Author Topic: Police Dog  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Police Dog
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:44:40 am »
Sorry, I couldnt find anywhere else to put this.

Check out the speed of the police dog here, as the offender fires a gun, and in a split second is grounded by the police dog.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Police Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:32:39 am »
Holy Geez!!! Very athletic. The police officers probably fight over who gets to have that dog as a partner! I wonder what breed it is? I can't see it very clearly, but it looks smaller than a German Shepherd. Do you know, Katie77?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:56:46 pm »
I wonder what breed it is? I can't see it very clearly, but it looks smaller than a German Shepherd. Do you know, Katie77?

It's a Malinois. Belgian Shepherd Dog.

A bit smaller and lighter built than German Shepherds, the face more pointed (sharp?, fox-like?), but similar in proportions.

There are four variations of Belgian Shepherds:

Groenendael

Laekenois

Malinois

Tervuren

Malis (their name is shortened to Mali) are very, very popular for the use as police dogs. In many countries they overtook the GSD for this use because many blood-lines of the GSD are simply ruined for the use as working dogs. They have been downbred for "beauty" and to fit on the sofa.

Malis are more agil and have more fierceness than most blood-lines of the GSD. The GSD basically is split into two breeds today: working lines (thankfully they still exist, breeders whose utmost goal is to breed dogs suitable for serious work) and show lines.

The Mali is a wonderful dog, but he needs to work. Otherwise they tend to get aggressive and/or destructive. Exceptions prove the rule, as always.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:47 pm »
I have heard of using Malinois as police dogs and dogs for the army--but I didn't know about the variations. That's very interesting. The dog in that video is certainly quick! How terrifying would that be to see him sailing toward you! I"m sure he put the clamps on that guy. Job well done!

Thanks for the pictures and explanations, Chrissi. I love dogs.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:21:58 pm »
Thanks for the pictures and explanations, Chrissi. I love dogs.

You're welcome. I also love dogs. Before BBM, I was a member in a forum for dog-owners. I'm still a member there, but barely go over anymore. Coincidently, I've seen exactly this video (as part of a longer video) posted there. If I remember correctly, it's a demonstration of K9 dogs trained by Hans Schlegel (or at least after his methods).

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 05:27:50 pm »
Wow, what a fascinating video!  The speed is amazing. 

The info about the different Belgian Shepherds was really interesting.  I learned something new!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:55:37 pm »
You're welcome. I also love dogs. Before BBM, I was a member in a forum for dog-owners. I'm still a member there, but barely go over anymore. Coincidently, I've seen exactly this video (as part of a longer video) posted there. If I remember correctly, it's a demonstration of K9 dogs trained by Hans Schlegel (or at least after his methods).

Chrissi, you should post a picture of your dog in here. He's so cute. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:36:32 pm »
This is the email that accompanied the video.....

This Is One Fast Police Dog

Notice the suspect behind the car, apparently firing a gun - you see the smoke from the muzzle, and a split second later - the Shepherd Police Dog leaps across the roof of the auto, clamps onto the suspect, and brings him down so quickly -
 you'll watch it several times to really appreciate the valor of this dog.

This police dog is so fast, you have to watch this a few times to appreciate it.
 Go dog, go!!

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:36:12 pm »
I love watching police dogs in action.  They are extremely effective and OMG so fast.

Thanks for posting.  I think there is going to be a reality TV show soon about cops and their canine partners.