Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 300823 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #400 on: June 27, 2006, 10:24:25 am »
Thanks, Jane. You should consider buildling an outdoor shower. Communing with nature is nice and look what it inspires! LOL

For my 15 minutes of fame, A Love Born From Steel is in "The Daily Sheet" at www.davecullen.com

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10818.msg322201#msg322201

Hopefully I will get a few new readers!

L
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:36:18 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Lazy L Farm house
« Reply #401 on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:33 am »
Leslie!

Wrong colour, but this is more of the style House I was thinking Hal lived in on the Lazy L farm.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 11:08:59 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline David

Re: A Love Born From Steel: all threads now merged here
« Reply #402 on: June 27, 2006, 10:48:41 am »
The Lazy L farm house before Jack and Ennis painted it Rose.

And edited to get rid of the trees for a more "Texas" feel.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:16:25 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #403 on: June 27, 2006, 11:25:14 am »
I like that picture, David and that's very similar to what I pictured. The bowed window would be in the master bedroom upstairs. Remember when Ennis was sitting in the chair while Jack looked for the shorts and shirts? That's where the chair would be.

I like the little stained glass windows, too. Never mentioned those...maybe I need to go back and edit the part where Ennis is washing windows to put them in.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #404 on: June 27, 2006, 11:40:58 am »
Thanks, Jane. You should consider buildling an outdoor shower. Communing with nature is nice and look what it inspires! LOL

For my 15 minutes of fame, A Love Born From Steel is in "The Daily Sheet" at www.davecullen.com

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10818.msg322201#msg322201

Hopefully I will get a few new readers!

L

Leslie,

I saw the Dave Cullen article this morning and was going to post about it, but you beat me to it!  Very cool.  I was happy (grateful) to learn that you're continuing the Lazy L stories...I *love* having more of your Jack and Ennis to look forward to.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2006, 11:43:46 am »
Leslie,

I saw the Dave Cullen article this morning and was going to post about it, but you beat me to it!  Very cool.  I was happy (grateful) to learn that you're continuing the Lazy L stories...I *love* having more of your Jack and Ennis to look forward to.

Lynne

Thank you, Lynne. The story is forming in my brain. Of course, I have this pesky thing called real life to deal with at the moment...

L

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2006, 11:44:59 am »
Leslie, That little drabble is great.  The repartee shows two people who are comfortable with each other, and sure of each other.  I remember that first week they were together, and Jack was always seeking reassurance from Ennis that he would not up and leave.  I guess after 30 years he has got over that!  No Ennis can't keep Jack out of that shower with Ennis.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #407 on: June 28, 2006, 11:53:57 am »
Leslie, That little drabble is great.  The repartee shows two people who are comfortable with each other, and sure of each other.  I remember that first week they were together, and Jack was always seeking reassurance from Ennis that he would not up and leave.  I guess after 30 years he has got over that!  No Ennis can't keep Jack out of that shower with Ennis.

I think he had gotten over it by the end of the first summer...or maybe even the middle of the summer.

A few people have criticized me, saying that Jack using a suicide threat as a way of "catching" or forcing the issue is emotionally manipulative--and that Ennis will forever have the threat of that hanging over his head, so he could never leave. To those comments, I take the view that someone who is truly suicidal (and Jack was: he had a plan, had verbalized his intent, and had the means, ie, a gun) does not have the emotional resources to be manipulative. A suicide threat is a cry for help and Ennis correctly recognized it as such.

I did try to revist the theme of depression throughout the story, each time showing that Jack was getting better and becoming more self-aware of what he had gone through. But yes, in those first few weeks, Jack needed lots of reassurance: one, because he truly couldn't believe that Ennis was really there and wouldn't bolt and two, because he was still not fully mentally healthy...but he was by the end.

L

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #408 on: June 28, 2006, 12:45:01 pm »
Leslie, I totally agree with you.  Jack was suicidal, he had been thinking of it, and had a gun in the glove compartment of his truck.  He was dead serious.  And I think it was because he was dead serious that Ennis decided to join Jack in a sweet life.  I have tried to think of something else that would have gotten Ennis to go in with Jack.  I can't.  I think his suicidal depression was the needed, deep jolt to Ennis' stubborness. What a strong and powerful and insightful chapter!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #409 on: June 28, 2006, 12:48:57 pm »
The Lazy L farm house before Jack and Ennis painted it Rose.

And edited to get rid of the trees for a more "Texas" feel.

David, you have come up with the farm house of my imagination.  Great!  Now can you paint it "prarie rose"?