Okay, so I just went and read a couple of reviews of Mi Cocina and it is not quite the type of restaurant I had in mind. Is there something a bit more sedate in the neighborhood? Or maybe a steakhouse?

The Magnolia sounds nice, though. I can use that. Also still wondering about a hotel.

L

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2006, 12:18:35 pm »
Okay, so I just went and read a couple of reviews of Mi Cocina and it is not quite the type of restaurant I had in mind. Is there something a bit more sedate in the neighborhood? Or maybe a steakhouse?

The Magnolia sounds nice, though. I can use that. Also still wondering about a hotel.

L

Hiya,

OK, when you say 'sedate', what exactly do you mean?

So you want to be able to walk to the restaurant, theater and hotel?

I wanna tell you that Dallas isn't a walking town.  How far is too far to walk?  There are several great restaurants near the Magnolia, if you don't like those in the West Village, the rest are like .25 to 1/2 mile walk.  The Adolphus is like 4 miles away as the crow flies.

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2006, 01:47:47 pm »
Would this help you in any way?  Or this?

Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2006, 07:53:27 pm »
No you could not walk.  There is no hotel close enough to the Magnolia to walk. You could take the trolley, it goes right past the West Village and it stops in front of the Fairmount downtown, so you could walk and take the McKinney Avenue Trolley to get downtown to the Fairmount Hotel. There is a nice steak house within walking distance of the Magnolia Theater called Texas Land & Cattle, at the corner of Cole and Lemmon.

If you wanted a theater, restaurant and hotel within walking distance of each other, you'd have to go to Northpark.  The Bradford Hotel is across the street. Another nice feature of Northpark, there is a shuttle that will take you to the DART rail station.

Hope this helps!! ::)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:55:39 pm by PatSinnott »
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2006, 08:47:16 pm »
No you could not walk.  There is no hotel close enough to the Magnolia to walk. You could take the trolley, it goes right past the West Village and it stops in front of the Fairmount downtown, so you could walk and take the McKinney Avenue Trolley to get downtown to the Fairmount Hotel. There is a nice steak house within walking distance of the Magnolia Theater called Texas Land & Cattle, at the corner of Cole and Lemmon.

If you wanted a theater, restaurant and hotel within walking distance of each other, you'd have to go to Northpark.  The Bradford Hotel is across the street. Another nice feature of Northpark, there is a shuttle that will take you to the DART rail station. Hope this helps!! ::)

But I don't think the Northpark theaters were even open this last winter when BBM was showing.  I think they opened this spring.