Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298841 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Jenny's Picture!
« Reply #390 on: June 25, 2006, 04:50:47 pm »
At long last, I was able to get a scan of the picture that Jenny drew of Jack & Ennis! Click for a larger view...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: A New car for Jack and Ennis
« Reply #391 on: June 25, 2006, 10:56:43 pm »
David--
Thanks for this great analysis! I should have talked to you about this. LOL And your last few lines...an aspiring fanfic writer, hmmm?

It must have rubbed off from you Leslie!
   :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Epilogue 2006
« Reply #392 on: June 25, 2006, 11:18:05 pm »
Jack and Ennis, at the Lazy L, a few days after their visit to the Lubbock Furniture Store. 232 words. The prompt this time was "something to do with furniture."

--------------------------

N-I-C-E!!  ;D

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2006, 08:01:49 am »
I remember when my daughter was in Germany in the late seventies, she told me that the cars in Europe were small and the people there thought our cars were gunboats.  I thought that wasn't so, but it was and the car David picked for them to buy is enormous.  But at the time, I don't think anyone thought so and even Ennis would go along with it.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #394 on: June 26, 2006, 06:39:16 pm »
That is pretty nice--maybe your 14-year-old daughter doesn;'t remember how well she could draw when she was 10, though. As I remember, it was the HIEGHT of my drawing ability. Anway, it's pretty sweet, it is..
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: all threads now merged here
« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2006, 07:36:59 am »
I am trying, so far unsuccessfully, to find a picture of the farmhouse at the Lazy L. If folks remember, it was built in 1896. Tom described it as Queen Anne style although it would not be nearly as ornate as the Queen Anne style homes found in cities. This is also smaller, a country farmhouse. Porch across the front but not wrapround. When you come in the house, the stair are in front of  you, living room to the left, dining room to the right. The kitchen runs along the back and you can get to it from either the living room or dining room. Upstairs, three bedrooms and the bathroom. Originally there were four bedrooms but one got converted to a bathroom when they got plumbing and electricity.

Some might see it as a variation on Queen Anne/Stick.

The house was actually bought from Sears. They bought it through the catalog, the pieces arrived on the train. Early pre-fab! Hal's father built it.

Much of my mental picture of the house comes from one I saw at the Ranching Heritage Museum in Lubbock, TX a few years ago. That same trip, I saw the Buddy Holly statue, too.

If anyone has any possible house pictures, please share.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2006, 07:54:40 am »
Another little drabble, this one inspired by my own outdoor shower. 253 words. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“Jack,” said Ennis, “remember that cottage we rented up in Maine?”

“Course, I do,” said Jack. “That was a great vacation.”

“I was just thinkin’,” said Ennis, “how much I loved that outdoor shower.” He turned to Jack, his face serious. “Mebbe we could build an outdoor shower.”

Jack looked at him with a disbelieving smirk. “Build us an outdoor shower? What are you, fuckin’ nuts, Ennis?”

“Why do you say that?" said Ennis, hurt. “Why is buildin’ a shower nuts?”

“Ennis,” said Jack, his voice patient. “You liked that outdoor shower ‘cause it had a view of the ocean. We ain’t got a view like that here, what would be the point?”

“I liked the shower,” said Ennis, his voice equally patient, “’’cause I liked communin’ with nature. Wasn’t just the ocean, if you fuckin’ want to know.” He paused for a minute. “We could build it on the east side of the house, watch the sun come up.”

Jack looked at him, exasperated. “Just stick a fuckin’ shower on the east side of the house? Ruin the fuckin’ view from the livin’ room window? No. Besides, there ain’t no plumbing on that side of the house.”

“Fine then,” said Ennis. “I’ll build my own fuckin’ shower down at the barn. And you won’t be allowed to use it,” he added, sticking out his tongue at Jack.

“You really think,” said Jack, with an evil grin, “that if yer in a fuckin’ outdoor shower you are gonna keep me out of it?”

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:10:14 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2006, 07:56:16 am »
Another little drabble, this one inspired by my own outdoor shower. 253 words. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“Jack,” said Ennis, “remember that cottage we rented up in Maine?”

“Course, I do,” said Jack. “That was a great vacation.”

“I was just thinkin’,” said Ennis, “how much I loved that outdoor shower.” He turned to Jack, his face serious. “Mebbe we could build an outdoor shower.”

Jack looked at him with a disbelieving smirk. “Build us an outdoor shower? What are you, fuckin’ nuts, Ennis?”

“Why do you say that?" said Ennis, hurt. “Why is buildin’ a shower nuts?”

“Ennis,” said Jack, his voice patient. “You liked that outdoor shower ‘cause it had a view of the ocean. We ain’t got a view like that here, what would be the point?”

“I liked the shower,” said Ennis, his voice equally patient, “’’cause I liked communin’ with nature. Wasn’t just the ocean, if you fuckin’ want to know.” He paused for a minute. “We could build it on the east side of the house, watch the sun come up.”

Jack looked at him, exasperated. “Just stick a fuckin’ shower on the east side of the house? Ruin the fuckin’ view from the livin’ room window? No. Besides, there ain’t no plumbing on that side of the house.”

“Fine then,” said Ennis. “I’ll build my own fuckin’ shower down at the barn. And you won’t be allowed to use it,” he added, sticking out his tongue at Jack.

“You really think,” said Jack, with an evil grin, “that if yer in a fuckin’ outdoor shower you are gonna keep me out of it?”

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:16:05 am by MaineWriter »

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #398 on: June 27, 2006, 08:12:25 am »
Leslie, thats brilliant.  Love it.  I can just imagine it too...................... I feel all overcome now.  Do you know how many cold showers I,ve have to take because of you?  ::)  Oh and I hope you dont mind but I thought of another one you could do.(I thought of this with an evil grin on my face btw). ;) ;)  How about one with them playing with their new toys? I mean, when you get new toys, you HAVE to play with them dont you?  ;) ;)  You see whats happening here Leslie?  I,m starting to think like you now!! tsk tsk.  shamefull thoughts I keep having.   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) 
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #399 on: June 27, 2006, 10:06:07 am »

MaineWriter and her fan fiction "A Love Born from Steel" are featured on davecullen.com's "Daily Sheet."  See the review here:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10818.msg322201#msg322201

If you haven't visited the Lazy L ranch yet, the complete fic is linked at the beginning of this thread!  Enjoy.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”