Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298846 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2006, 07:19:38 am »
A second drabble--the prompt, "going to the post office." Okay, so this isn't the post office, but it has to do with the mail. Still Jack and Ennis at the Lazy L. 242 words.
----------------------------------

Ennis came into the kitchen, the mail in his hand. “You got a post card, Jack,” he said.

Jack wiped his hands on a towel, taking the card from Ennis. “Me?” he said. “Who’s writin’ me?” But before Ennis could answer, Jack was reading the card.

July 28, 1976
Dear Uncle Jack:

Thank you again for a wonderful visit. I had so much fun at the Lazy L and it was great to get to know you. It was great to see my daddy so happy, too. I miss you, Uncle Jack, and can’t wait for our next visit.

Love,
Junior

He looked at Ennis, smiling. “That’s sweet, huh?” he said. “A thank you note.”

Ennis nodded. “Nice polite girl, that Junior,” he said. “Knows her manners.”

Jack looked at him. “She had t’get it from somebody,” he said.

“Whaddya mean?” asked Ennis.

“Yer always sayin’ you were a lousy husband and mediocre father. The lousy husband part I can see, but I’m not so sure I agree with the mediocre father. Ain’t nothin’ mediocre ‘bout the fatherin’ job ya did while Junior and Jenny were visitin’.”

Ennis thought about that for a minute, then looked at Jack. “Understandin’ love is makin’ a difference,” he said. “Lovin’ you is makin’ me a better father t’them.” He pulled Jack in  for a kiss. “I love you, cowboy,” he said, softly.

“And I love you too,” said Jack, his words lost in Ennis’s lips.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:11 am »
 :)  Love them Leslie!

Where is Billy Jarrett?    ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Epilogue 2006
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2006, 08:07:15 am »
And a third. The prompt, "A conversation at dinner." This is for fun, the conversation they had the night that Jack made the famous "Crab Mongol." Enjoy...
-------------------------

Ennis sat down at the table, looking at the serving dishes in front of him. He had had a long day of painting the house, it had been hot, he was tired, and he was hungry.

“What are we havin’ tonight, Jack?” he asked.

“Somethin’ new that I found in my cookbook,” Jack replied. “It’s called ‘Crab Mongol.””

“Hmm,” said Ennis, serving himself some rice, then spooning the Mongol on top. He pushed his fork around in the mixture, trying to figure out exactly what it was. The color was odd, he thought, never saw food that was such an unusual shade of … gray.

He took a bite and moved the food around in his mouth and as he swallowed, he realized it was the worst thing he had ever tasted. It was all he could do not to spit it out on the plate.

Ennis looked at Jack, trying to gauge his reaction. Jack had a strained look on his face.

“What’s in this, anyway?” asked Ennis.

“Um, a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab.”

Ennis looked at him. “Yer fuckin’ kiddin’ me, right?” he said.

Jack looked at him, puzzled. “No, that was the recipe.”

“Jack, I don’t even know how to fuckin’ cook, and I could tell you that anything with a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab is gonna taste like shit. And this does. What were you thinkin’?”

“I was thinkin’ it sounded easy,” said Jack, with a sheepish look on his face.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #373 on: June 23, 2006, 08:08:18 am »
And a third. The prompt, "A conversation at dinner." This is for fun, the conversation they had the night that Jack made the famous "Crab Mongol." Enjoy...
-------------------------

Ennis sat down at the table, looking at the serving dishes in front of him. He had had a long day of painting the house, it had been hot, he was tired, and he was hungry.

“What are we havin’ tonight, Jack?” he asked.

“Somethin’ new that I found in my cookbook,” Jack replied. “It’s called ‘Crab Mongol.””

“Hmm,” said Ennis, serving himself some rice, then spooning the Mongol on top. He pushed his fork around in the mixture, trying to figure out exactly what it was. The color was odd, he thought, never saw food that was such an unusual shade of … gray.

He took a bite and moved the food around in his mouth and as he swallowed, he realized it was the worst thing he had ever tasted. It was all he could do not to spit it out on the plate.

Ennis looked at Jack, trying to gauge his reaction. Jack had a strained look on his face.

“What’s in this, anyway?” asked Ennis.

“Um, a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab.”

Ennis looked at him. “Yer fuckin’ kiddin’ me, right?” he said.

Jack looked at him, puzzled. “No, that was the recipe.”

“Jack, I don’t even know how to fuckin’ cook, and I could tell you that anything with a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab is gonna taste like shit. And this does. What were you thinkin’?”

“I was thinkin’ it sounded easy,” said Jack, with a sheepish look on his face.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2006, 08:09:23 am »
:)  Love them Leslie!

Where is Billy Jarrett?    ;D

Um, Billy hasn't answered Ennis's email yet, from the other day...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2006, 10:30:12 am »
Jack and Ennis, still at the Lazy L, this one in response to a "buying a car" prompt. 244 words.

----------------------------

“Y’know, cowboy, yer gonna be driving back and forth t’Riverton, four or five times a year t’pick up the girls, we might wanna think ‘bout buyin’ a car.”

“A car,” said Ennis. “I ain’t ever owned a car.”

“Yeah, well,” said Jack, “I think it’s a damned sight more comfortable for Jenny and Junior to have a back seat, not be squished three across in the front seat of a truck. Besides,” he added, “we have a car, I might be able t’go with ya too, help with the drivin.’”

Ennis thought about this for a minute. What Jack said made sense. “Okay, then,” he said. “What kinda car? And don’t suggest no fuckin’ Cadillac, I hate those flashy pieces o’shit.”

Jack smiled to himself. He never cared for Lureen’s red Cadillac, either. He thought about cars he had seen on the road. “We could get a station wagon,” he said.

Ennis frowned. “Station wagon? Too fuckin’ domestic,” he said.

Jack laughed. “Okay, how ‘bout a Corvette.”

Ennis looked at him, incredulous. “Last time I looked, cowboy,” he said, “Corvettes only had two seats.”

“How ‘bout a Ford Pinto?” said Jack, with a small smile.

“A Ford Pinto?” said Ennis. “Are you nuts? That’s a little matchbox piece o’shit. Not sure my legs could even fit in a fuckin’ Ford Pinto. Why are ya even suggestin’ this?” he asked.

“’Cause it’s named after a horse?” said Jack, giving Ennis a poke in the ribs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:35:12 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #376 on: June 23, 2006, 10:30:55 am »
Jack and Ennis, still at the Lazy L, this on in response to a "buying a car" prompt. 244 words.

----------------------------

“Y’know, cowboy, yer gonna be driving back and forth t’Riverton, four or five times a year t’pick up the girls, we might wanna think ‘bout buyin’ a car.”

“A car,” said Ennis. “I ain’t ever owned a car.”

“Yeah, well,” said Jack, “I think it’s a damned sight more comfortable for Jenny and Junior to have a back seat, not be squished three across in the front seat of a truck. Besides,” he added, “we have a car, I might be able t’go with ya too, help with the drivin.’”

Ennis thought about this for a minute. What Jack said made sense. “Okay, then,” he said. “What kinda car? And don’t suggest no fuckin’ Cadillac, I hate those flashy pieces o’shit.”

Jack smiled to himself. He never cared for Lureen’s red Cadillac, either. He thought about cars he had seen on the road. “We could get a station wagon,” he said.

Ennis frowned. “Station wagon? Too fuckin’ domestic,” he said.

Jack laughed. “Okay, how ‘bout a Corvette.”

Ennis looked at him, incredulous. “Last time I looked, cowboy,” he said, “Corvettes only had two seats.”

“How ‘bout a Ford Pinto?” said Jack, with a small smile.

“A Ford Pinto?” said Ennis. “Are you nuts? That’s a little matchbox piece o’shit. Not sure my legs could even fit in a fuckin’ Ford Pinto. Why are ya even suggestin’ this?” he asked.

“’Cause it’s named after a horse?” said Jack, giving Ennis a poke in the ribs.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #377 on: June 23, 2006, 10:33:59 am »
Jack and Ennis, at the Lazy L, a few days after their visit to the Lubbock Furniture Store. 232 words. The prompt this time was "something to do with furniture."

--------------------------

“Jack,” said Ennis, “did ya happen t’notice at the furniture store the other day, there was a real nice livin’ room set?”

“There was ‘bout a dozen livin’ room sets,” said Jack. “Which one ya talkin’ ‘bout?”

“The one with the leather stuff,” said Ennis. “There was a brown leather couch, and a big club chair with a foot stool…”

“Ottoman,” said Jack, interrupting.

“What?” said Ennis, not understanding.

Jack looked at him. “I think that’s what it’s called—an ottoman, not a foot stool.”

“Whatever,” said Ennis, shrugging. “It was a nice lookin’ set. I kept lookin’ at that leather couch, picturin’ you lyin’ on yer back, yer black hair, yer white skin on the leather…picturin’ me puttin’ my cock up yer ass, yer legs in the air, you moanin’ in pleasure, hands rubbin’ smooth against that big leather couch…”

“You were thinkin’ this in the furniture store?” said Jack. “I didn’t notice.”

“You didn’t notice the big ol’ hard on I had?” said Ennis. “That’s why I kept shiftin’ in the chair the whole time yer ol’boyfriend Ray was talkin’ ‘bout Dr. Fucker.”

Jack shook his head. “Ya hid it well, cowboy, but I wish ya had told me.”

“Why?” said Ennis.

“I woulda bought ya the couch along with the bed.”

“Can we go back?” said Ennis, with a small smile.

“Ya doin’ anythin’ this afternoon?” Jack replied, with a wink.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2006, 10:34:49 am »
Jack and Ennis, at the Lazy L, a few days after their visit to the Lubbock Furniture Store. 232 words. The prompt this time was "something to do with furniture."

--------------------------

“Jack,” said Ennis, “did ya happen t’notice at the furniture store the other day, there was a real nice livin’ room set?”

“There was ‘bout a dozen livin’ room sets,” said Jack. “Which one ya talkin’ ‘bout?”

“The one with the leather stuff,” said Ennis. “There was a brown leather couch, and a big club chair with a foot stool…”

“Ottoman,” said Jack, interrupting.

“What?” said Ennis, not understanding.

Jack looked at him. “I think that’s what it’s called—an ottoman, not a foot stool.”

“Whatever,” said Ennis, shrugging. “It was a nice lookin’ set. I kept lookin’ at that leather couch, picturin’ you lyin’ on yer back, yer black hair, yer white skin on the leather…picturin’ me puttin’ my cock up yer ass, yer legs in the air, you moanin’ in pleasure, hands rubbin’ smooth against that big leather couch…”

“You were thinkin’ this in the furniture store?” said Jack. “I didn’t notice.”

“You didn’t notice the big ol’ hard on I had?” said Ennis. “That’s why I kept shiftin’ in the chair the whole time yer ol’boyfriend Ray was talkin’ ‘bout Dr. Fucker.”

Jack shook his head. “Ya hid it well, cowboy, but I wish ya had told me.”

“Why?” said Ennis.

“I woulda bought ya the couch along with the bed.”

“Can we go back?” said Ennis, with a small smile.

“Ya doin’ anythin’ this afternoon?” Jack replied, with a wink.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Drabbles Added
« Reply #379 on: June 23, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
Nothing like leather furniture to make a room complete...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:33:49 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters